"Throw The 'Mats A Dime": The Replacements News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 18, 2019.

1. linklinc1

linklinc1 Forum Resident

I'm guessing that all the shows from around then were pretty terrific. I can say first hand that the Tornto show sure was!!

It was the last time I saw them (and/or Paul Westerberg) & if I don't end up seeing Paul or the band ever again it was a great way to go out (the band/The Replacements being- Paul, Tommy & whoever they rustle up as the other replacement Replacements)...

2. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

What I wouldn't give to see Rhino tackle the PW solo discography...

If there is indeed a "series" of these live releases and it's coming from soundboard sources, to me that would be fantastic. Everything Rhino has done has been fantastic, but think about how many other random bits and bobs are just sitting there that would never make the final cut on one of the deluxe releases, this would be a great avenue to get random shows out... maybe we'll learn if it's worth a damn in three days.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Would love to get a DVD of the Minneapolis (or rather St. Paul) show. That was probably the peak of the reunion when it actually meant a hell of a lot to him and not just a way of making some money.

Also another reason why I'd want a DVD - a fight actually broke out where I was standing, so there's like two, maybe three numbers near the beginning of the show that weren't as enjoyable as they could be for me.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  4. Music Saves

Music Saves Forum Resident

This is EXACTLY what needs to happen, let us will it into existence!

5. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Maybe Jason from Rhino or Bob Mehr can chime in here about this upcoming release. I imagine they would know something about this series,, even if they have zero involvement in it.

6. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Just got notification that Tommy Stinson is playing in my hometown next month. That made my day.

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I’ve been given some off-the-record information about the Toronto Riot Fest record, along with permission to report it here unsourced.

The release will not be the first in a series of live releases, it will be a one-off. It is authorized but not all interested parties were fully on board with the idea, so a decision was made to cancel further releases and keep this one limited in scope, kind of like an “authorized bootleg.” There will be no press or marketing and the print run will be small, only 1500 to 3000 total, vinyl only. It’s sourced from a soundboard, not a multi track recording.

The hope/intent is that there will eventually be a blu ray audio/video release of one or more reunion shows that is high-quality, professionally packaged and mixed from multi-track.

8. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

Interesting. Glad I bought my copy, and massive thanks to whoever in the Mats camp shared the soundboard source and gave a go ahead, shame there's disagreement. IMO any music coming out at all is a good thing, especially when the amount of one-off recordings like this is far too great to be limited to one release a year, sometimes not even that, tied to a box set, as fantastic as those box sets are. Don't care who's doing it, just give me more.

Speaking of which, and this is slightly off topic, but here's something else PW that surfaced a few months ago along with Cheyenne, Any Trouble, etc. An alternate version of Whatever Makes You Happy from an early SG promo, may be of interest to a few here... while we're on the subject of new music.

9. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

Just bought it.

dee and appearcomposed like this.
  10. dee

dee Senior Member

I hope you enjoy it and that its a good recording of guitars, vocals, and drums. Look forward to reading some reviews. By that time I suppose it will be sold out! Less instruments to mix for live sound too, the better, it should hopefully be.

appearcomposed and Ted Dinard like this.
  11. stoneknuckle

Are the Replacements allergic to making money or something?

They have a dedicated fan base that will buy anything they put out. I understand they are never going to do huge numbers, but unless the live recordings that were considered for this series are total garbage why not just give the people what they want.

I know, I know, it's the Mats, so I'm not surprised they pulled the plug.

They must truly hate us :D

Edgard Varese likes this.
  12. Eh; I don't know about "hate", but Westerberg's long been an inscrutable curmudgeon.

13. dbeamer407

dbeamer407 Forum Resident

I am the source of Any Trouble and She's Like The Rain. I have studio in-house copies of 3 Tracks and She's Like The Rain. It's a very long story but I "let those tracks go" so that fans could enjoy them in good faith that they would be distributed with a note about my interest in some Matthew Sweet demos (owed to me in a failed trade). I see that the other end of the deal has not been upheld this time either.

14. veon

veon Forum Resident

Has the Riot Fest vinyl shipped to anyone? It looks like it’s out of stock or backordered everywhere at this point

15. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Nope. Amazon's probably waiting for their copies to send out.

16. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I ordered from Bullmoose and is now showing out of stock.

17. stoneknuckle

Alliance's website changed from preorder to backorder yesterday, so it's delayed at best.

18. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

I ordered it from Popmarket tonight after seeing it here. All of the links above are sold out or back ordered. I hope they (Paul) doesn’t cancel the release.

19. dee

dee Senior Member

Took some time to line up the album sequence with the rough mixes and other tracks. Was illuminating, fun, and work.

IOU - rough mix fantastic, similar to album track but just different enough for my pleasure.
    Alex Chilton - used the track from the single CD PTMM - the bonus track from years ago. Like that one best of the two extras.
    IDK - neither included are close enough to alt or final take worthy, imo. Was going to use P.O. Box instead, there, and again the track from the 1CD release, which cooks!
    Jitters - sounds nice. Very similar to album track.
    Ledge - excellent also. Similar overall to album track
    NM - very good. Similar to album track
    Val - but with organ. Almost exactly as album track.
    Wine - neither version included felt like a finished take, especially vocally. May put Kick It In in its place.
    Pool - seems close to finished and love the down and dirty sound of it but the lyrics are more complete on the album and more together imo.
    Skyway - pretty similar to album take
    Can't Hardly Wait - of the additional bonus tracks of it, from PTMM, the album take is my favorite.

I like all of Tommy Stinson's songs. The recordings are good but not sure any fit in with the album sound quality or the album production.

That leaves Birthday Gal. The right sound and take of one of many might fit somewhere into the alternate album sequence? That song seems to me tailormade for what would be DTAS though.

Have a hard time hearing Learn How To Fail and Run For The Country in the album as for me they sound more like Tim than PTMM.

And Beer For Breakfast, Till We're Nude, and Lift Your Skirt, all seem like perfectly good essential filler but they all seem like they were tossed off rather than worked on. To me fwiw, tight takes of those 3 would have made PTMM even more fun and raucous, but its perfect as it is.

Anyway, trying to finish up a 1CD of the alternate album of PTMM, plus the 2 PW classic extras, plus the 4 Tommy Stinson songs, and 1 each of the Cool Water, Election Day, and Fish tracks. Plus the few cover songs. and the 3 other punky PW rockers. It might all fit on 1 CD too, or might not.

20. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

21. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

It's no longer a "pending transaction" from Popmarket on my card—deleted.

22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

If someone in the band wanted to keep this thing under the radar maybe an ultra-limited run wasn't the best tactic.

23. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

The Toronto set is still on SoundCloud.

Not sure if it's sanctioned by the band so I didn't post the link.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

There’s at least three different audience recordings of this show in circulation, so the recording on SoundCloud is likely one of them.

dee likes this.
  25. stoneknuckle

I emailed Cobraside this morning.

I just received this response.

It was delayed at the pressing plant, they finally are in transit to us as of yesterday.

PaulJay likes this.