Three's Company (1977 to 1984)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I liked the misunderstandings. I'm sure there were a lot of guys out there who tuned in to see a pony-tailed and bra-less Susanne Sommers jump up and down...you know the producers told her to do that.

I watched The Waltons because my mom was a big fan of the show, but I really don't remember the Rev. Fordwick character.:confused:

2. Capt. Cadillac

Capt. Cadillac Forum Resident

[​IMG]

3. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Priscilla Barnes was gorgeous, and old-school '4os/'50s classy.

I don't know what happened to her after it ended. It's too bad she and Joyce DeWitt were props, all too often. I think they were both too good for the show, and deserved better.

Three's Company was pretty bad, and Ritter could only do so much, as talented as he was. It was his show, for what it's worth.

4. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Yeah, I mean it wasn't a great show. But I don't think it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be silly and fun, with likeable characters. And it was that.

It probably helps if you grew up with it. I wasn't really old enough to watch it during its run, but somehow it was on when I was a kid/teen. Syndication I guess. So I have fond memories of the show, and sometimes that's all one needs to like something for the rest of their life.

Lots of shows have come and gone, many of them mostly forgotten. This one has endured to some extent, forty years later. It airs daily here. People still talk about it. That counts for something.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No accounting for tastes, I suppose.

6. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

I also remember (when I was 8) when the Jack Tripper spin-off Three's A Crowd came on... for one season.
    [​IMG]
    It lasted only 22 episodes before the whole franchise came to a rather uneventful ending.

There were some hot babes on Three's Company, but really the Ritter physical comedy and the farcical situations were the main appeal of the show (well, okay, they were tied with the legs and jiggling). But I can safely say that, for me, the one and only appeal of the rather boring Three's a Crowd was the lovely Mary Cadorette, who played Jack's woman Vicky. There is literally no other reason to watch this show.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I'm 100% behind you on that, It's always a case by case basis. I've already said here on this forum many times how much better All In The Family is compared to Til' Death Us Do Part. AITF molded Archie into a fuller, rounder character (no pun intended), Alf Garnett by comparison is just a guy who screams racial slurs for 30 minutes (at least it feels like it anyway!).

I guess it's down to who's seen what first. I wasn't familiar with TC until years later, having already seen re-runs of MATH, G&M, and Robin's Nest for years on TV, so they are 'THE' characters to me. TC seems like a weird second dimension to me.

Probably is by American standards, I'm meaning the distance between pieces of furnature, and walls. There's a tendancy to have much more 'walk room' in U.S. sitcoms which feels, at least to me, more like a stage play rather than a peek into an actual world. The MATH flat is small and pokey, I've been in and seen places like that in real life, wheras that TC set looks like a mansion in comparison IMO.

Take the scene where they find Robin in the bath. That bathroom is small and pokey, with barely much room to move about. That is what bathrooms (at least in NZ in older houses) are like, it's relatable to my experience. That TC bathroom feels huge by comparison to me.

Wilcox and Thomsett look like normal people you'd meet and see in everyday live, the kind of person you'd flat with, or go out with, or marry etc... The American actresses come across as more 'Playboy Magazine' types, at least to me.

eddiel likes this.
  8. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I see what you're saying about walking room and bathroom size, but multi-cam sitcoms are, essentially, filmed plays, so it makes sense.
    I do agree that, from what I've seen, British sitcoms--even multi-cam ones--tend to look much more realistic.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    goodiesguy likes this.
  9. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

It's nice to see someone get's what I'm on about. I'd hate to think people here think I'm anti-American, I'm not and the U.S. has made some wonderful shows. I'm just trying to provide a different perspective, an outsider looking in if you will.

OldSoul likes this.
  10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I saw what you are on about but to me it makes little sense in this case.

If you were talking about the Friends TV show set, I would understand as that's fairly unrealistic even if you do manage to get into a rent controlled building. Compare that set with say the Seinfeld apartment sets, which were generally much smaller and more typical of the places I saw in NYC. I stayed in a big place in NYC and but the owner was not broke. :)

For TC, that is a small set and I don't really get how anyone can describe it as anything other than that. Calling it a mansion compared to the MATH set is over the top. Especially since it's not that small.

I've been in flats in England that were bigger than that and were affordable. So it's not like the MATH set is the only reality available to the shows producers. I expect, the set was a creative decision as much as a reflection of what might be more realistic for three broke people sharing a flat.

Both would be typical of where the shows are based. The other apartments on that show are all small. The Ropers apartment is basically a one bed as was Larry's. There's no real extravagance on that show apartment size wise.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Strat-Mangler and OldSoul like this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah probably. You get used to the characters and seeing different versions of them can be off putting. In this case, they kept a lot of the same names and ideas, character personalities, etc IIRC.

Sort of reminds me of when I moved back and tried to watch the US version of the office. I was so used to the UK version that I could pick out the story lines they used from the UK show. It was off putting for sure. But they eventually moved away from it and developed the characters differently so I didn't really think of the UK version much.

goodiesguy and OldSoul like this.
  12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Mr. Furley was one of the funniest roles ever.

13. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

That's why I didn't get that comment, either. The apartment in Three's Company is not in any way big for a three-person apartment in Santa Monica (or wherever the hell it was) in the late-70s. In fact, I'd say it was smaller than average for a three-person apartment.

Hell, when I was 20 and lived in a three-person apartment in western Canada in the 1990s, it was at least twice as big as the Three's Company apartment! (Mind you, this wasn't in Santa Monica.)

eddiel likes this.
  14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

thanks for this!

Capt. Cadillac likes this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Priscilla had a decent career after "Three's Company". Check her credits, she did quite a bit:

Priscilla Barnes - Wikipedia

misteranderson likes this.
  16. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

She also had a decent career before Three’s Company ...Penthouse Pet of the Month In March 1976 under the name Joann Witty

LouChang likes this.
  17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

they tried, first episode was really good but they just couldnt keep it up

18. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Depends on where said apartment was located. In New York City, it would be considered a palace and would be coveted by many.

In Dallas, Toledo, Milwaukee, Atlanta, etc, it would be modest.

The thing about it was there were 3 people living in what was essentially a place for 2. The girls shared a bedroom. Two people or an established couple would do quite nicely there, especially considering it was withing walking distance to the Pacific Ocean and staggering distance to the Regal Beagle.

19. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Reminds me of....

Right before she received her own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Kaley Cuoco (Penny on "Big Bang Theory") visited her late TV father's star. In fact, she requested her own star to be close to John Ritter's.

[​IMG]

20. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up! I loved this show back in the 80’s.

jason88cubs likes this.
  21. Captain Paul

Captain Paul Forum Resident

Slightly off topic but needs to be shared. John Ritter was awesome! Gone too soon!

soundboy, jamesc, Dan C and 4 others like this.
  22. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

Ritter turned a lot of heads with this performance and held his own against Alfre Woodard as well. Quite a wrenching film.

23. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

John Ritter also did an amazing guest appearance on "Law and Order SVU" as a husband/doctor who removed the fetus from his dead, cheating wife's womb. It's ranked #1 as the worst crime committed on the show....

Law & Order: The 10 Worst Crimes Committed In The Whole Franchise

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  24. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I had no idea. There wasn't a whisper about it back then.

25. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Oh man, I remember that episode. Not easy to watch. I used to binge SVU all the time.

I also remember Ritter from Sling Blade. I didn't even recognize him at first, but he did a really job in that dramatic supporting role. And of course on the flip side, Bad Santa (so wrong, yet so funny).

Lee Davis, jamesc and soundboy like this.