"Throw The 'Mats A Dime": The Replacements News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 18, 2019.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Is there more info on those alternates? Just curious, I was wondering if "Can't Hardly Wait" was actually another demo, a run-through, a basic track for overdubs, etc. "Alex Chilton" seems to be less 'bare' so maybe that's just an early take?

2. Jason_Rhino

Jason_Rhino Forum Resident

Both are earlier takes. Since we had the rough mixes of each track on PTMM DLX, I decided to leave these off since I knew we'd be doing some sort of RSD piece down the road, and I wanted to add some sort of exclusive audio as a part of the offering.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Thanks Jason. The rough mixes are also a better listen, so had those early takes been included, it probably would've felt too redundant rather than adding much to the overall set.

dee and Jason_Rhino like this.
  4. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

Spent the morning throwing these together based on posts here, liner notes, scattered information, @morelikespace's sessionography, etc. If anyone cares. Mainly stemmed from my desire to listen to the material presented by chronological/session-based order rather than "flow" or "listenability" more of a historical type of thing that aims to be as complete and accurate as possible. Pretty fun to piece together, and if I'm missing anything let me know, all I did were DTAS-era and PTTM sans the Blackberry demos, I'll get to them eventually... or maybe someone's already gone through the organizing and agonizing work here. This also disregards mixing differences and the criteria I was using was if the basic tracking is the same between versions/releases. For instance, Portland is represented by the mix present on DMP despite the other mix being on AFN and the 08' DTAS.

01 - Portland
    02 - Achin' To Be
    03 - I'll Be You
    04 - Wake Up
    05 - We'll Inherit The Earth
    06 - Last Thing In The World
    07 - They're Blind
    08 - Rock 'n' Roll Ghost
    09 - I Won't (Instrumental)
    10 - Darlin' One

Sourced from DMP

01 - Talent Show
    02 - I'll Be You
    03 - We'll Inherit The Earth
    04 - Achin' To Be
    05 - Darlin' One
    06 - Back To Back
    07 - I Won't
    08 - Asking Me Lies
    09 - They're Blind
    10 - Anywhere's Better Than Here
    11 - Rock 'n' Roll Ghost
    12 - Asking Me Lies #2
    13 - Dance On My Planet
    14 - We Know The Night
    15 - Ought To Get Love
    16 - Gudbuy T'Jane
    17 - Lowdown Monkey Blues
    18 - If Only You Were Lonely
    19 - I Can Help
    20 - Date To Church
    21 - We Know The Night (Rehearsal)
    22 - We Know The Night (Full Band)

All sourced from DMP. 1-11 are the 2019 Matt Wallace mixes. Cruella would have fit here but it wasn't from Cherokee so I didn't want to include it.

01 - Valentine
    02 - Never Mind
    03 - Birthday Gal
    04 - Alex Chilton
    05 - Election Day
    06 - Kick It In
    07 - Red Red Wine
    08 - The Ledge
    09 - I.O.U.
    10 - Can't Hardly Wait
    11 - Nightclub Jitters
    12 - Skyway
    13 - Cool Water
    14 - Learn How To Fail
    15 - Run for the Country
    16 - All He Wants To Do Is Fish
    17 - I Can Help
    18 - Lift Your Skirt
    19 - Till We're Nude
    20 - Beer for Breakfast
    21 - Trouble on the Way
    22 - I Don't Know (Alternate)
    23 - Tossin' N' Turnin'
    24 - Jungle Rock
    25 - Route 66
    26 - Alex Chilton (Alternate)
    27 - Can't Hardly Wait (Alternate)
    28 - Try To Make This Your Home
    29 - Going Out Of My Head

1-13 are the rough mixes and sourced from the PTMM deluxe. 14-25 sourced from PTMM deluxe. 26 and 27 sourced from the 08 PTMM. 28 and 29 sourced from bootlegs. I'm also reading of a version of Photo/P.O. Box that was recorded at Ardent though, at least from where I've looked, I can only find the Blackberry Way demo on the 2008 and 2020 PTMM as well as boots. Is there any confirmation this was re-recorded at Ardent or is that an erroneous listing?

5. Jason_Rhino

Jason_Rhino Forum Resident

Anyone snag the RSD release? I think it sounds/looks fantastic, but then again I'm slightly biased.

6. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

My copy is arriving Monday. Can't wait to hear it!

Brian Lux and Jason_Rhino like this.
  7. nodeerforamonth

Wow! This is really, really, REALLY good! Like Keith Richards meets the Replacements. But with louder guitars. Nice sound, nice mix. Good songs!

All songs written by Mike Leonard. I think this guy deserves some credit! Pretty good songwriter (admittedly influenced by the Stones and 'Mats)!

Love the liner notes too. I went to the CC Club in June of '94 in the hopes of meeting and hanging out with Bob Stinson. Never got to, but that's probably a good thing.

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I made the pilgrimage to the CC Club a couple years too late to meet Bob. But when I went to take a piss, I found that someone had placed a sticker with his likeness just above one of the urinals. An appropriate homage.

Looking forward to hearing this album when it (presumably) gets a digital release. If it's Stonesy rock, I'm assuming Bob gets a lot of opportunities to shine?

9. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

A friend snagged it for me without my knowing ahead of time. Talk about an amazingly fine surprise! To busy to get to it today, but will definitely be spinning it tomorrow!!!

dee and Greenalishi like this.
  10. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

linklinc1 likes this.
  11. Given that Cobraside is putting it out and not their old label, I’d agree. Sounds like a boot sourced from an FM broadcast to me.

12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

To my knowledge there was no FM broadcast. There's three different audience tapes of that show that circulate.

This thing is on LP. Have bootleg records actually made a comeback? Apparently they have... guess that shouldn't surprise me. With a quick search I found a website which is selling this Toronto thing plus some other new Mats records that are obviously bootlegs (well-known, well-traded shows from the 80s).

(edited to remove the link to the website in question so I don't publicize that sorta thing and/or get my post deleted by mods).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    AlienRendel and dee like this.
  13. nodeerforamonth

Bootleg records have been having a huge comeback. Mainly due to some loophole in foreign law that allows radio broadcasts to be sold. Some just say it's an FM broadcast on the cover and has an audience recording on the vinyl.

14. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I hope other 'Mats fans here are avoiding these unless it's known for sure the guys in the band are getting royalties from them (highly unlikely). If they aren't getting paid, no one will ever see any of them on my records shelf. No way.

AlienRendel, DME1061 and dee like this.
  15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Huh. I'm surprised, but I guess I shouldn't be. To my mind, one of the great things about the internet is how it made live bootlegs essentially free. It blows my mind that anyone would want to go back to paying for them, and on an obsolete format, no less. Kids today... :rolleyes:

frightwigwam and AlienRendel like this.
  16. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

That happens on a lot of these grey market releasea.

17. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Rough Trade website claims this is the first of a series of authorized live releases. This Riot Fest show is outside the restrictions of any record contract the band had. Maybe a band member “sold” the rights?

18. I won't lie, I would love to hear this. I was at that show and it was fantastic. I won't buy it if it's grey market pillaging, however.

19. WarEagleRK

The description on Bull Moose, Amazon and Rough Trade states...

"First in a series of authorized double live Replacements LPs to be released! This one captures the band at their reunion show (after a 22 year absence) at Toronto's Riot Fest in 2013, before nearly 10,000 fans."

- Replacements - Live At Riot Fest Toronto

https://smile.amazon.com/Live-At-Riot-Fest-Toronto/dp/B09YDBX9SL/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3N1M9ESGC3QW8&keywords=replacements+riot+fest&qid=1655183849&s=music&sprefix=replacements+riot+fest,popular,147&sr=1-1

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/the-replacements/live-at-riot-fest-toronto

I wish they would also do a CD release of this series.

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Some more research tells me that Tommy released a single on Cobraside in 2015. So perhaps he's the "authorizer."

That's a really amateurish/bootleggy style album cover there on amazon. Though I guess tossing out a random show on a record with a bootleggish cover would be a Mats-style thing to do. That being the case, it wouldn't surprise me if they just sourced it from an audience tape, a la SHTF.

21. dee

dee Senior Member

Feel like am going OT based on the latest news above!

Been into the 44? other PTMM over the 3CD set, trying to make it more organized for my listening pleasure.

After resequencing DMP to that of DTAS, it's easier to gauge the effect. Not sure I'll Be You woulda been a 'hit' at the DMP speed and mix. Anyway, it's more clinical and insightful for my hearing with the DMP track order mirroring that of DTAS. After a few years now. I still find things to prefer about certain songs that are somewhat in opposition to one another.

So, finally getting around to doing the same with the PTMM set with all the available tracks released. With multiple inclusions of Birthday Gal, Cool Water, Kick It In iirc, there's a lot of sorting to do. But using the extra tracks to mirror the PTMM album is an enjoyable endeavour when complete.

So, basically a whole 'companion album' to the masterpiece that PTMM is. An enjoyable one.

Trying to do the same with the extra tracks from DMP to sort of make a 3rd album of DTAS but am a few tracks short.

The Tommy Stinson songs on the PTMM set are a friggin' gift. I think there are 4 tracks total? Really adds
    more joy to the PTMM 3CD set.

Might be in too deep choosing my favorite keeper versions of Election Day, Cool Water, Kick It In, Birthday Gal, and Fish, but it's all good. They add up to 12 tracks if I'm counting right.

Of course Run For The Country and Learn How To Fail are top shelf.

The Maxwell's release is a real keeper too. Got to be one of the finest concert releases recorded in the 80s.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  22. dee

dee Senior Member

So this is legit? If so wonder what the audio source will be? I missed them on that tour due to location. Almost 10 years ago now?!

Inconcerated was very uneven for me. Have to make a best-of that yet for myself. Maxwell's set a high bar ;).

23. WarEagleRK

Seems like it is legit. I wonder if they recorded all of the shows on that last tour? I'm not a vinyl guy, which makes me sad to miss out on these.

24. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

Is there a circulating soundboard or broadcast of that show? I don't think so... I'm only familiar with a few audience recordings. If this is a new source that'd be quite welcome and interesting, authorized or not.

nodeerforamonth and dee like this.
  25. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

They filmed the Minneapolis and NYC shows (not sure about the rest). There was talk of putting out a DVD at the time. I would bet all of the reunion shows have at least soundboard recordings.