Thrill of Discovery

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Nov 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been a music loving, record collecting, live show attending "freak" for most of my 58 years. This is nothing new to most of you as we are all part of the same club. The thing I love the most is discovering a new artist or record that totally hits my sweet spot. I don't want to start a "get off my lawn kid" thread, but most newer "rock" artists don't speak to me anymore. I try, but I usually end up back in my phone library or collection with the tried and true records and artists I have come to know and love. Like most of you this is not a small group of artists so I always have plenty to listen to.

I'm not adverse to newer artists, I just don't dig the newer sounds I hear. I need music to speak to me. There are plenty of artists that are current that I love, they just don't make traditional rock (I lean towards the Americana side of things nowadays). The thing is is still want that feeling I get when I hear something new or something I have been missing.

Long story short I was going through a Spotify recommendation playlist and a track come up by an artist I had heard of but never really listened to...Chris Rea's Road to Hell. Loved the track so I played the whole album. Loved the album. Grabbed one of the last couple of copies on Amazon. Loving the record more each play. He kind of fits that Dire Straits vibe. Just great. I have some more exploring to do.

My question for you is, what have you discovered lately that you missed the first time around ? What has given you that thrill of discovery? I love those "where have you been all my life" moments. New music doesn't have to be new in 2020...it just needs to be new to me.

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Picked up ' Road To Hell ' a few years back at a thrift shop on a whim. Glad I did.
    Enjoyable album. love that long slow intro into it.
    He's not the greatest singer but he has an emotional delivery that makes up for it
    Are you not familiar with his '78 hit ' Fool ( If You Think It's Over)?

Chris S. likes this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

All the news about the new Thin Lizzy box set made realize that besides The Boys are Back in Town I didn't know anything about the band. I'm having a good time diving into their music. Great stuff. You can teach an old dog new tricks!

Purple Jim and zphage like this.
  4. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

I've spent the entire pandemic falling in absolute love with Richard and Linda Thompson. Not a bad choice, I'd say!

5. Chris S.

I wasn't. I worked in a record store from the mid 80's until around 2003 and don't ever remember even stocking one of his records. It's good to catch up.

6. Chris S.

I need to go deeper. I had Shoot Out the Lights for years but mostly lost track of him over the years. I saw him open for Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell back a few years and was blown away. Still catching up with his extensive catalog. What a great guitar player.

Keam likes this.
  7. Chris S.

Johnny the Fox and Bad Reputation are almost as good.

8. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

This is a great live album, terrific band, and Thompson is in peak form. As far as Richard and Linda go, I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight and Pour Down Like Silver are must haves.
    [​IMG]

9. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

John Martyn.

Not sure why I didn't adore his work in the '70s ... I was (and remain) a huge Nick Drake fan, and they're fellow travelers of a sort. I spent this afternoon listening to him on Spotify -- probably end up getting 2-3 albums of his.

JackS and jay.dee like this.
  10. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

[QUOTE="Chris S., post: 25466147, member: 44458"
    My question for you is, what have you discovered lately that you missed the first time around ? What has given you that thrill of discovery? I love those "where have you been all my life" moments. New music doesn't have to be new in 2020...it just needs to be new to me.[/QUOTE]

Just to throw some recommendations out there (based on Chris Rea) - not that they are a directly similar sound, just that laid-back r./chill vibe.
    Not new:
    World Party

New/ 21st Century artist, combining a similar vibe to World Party (Karl Wallinger) & The Eagles:
    Jesse Malin, who, formerly in '90s was a punk rocker who crossed over to americana - esp. rec. Sunset Kids album.

As for Richard & Linda Thompson, I am digging their son, Teddy, esp. 2020's Heartbreaker Please. Think Chris Isaak crossed w/The Everyly Brothers & some tunes also have a stax records vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du3KPVQUmLw - Jesse M. "Room 13" off Sunset Kids
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1NPCAxPlFE - Teddy T. Heartbreaker Please title track.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIRhLMS8crs - Teddy, At A Light
    :tiphat::)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Chris S. likes this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

My most exciting discoveries that were not new at the time, over the past couple decades, included a band from New York named October Project, featuring the vocals of Mary Fahl, and the solo career of Edgar Boughton Band's lead singer Lewis Taylor.
    Taylor was a remarkably soulful singer who had strong characters of Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Beach Boys (!) and Jamiroquoi; October Project as a band was ten members with varied folk-tinged arrangements, and a powerful-voiced lead singer whose strong identity was beyond many of the "sing-like-a-girl" vocalists of its' day...her solo stuff is just as remarkable.

I'm not one of those here who is still fumbling through the artists of my youth, trying to find those I missed the first time, nor do I feel stuck in the idioms of the past to the point I can't appreciate younger artists. Most of my current favorites are not only from this century, but getting recognition for their current music and style, and unabashedly pop leanings. At age 64, I'm not soured on the modern offerings because their variety goes far beyond what one assumes they all are, based on what your daughter listens to, or who Saturday Night Live books as Flavor Of The Month. Neither am I paying attention to what radio is excited about in this country, as I spent 3+ decades working there, and have always been peeking around the fringes for what the medium tends to ignore, as I have consistently for half a century.

Bottom line, I am not done discovering new music...nor am I focusing on the eras of music my peers and I grew up in, to find it.

