"Throw The 'Mats A Dime": The Replacements News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 18, 2019.

1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Tony Berg's daughter is a very talented singer-songwriter named Z Berg. Formerly of the Like. Apropos of nothing except I'm a fan and he came up.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I doubt it, but I actually didn't even know until today that some promos of DTAS had gone out with Cruella on them, so your guess about this is as bad as mine. Remind me again, what was different about the announced contents of ASD compared to the eventual release?

uncle b likes this.
  3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

I refer you back to one of the forum’s most knowledgeable fans on the topic of The Replacements:

Replacements Remasters in '07?

Hey, I just noticed something while looking at my CDs. There's been some changes in tracklistings from the originally-announced tracklists posted back here. Cruella DeVille has been dropped from the bonus tracks on Don't Tell a Soul, and three of the All Shook Down demos have been replaced by three others (demos for Nobody, One Wink at a Time, and Torture have been replaced by demos for Someone Take the Wheel, My Little Problem, and Kissin' in Action).

I'm kinda disappointed about Cruella... anything that adds humor to that album is a good thing, and it's not like the CD is so overloaded with bonus tracks they needed to drop one to make room. The mastering on AFN/NFA is a bit compromised in the dynamics so I wouldn't have minded a remaster for that reason too. Wonder why they left it off?

The substitutions for ASD make sense, though. The three demos they removed are demos for the three weakest songs on the original album. The replacement demos are stronger. And I had been disappointed that the original tracklist lacked the Napolitano-free demo of "My Little Problem", so it was a pleasant surprise to see it turn up after all.

uncle b and Crispy Rob like this.
  4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

He may be knowledgeable, but his memory sucks. Thanks.

5. JayDeeEss

JayDeeEss Forum Resident

I always thought the production was the least of DTAS's issues -- more like complete creative burnout that's plagued Westerberg to this day -- plus the band's natural contrariness reaching obsessive-compulsive levels. ("Let's not even consider Jim Dickinson, he did too good of a job on the last album.") Sometimes I think that the butt-rock production may have actually been the best option for getting any sort of return on their time and money.

The songs just aren't there. We'll Inherit the Earth is the only keeper, Talent Show when I'm in a good mood. I'm curious about the Berg sessions... but just curious.

6. DeeThomaz

For me, “We’ll Inherit The Earth” is by far the low point on the album (with the early mix on the reissue an improvement, but not enough to salvage the song). Clearly, opinions vary.

quicksrt, twicks and TheLoveDrags like this.
  7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

What's funny about all this is most of the best songs aren't necessarily ones that will benefit from being more raw or stripped down. The more sort of straight ahead rockers are the weakest songs on the record. In my opinion anyway. Still really looking forward to hearing all of this of course.

DeeThomaz and ghoulsurgery like this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm hoping it's not just stripping down we'll hear, but different arrangements... like the contrast between the Kiss Me on the Bus demo and finished version.

9. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

Maybe Jesperson wasn't aware that Paul had these in his basement?
    Paul did use snippets from the Waits session for one of his online releases....
    So, I'm assuming it was his basement they were stashed in...

D.B. likes this.
  10. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

Same here.
    Listening to it right now as these posts had me a little scared... lol

SteveFff likes this.
  11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm guessing the "these we hid in the basement" comment was just someone being cute. I'm pretty sure Westerberg has nothing to do with what's written on twitter (or anywhere online) in the Replacements' name and I doubt he had possession of these tapes (he signed off on the 2008 reissues and I'm sure Jesperson asked him if he knew where the tapes were). FWIW, the Waits recordings were not part of the Berg sessions, but were recorded later with Matt Wallace.

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  12. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

So it seems like this and the Abbey Road sets will be released on the same day (Sept 27th) or thereabouts. Get your wallets out.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

That's a fairly prosaic title. Why not call it "Paul Needs $" ?

14. DeeThomaz

Yeah, I’ll be buying both. But I’ll be listening to Dead Man’s Pop first.

Crispy Rob and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  15. DeeThomaz

Your foresight’s been proven. The Amazon UK entry seems to have been yanked.

redeyedandblue likes this.
  16. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

Preordered!!!!

17. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Achin' To Be has been one of my favorite Replacements tracks since the moment I heard it. Top 10 all time, maybe Top 5.

picassoson, arob71, ExHead and 2 others like this.
  18. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

So excited for this. Glad they threw in the vinyl. Just was hoping with the release news we would get to hear one of the songs to compare w/original release...

19. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I agree. Paul doesn't use a car, I doubt he uses the internet.

Bill Diercks likes this.
  20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

To me it makes sense that they have begun with a deluxe reissue of their best album.

rydersdad and twicks like this.
  21. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

Sorry if this has already been posted, but according to this link from Rhino:

Dead Man’s Pop 4CD/1LP Deluxe + Cassette

you get 4 CDs, an LP of the original Don't Tell a Soul mix, a cassette (!) with "highlights," and a big book by Bob Mehr about the Don't Tell a Soul era.

22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Is that the only format, or just the "exclusive edition"? I could do without the LP and cassette.

Howard Bleach and 905 like this.
  23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

With the two big Elvis sets coming out soon, I can’t afford this, but I want it.

24. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Same with me. It's actually the song that made me a fan of theirs.

ExHead likes this.
  25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Achin’ To Be and Sadly Beautiful are both perfect songs, in my opinion.