Thundercat Announces New Album "It Is What It Is" (04/03/2020), Shares New Song "Black Qualls”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Same! Someone will eventually break down and blow the 40 bucks on it.

2. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Which track is that?

3. Sander

Sander Senior Member

The CD is a gold disc; nice touch!

4. Sander

Sander Senior Member

5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on what the clear vinyl is like for surface noise and dynamics?

6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

The Japanese version is now “out there” online with this track.

whisper3978 and pghmusiclover like this.
  7. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes -- I "found" that online... I still keep hoping for a bonus 45 single with that track...

whisper3978 and Porkpie like this.
  8. whisper3978

Haha saw that as well. It's fine. Still think the album meanders way too much, but it's fine to put on in the background.

9. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

My take with Drunk was that it probably could have been improved (like many double albums) by cutting a few tracks. Is that how you're feeling about the new album, or it it that the individual tracks meander?

10. whisper3978

Drunk was great for me once I cut a few of the tracks (starting with "Them Changes" - which was great, but part of that EP from two years earlier; the other tracks I cut were Bus In These Streets, which I didn't like the first time, Tokyo, and Jameel's Space Ride). His lyrics are just too juvenile sometimes and it takes away from the great playing.

The new one meanders in that all the tracks sound too similar to me. This could be because he seems to say the title of the album in the last 8 songs, so when you're just listening to the record, it's like, "Wait, title track? It's over already?" and then "Wait, is THIS the end?" and then, "Oh, is the last song 18 minutes long?"

I really like his sound, but the new album seemed half-baked.

Peace N. Love likes this.
  11. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Much appreciated - although Bus in These Streets was one of my favorites from Drunk - so we may have different takes. :)

whisper3978 likes this.
  12. whisper3978

I knew it from the one-off single and never really got into it. I love the story of the album, but just not the telling of it sometimes, if that makes sense. I'd love to have an instrumental version of the album to restore the tracks I cut because of the lyrics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.