Tiger King on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bruce Racket, Mar 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone seen this yet? It's hilarious. It's hard to believe it's even a documentary, the main players are so ridiculous and over the top. If you need a good laugh, give this a try.

turnersmemo and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The premise looks wild and I want to try it but one quick question as it takes place in a zoo. Is there any animal abuse in the show? I can watch the nastiest goriest horror movies but if I see an animal neglected or hurt in any way I just cant handle it.

ZoSoUK, Bruce Racket and Shawn like this.
  3. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I have one episode left, these people are, I don’t know, crazy ? What a cast of character

no real animal abuse, they all seem to love the critters in their own totally weird deranged way

turnersmemo, johnod, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  4. noname74

Thanks

Bruce Racket likes this.
  5. Bruce Racket

Plenty of shots of animal parts being feed to the big cats if that's too much for you. The big cats do get some "payback" now and then on the people. Some smacks and bites.
    The main people in the documentary really do seem to love the animals. It's more about the eccentrics of the owners then focused on the lives of the cats.

6. noname74

No problem with them being fed animal parts...it's when humans abuse them that I get upset. I will check it out...thanks!

Bruce Racket and ConnieGuitar like this.
  7. Bruce Racket

I'd say you see more damaging animal attacks on humans then anything.
    Toughest part of the show is a quick news segment on Zanesville OH when that guy let all of his exotic animals loose before he committed suicide. You do see some dead animals then.

8. Is this a mockumentary?

turnersmemo and Bruce Racket like this.
  9. Bruce Racket

It's supposed to be legit but it had a wonderful "This Is Spinal Tap" feel to it.
    EVERYONE in it is a loon. It's gloriously nuts. It might be too much for some people who are easily offended but I enjoyed the heck out of it.

10. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

I binged the whole lot at the weekend, really compelling viewing.

I find the whole exotic animal scene in the US quite disgusting to be honest, if they dd have a genuine love of animals they wouldn't be keeping them in those crappy cages all their lives, it seemed to me to be all about self centered egotism and commercial gain.

The irony of Joe ending up in a cage for 19 years was pretty sweet though. What a whiny tool he really was.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    timind, ZoSoUK, turnersmemo and 12 others like this.
  11. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I could only watch the first episode. It all seemed so silly.

rswitzer and Bruce Racket like this.
  12. Bruce Racket

It starts out pretty silly but it gets very dark as it goes along.

13. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

A bunch of red necks on meth with hundreds of tigers... what could go wrong?

Seriously though this doc was so compelling. More and more layers were uncovered as you went along. At the end I didn’t know what to think about everything. I wouldn’t have believed all this was real but growing up in Bakersfield and having friends from the Dale, many of those characters were all to familiar.

timind, Tanx, ZoSoUK and 5 others like this.
  14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

#1 with a bullet on Netflix.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  15. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

It’s bonkers, you couldn’t make this story up

Bruce Racket likes this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'd say some of the way the cats are caged and exploited borders on animal abuse for sure. One, for instance, had nowhere to move and had to put its head into a smaller cage to even eat. It's an amusing because the people are so wheels off, but the whole animal exploitation thing is a bit off putting.

Bruce Racket and noname74 like this.
  17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

There’s an awesome episode in season 1 of the tv show 911 called “Karma’s A Bitch” that you have to watch if exploitation of tigers makes your blood boil. Ya’ll can probably guess what happens lol.

jpelg and Bruce Racket like this.
  18. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I agree the exotic animal trade and these private zoos are disgusting and inherently abusive.

However from the clips I've see this whole thing looks so gonzo nuts I've got to check it out. And I never watch any of these things.

Bruce Racket and GodShifter like this.
  19. BOZMAN

BOZMAN Forum Resident

The irony is that the people are the real animals.

20. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I was curious about this documentary. I binged it in 2 days. I knew already beforehand a bit about Joe Exotic from seeing him featured briefly a few years ago on John Oliver.

These big cat people are indeed disgusting. Their stories are as crazy as the are.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You need to. If, for nothing else, just to get a pulse for how insane some of these people are.

I think it makes me realize how BIG this country is and how many NUTZOIDS inhabit it. The revelations and the context is shocking. I can't wrap my mind around a lot of it. It's like intensive therapy TV.

That said, it's pretty depressing and discouraging in terms of the over all state of the human race.

HELLO!, COVID 19!

22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

steve vai? is that you?

23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The series glosses over the animal abuse, but the main players are exotic animal traffickers. Joe is in prison, in part, for shooting five otherwise healthy tigers in the head, but the cameras obviously weren't running the night he did that.

SomeCallMeTim and Bruce Racket like this.
  24. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Totally agree, but are public zoos much better?

Bruce Racket likes this.
  25. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of zoos in general, but compared these insane places like the one depicted here I'd have to say yes.

BeatleJWOL and Bruce Racket like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.