"Throw The 'Mats A Dime": The Replacements News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 18, 2019.

1. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Yes, please!!! This would be fantastic news!!! Here’s hoping this is legit and fully realized (soon). Wow. How cool.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  2. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Maybe I’m just over optimistic but maybe somebody, somewhere twigged to the fact that the fan base may not be huge, but it’s rabid and they will pay.

3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Was Dead Man's Pop the working title for Don't Tell A Soul?

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes.

SteveFff, Crispy Rob and twicks like this.
  5. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Yeah, baby!

Mr. D, JohnS, SteveFff and 1 other person like this.
  6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

All Replacements recording are 'rough mixes'

7. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I take your joke...but those last 3 albums are actually pretty slickly done and buffed to a sheen.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, it was rough mixes by Matt Wallace, and in this case might not sound that rough at all. Might be the same takes of the songs, but very different from final album.
    Very likely.
    Could sound really different and be a shock to the system at first. I can live with a shock to my musical nervious system about now.
    Especially handing over a 4 disc set, and not trying to whittle it down to a 3 disc thing. We want those sessions and live shows in as complete form as possible.

9. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Mine has also suffered some kind of CD rot. Remember the version of Talent Show being great though and thinking 'why couldn't the album sound like this?'.

Count me as very excited about this release!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah, that's certainly what it is. The original album with the Bryan Adams dialed back.

I'm more excited about the Berg sessions. The two Berg tracks we already have are great, and I love the demo version of Talent Show where Chris is allowed to actually drum like himself rather than a machine. So the prospect of hearing more DTAS material like this is very cool.

11. DeeThomaz

Oh yeah.

I’m a little surprised the studio version of “Cruella DeVille” is missing. It was on the advance promos that went out for the Rhino Don’t Tell A Soul but seems to have been dropped at the last minute. Wonder if someone in the band really hates it?

On the other hand, with 20 tracks the disc might already be full. And with a live version on the Milwaukee show anyways, a track that’s readily available elsewhere is probably the most easily expendable. So no big deal. But I do find the track to be goofy fun and it’s nice when these sets can be as definitive as possible.

redsock likes this.
  12. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Excited for this...at the same time I was really pumped for the "unpolished" tracks on the Don't Tell A Soul re-release ("We'll Inherit The Earth" and "Talent Show" come to mind)...and in the end they weren't really that revelatory.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be buying this with extreme prejudice -- especially for the live show. I'm a real sicko who prefers the Slim era and the big, reverb-y snare drum.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It sorta makes sense to cover this album first, because with all the other records, the best stuff made it onto the albums and the outtakes are interesting but not as good. Whereas with DTAS, the outtakes are all far FAR better than what actually made it onto the album (at least based on what we've heard already on the 2008 remaster). And the Berg tracks aren't even really outtakes, but more like a complete lost album. Also, it's an appropriately Replacements-esque move to begin with a deluxe edition of their very worst album.

Looks like they were not able to clear Cruella DeVille for this release again...

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There are several ways to keep the costs down.
    1. Chop it down to 2 or 3 discs only.
    2. Do not hire anyone including Matt Wallace, etc. to come in and do a 2019 mix of any tracks.
    3. Try and not include tracks that were issued on discs three times already.
    4. Try and include only tracks that were written by the band, use fewer outside written (cover) songs.

Cruela falls into #s 3 and 4. So to me it makes perfect sense to eject it from the running unless a wildly different take was found that shows off the Sun / Rockabilly influenced sound of the band in a most uniquely different honky-tonk country way.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Nope. In 2008 they had to drop it from the DTAS reissue because A&M would not license the track to them (which was odd, because they had been willing to license it for the All For Nothing/Nothing for All comp just a few years earlier). Presumably licensing issues are the reason it's not on this set either.

16. DeeThomaz

Well said. Completely agree!

17. DeeThomaz

Thanks for clearing that up!

SteveFff likes this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think it could be gotten, but price is much higher than usual due to Disney involvement.

SteveFff likes this.
  19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

All I know is what Jesperson told me. He said they flat out would not license the track in 2008, not that it was cost-prohibitive to license it.

TheLoveDrags and SteveFff like this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think that this set looks pretty much perfect on paper if that track listing is true and correct. I hope that the 1989 live material gets a good mix, as I though Inconcerated was a rush job.

I also hope if anyone out there is reading this - that they do not "brick-wall" the sound in the mastering with hard compression and volume pounding into the red like they did on the Maxwell's set. Let the tracks breath in their normal range, and dynamics found in the original mixes.

21. McRich

McRich Forum Resident

Love The Replacements!!! I’ve been a fan since I heard “Left of the Dial” on my local college radio station on the left of the dial when it came out.

22. This looks good! I gotta say, when The 'Mats social media fires up again I get such a twinge of excitement.

DeeThomaz, SteveFff and McRich like this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, the same source that told you that the remaining unissued Tony Berg sessions were lost and could not be found/used. :laugh::agree::sigh::confused:

24. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I actually love the Don't Tell a Soul album as released. If the Wallace mix has a little less sheen on it, then that's even better.

25. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I think Don't Tell A Soul is my favorite 'Mats album overall. Excited for this. I doubt the mastering is going to be any good, but I'll still pick it up. Those Tom Waits sessions sound interesting!