Tim Burton's "Big Fish"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

I really liked this movie! It was touching without getting sugary, very funny in places and always interesting. The visuals remind you why film was invented in the first place, but they never overpower the story.

It seems to get either a love or hate response from the critics, so maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea. I think any Burton fan should like this, but it's not as out there as most Burton films.

Dan C

2. Drew

Drew Senior Member

My question is this: are the songs that are in the commercials for this movie actually IN the movie? I saw one commercial that had Yes "All Good People" and another that had Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill". I thought its was an interesting choice of soundtrack. Then I looked at the soundtrack CD on Tower.com and neither song is on the CD.

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

no, there is no Yes music in the film.

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I've been looking forward to seeing this movie.

5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

Right, and the Peter Gabriel song isn't in the film either. However, Loudon Wainwright III IS in the movie, acting and doing so very well. His part is hilarious. :)

Dan C

6. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Saw this this past weekend and loved it. Touching story, no sap, and beautifully filmed. Louden was very funny. One minor thing bothered me, though. I thought Albert Finney looked startlingly (is that a word?) like William Shatner. Kinda distracted me for a couple of moments.:)

Jeff

7. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I was going to see this last weekend, but I ended up seeing The Return of the King (for the second time). Big Fish is on my list of movies to see this weekend.

8. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

My wife and I saw "Big Fish" last weekend and really liked it a lot. I defy anyone to get through the ending without crying.

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I saw this last weekend as well. My wife and I both liked it a lot, and liked it more after a few days. It is a very different movie, one that you can't really compare to another.

I can't wait to get the DVD and watch it a few more times. There are a lot of things I missed. Someone said there was something to all of the water references. (Always thirsty, pouring water on himself, the river, the bathtub, etc)

10. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I missed all the water references, and my wife mentioned it afterwards. Since you don't really figure out what's going on till the end, it definitely lends itself to repeat viewings.

11. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

It's a very moving picture.

Somewhere past the mid-point my interest started to flag, and then as it moved to the finish, the richness of all the allegory and metaphor started to really hit me, and I was a goner.

12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

You got that right.

Quite a movie. I almost didn't go to see it, but I'm definately glad I did.

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

there's real heart in this film, rare these days with most cookie cutter movies.

Don't miss this one in a theater!

14. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I finally got to see it. I loved it. My wife didn't seem to understand it :confused:
    At the end of the movie, all I could do is cry. The move made me realize how much I miss my Father.

15. KLM

KLM Senior Member

My wife and I saw it over the weekend and both enjoyed it very much. I was expecting a more over-the-top type of film from Tim Burton. As a friend of mine at work who loves Tim Burton says, "he has really matured as a film director." I think she is right as this is a very well done film with a lot of heart and is still very visually appealing. Go and see it if you haven't already and as usual, Albert Finney is great.

16. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Me and my wife also enjoyed it..A great story and movie.

17. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I just watched it.

It's most definitely a "father / son" movie. I went with a couple of friends and our wives to watch it. EVERY one of us (guys) had to admit we cried during the ending. But our wives merely said it was a very well made film.

It's incredibly moving and powerful... it's definitely one of my all time favourites. I think it'll stay with me for quite a long time.

18. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I usually love Tim Burton movies, but "BIG FISH" left me scratching my head! I feel that "Edward Scissorhands" and "Nightmare Before Christmas" are two of the top 20 movies I've ever seen, so I usually "understand" Tim's dark and eerie way of storytelling!

Did I cry at the end of "BIG FISH" like all of you other guys, yes I did, but I think it was because of Danny Elfman's music and the emotion of seeing all of the film's charactor's again. as opposed to the "father/son" storyline.

A fairly religious friend of mine and I talked a day after I saw this (which he AND his wife both LOVED!) and he said that there were many religious and deep thought provoking things that I missed about the father/son relationship. I guess that it all depends on how each of us were raise and our own father/son relationships? My dad has never been a play ball with me out in the backyard, type of guy. He worked very hard when I was young to be sure that "his" family didn't have to struggle as much as his mother and father did. He is now 80 and although we tend to disagree sometimes, I still love him for EVERYTHING he and my mother has provided us. I haven't seen the MOVIE about my father yet, but Raymond's mom on t.v.'s "Everybody Loves Raymond" is pretty close to my mom, only my mom is completely WITHOUT the "mean" side that's in her charactor.

I guess that I'll have to give "BIG FISH" another try in a few years. I pray that I won't have to lose my father to enjoy, or perhaps "appreciate" this movie!?!

One final note: As a fan of Loudon Wainwright III, he really did a GREAT job in this movie, as did ALL of the other actor's.

Chris C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.