Tidal HiFi now $9.99

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by winged creature, Nov 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SixthSpeed

SixthSpeed Well-Known Member

That's what I have, but best quality if 320mbps. Too bad they don't have CD quality.

2. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

VPN - Argentina - Make a new family account for about 3$

3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Signed up for Hifi tier for $6/month for first responders which is extremely reasonable (significantly cheaper than Spotify that isn't lossless). It's probably been this price for a while but I wouldn't have noticed until I saw this thread and the same "drop in Tidal subscription" threads on a bunch of different hifi forums.

jonwoody and Bill Mac like this.
  4. SixthSpeed

Anyway to record the Tidal music?

5. SixthSpeed

It was offensive, but I won't report you.

audiomaniac likes this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's a great deal! That's nice that Tidal offers a discount to first responders.

Tim 2, hvbias and jonwoody like this.
  7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Legally?

jonwoody likes this.
  8. SonicCzar

SonicCzar Forum Resident

Of course. Use the TAPE OUT on your receiver and run it to your cassette deck. I recommend Maxell tape.

9. SonicCzar

SonicCzar Forum Resident

At that price for chips, power supply, and a circuit board, it had better come with a gold plated aircraft aluminum machined screwdriver, because the buyer surely has more than one loose screw.

Khorn likes this.
  10. SixthSpeed

I have digital tape deck. I wonder if I can run the digital output from the TV into the deck.???

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Not sure why you'd want to record, the music's available 24/7. For use in a car ?

13. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I don’t think that BB has updated for the latest terminology. If you scan to the bottom of the page, “Standard” sound quality = 320 mps.

Bill Mac likes this.
  14. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

It appears to be the HiFi plan however as I posted earlier in this thread:

Qobuz uses non MQA files period. Tidal even on the lower cost tier still uses MQA files if that what the album is available in. If there is more than one version available in Tidal in order to hear the non MQA version you have to make sure you select the non MQA version however sometimes only the MQA version is available so you’re screwed. I don’t recommend Tidal at all unless they stop doing business with MQA. Either way I still find Qobuz to be the better sounding of the two services. I do think other features of Tidal are better than what Qobuz currently offers but Qobuz will now have to react to Tidal’s new move as will Deezer and hopefully Spotify. The main thing being price and the pay per stream announcement as I’m sure most people would prefer to see their money go towards who they are listening to instead of the top of the charts of the month unless they also listen to whoever that may be. Just realize unless a musician owns their masters the money still goes to the label(s) first then gets divided up according to whatever contracts the musicians have with their labels. Still better than a pro rata system I think as I prefer to try and pay who I like to listen to myself but we’ll have to see how things work out with this system. You may want to look at Qobuz, Deezer’s HiFi tier or try Amazon Music or Apple Music instead. I wouldn’t get Tidal just because it’s a cheap deal. You could just go with their free tier or go with Spotify, Pandora, Deezer or YouTube free tiers instead if you want to save money.

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Neil Young has returned to Tidal....titles that are available are non-Master.

SKBubba, Tim 2 and Bill Mac like this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thank you for posting this! My annual Tidal subscription ended today and I was just getting ready to signup with Qobuz. But with this I'm thinking of signing up again with the Best Buy deal at $79.95. The only issue is that Best Buy is showing the lower tier as "Premium" and not "Hi Fi". I wonder if it's that Best Buy didn't update their Tidal offerings or if it's actually lower SQ than the "Hi Fi" plan shown on Tidal's site.
    Thank you for your thoughts! It's not all about cost as at $12.99 a month or $129 for an annual subscription Qobuz is fine. It's just that I'm familiar with Tidal's layout and I have two Oppo players that I can use to play Tidal. So if Best Buy's "Premium" Tidal plan is actually the "Hi Fi" plan I'll signup again.

I just found this on Tidal's site...

• Best Buy FAQ
    • TIDAL has partnered with Best Buy to offer users a new way to pay for monthly TIDAL subscriptions as well as the option to pre-purchase a year of TIDAL service.

HiFi

90-day free trial then $9.99 per month

Annual for $79.99 (12 months for the price of 8)

HiFi Plus

90-day free trial then $14.99 per month

Annual for $119.99 (12 months for the price of 8)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    Deuce66 likes this.
  17. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Only gold plated?

18. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

Best I can tell, what Tidal says and what Best Buy says are two different things. The Best Buy “Premium” ($79) plan appears to be lossy. The Best Buy site seems to claim that for $129 per year you can get the HiFi (cd quality) and the master quality level. But I’d wager that’s a misrepresentation on the Best Buy website. But I’m not sure as it’s not clear.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  19. DancingSea

If the $129 per year price for CD + Master is accurate, then that’s a good deal and in line with Quboz.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

My thoughts are Tidal currently has three tiers listed on their site. They are HiFi Plus, HiFi and Free. So how can Best Buy offer a lossy plan previously know as "Premium" when there isn't a "Premium" plan anymore. Could it be that the Best Buy Tidal "Premium" plan listing is incorrect? Or would Tidal offer the "Premium" plan to only those that subscribe through Best Buy? Also the Tidal higher tier available at Best Buy is "HiFi Music" not HiFi Plus that is on the Tidal site. To me it's very confusing as to why Tidal and Best Buy have different names for the Tidal plans.

https://tidal.com/pricing
    HiFi Music - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tidal-...9-99-per-year-digital/6407163.p?skuId=6407163
    Premium - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tidal-...9-99-per-year-digital/6407158.p?skuId=6407158

Shawn, Billy Infinity and DancingSea like this.
  21. DancingSea

Best Buy claims HiFi + Masters for $129 per year….

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tidal-...9-99-per-year-digital/6407163.p?skuId=6407163

It could be the $79 “Premium” plan is mislabeled as Tidal, I believe, no longer has a 320 kbps plan. Don’t they only have Free (180 kbps?), HiFi (CD), and HiFi Plus (CD + Masters)? My guess is the Best Buy web team didn’t properly update this page to be a yearly “HiFi” subscription in the details section. “Premium” seems to be a typo.

If anyone has purchased one of these new Tidal Best Buy plans, please let us know how the streaming bit rate quality shakes out.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tidal-...9-99-per-year-digital/6407163.p?skuId=6407163

Billy Infinity, Tim 2 and Bill Mac like this.
  22. DancingSea

@Bill Mac yes, we typed the same theory simultaneously! I think it’s a Best Buy webmaster error on the “Premium” moniker…. But I won’t be due to renew until March. Hopefully someone will try these Best Buy deals before then.

The Best Buy pricing, if as we hypothesize, is very competitive with Quboz and everyone else. The $19.99/ month option made such little sense. This Best Buy price makes tons of sense.

I prefer Quboz, but Tidal integrates much better with my gear.

Tim 2 and Bill Mac like this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Has anyone that has the Tidal HiFi Plus plan tried Dolby Atmos? I'm curious if it is "downmixed" on 5.1 systems. Are there many Dolby Atmos titles?

Tim 2 likes this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I totally agree. I was set to try Qobuz but like you Tidal integrates better with my gear as well.

DancingSea and Tim 2 like this.
  25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

:righton: Bigger library too.

SandAndGlass, DancingSea and Bill Mac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.