Chris S. likes this.
  12. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

So much great music has been made over the past, let's say, 800 years that it is impossible to know it all and a lot of fun exploring. That is what I do. Rock, Pop, Electronic, Jazz, Blues, Classical, Ancient, it's all fair game.

c-eling likes this.
  13. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

@Chris S. since you mentioned you are not averse to listening to new(er) artists, you might enjoy these, too esp. since you mentioned you like americana:
    Lilly Hiatt (John's daughter)
    Lydia Loveless
    Jade Jackson
    (Mike Ness/Social Distortion son is on lead guitar.)
    Waxahatchee

not americana... Tom Petty (R.I.P. mentored them, having caught a live show in California & enjoying them so much, he brought them back to his home/ studio to record their debut album):
    The Shelters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D71VXAENMuc&list=OLAK5uy_m57rhY2mZe-3hTtUdu27i-2AQs8RtCSXQ&index=3 - Lydia, Wringer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GCB0_l6_Tk&list=OLAK5uy_nuynP_aIU6sVMjvbD06ozaKR3lJumQcwA&index=2 - Jade Jackson, City Lights
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHuhABPbOaE - Waxahatchee, Can't Do Much, off what's on best of's lists for 2020 - I don't follow lists, but have read it numerous xs early-on in year.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTzABNagmaA - The Shelters
    :tiphat::)

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Holy crap - an absolute TON of new stuff. In fact, I'm drowning in it, and I only do physical media! If I did streaming, my head would explode.

Today I received a new box set from an ensemble called Gentle Fire. Never knew of them just four days ago. I got an email saying a box was being released, went on Youtube and listened to the only album with them that was on there, to holding the box set in my hands a few days later.

I won't list all the new things (that is new to me, not necessarily new as in new artists, AKA: young folk). Seriously, there is so much of it. Instead I'll say this - it doesn't help that I've been getting into different genres. For example, I've always struggled with Opera (in other words, hated it). But I started to hear some modern composers (through following Bang on a Can, and their label Cantaloupe Records), and I've really been liking that. It's a whole new world. Since I've never been into Opera, my Opera collection is very, very, small. I could spent the next year just digging into that. Contemporary Classical is an evergreen field for me too. Just lots and lots of stuff there.

As for Rock - I'm with you. Compared to many, I essentially listen to NO new Rock music. I have taken a liking to artists relatively new to me - King Crimson for example, and for the first time in my lifetime, I've been enjoying The Doors. I've bought some Groundhogs after only really knowing Thank Christ for the Bomb and so on. But new Rock bands? No. Not because I don't like what I hear, but because I spend zero time looking. The last thing I need right now is more new music. :D

So I say - branch out! Find new sounds in other genres. Be adventurous. Since you Stream, a whole lot is but one-click away, right? What do you have to lose? Since I'm into Physical media, money is a confining factor - and to be honest, I NEED some limiting factor, otherwise I'd spend all my time looking for new things, without ever truly spending time with other things I found I liked...........

jay.dee likes this.
  15. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

There's lots of great new music out there. Hiss Golden Messenger has released two live albums during the pandemic, both excellent. They're available on Bandcamp (to preview and to purchase) and the proceeds go to a good cause:

[​IMG] : : : : [​IMG]

There was a thrill of "rediscovery" for me with both of these.

16. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

?? That's what makes a great singer, (to me anyway). Check out Chris singing "Baby Please Don't Go", from Bill Wyman's "Willie and The Poor Boys" project, from the mid 80's. That's when I first heard of him, which led me to Road To Hell. And another single around the same time, "I'm Working On It"

https://youtu.be/_o3ldhYIkEg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  17. Cool hand luke

Chris Rea - I'm Working On It

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

That sounds exactly like Chris Rea signing a Chris Rea song on a Chris Rea album. Great!

19. Cool hand luke

And thanks for taking the time to point all that out. The thread starter was talking about how he just discovered the Road To Hell album and Chris Rea, so I was just offering a little input. Shouldn't you be listening to your new Gentle Fire box set? You got time to bust my balls?

20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Dude, I was supporting (or at least, attempting to) your assertion that "That's what makes a great singer, (to me anyway)". Chris Rea sounds like Chris Rea, and therefore how can it sound bad? How else should he sound? :D

Chill man. :)

Gentle Fire is a night time experience, and I think I'm going straight rock today.

21. Cool hand luke

Sorry man I read it all wrong.... I actually am chilling myself .. cup of coffee, Sunday morning, the couch and digging on some 1970 Dylan. Cheers to you my friend and enjoy your day! Peace

P.S. of course now i gotta go check out this "Gentle Fire" !

22. Chris S.

Thanks for sharing. I didn’t love the studio stuff I heard, but this sounds really good.

23. Chris S.

There is a ton of new music I enjoy, it just leans more Americana/country sounding. Sometimes though I miss that sound that I always turn back to so finding new to me music is new music.

I love hearing Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton's newest is pretty great, someone pointed me to War On Drugs newest live album and that sounds pretty good.

24. soam

soam Forum Resident

Sometimes I will just find a jazz track I like and pick out one of the musicians on the track I am not familiar with and try to go down the rabbit hole of discovering their music. I did this with Francy Boland recently and now I have a couple of Belgium jazz discs in the mail that I'm looking forward to diving into. I've found some great music this way.

Vaughan likes this.
  25. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I discovered Patti Smith a couple of weeks ago. "People Have The Power" was on the radio. I only knew "Because the Night" which I don't like very much. Now I have all of her albums. Great discovery, great woman!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.