Time for new speakers.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by luckyno13, Jun 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John

John Senior Member

Wow, interesting speaker.

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Don't know the availability of Goldenear speakers in the UK, but if you can find a pair, I'd recommend looking at the Goldenear Aon2. They have a nice smooth sound and because they aren't rear ported, can be placed near the wall.

3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Buchardt?

Products — Buchardt Audio

4. Música

Música New Member

That's a big price range for your candidates. I waited a good while for last-year's price drops to replace my Mission 700s with my now-favorites for jazz, in particular -but well beyond: the lovely Martin Logan LX16s, which in the US, are down to under $500US a pair at Amazon.com. The nearly?-identical successors are another ~$80 each. However, I am not at all familiar with your amp, etc. Enjoy the shopping.

l

luckyno13 likes this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Stereophile Class C-ish.

Subagent likes this.
  6. Helom

Helom Forum member

ls35a and TakiJones like this.
  7. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

8. John

John Senior Member

Here is a review that compares to the Kef you mention. It may be a option for you, but being in the U.K. might be an issue.
    Tekton Design Impact Monitor Bookshelf Speaker Reviewed

Best of Luck in your search.

9. allthumbs

allthumbs Well-Known Member

For those interested this is just an update to my enquiry about Mistral Audio and the Bow-iii standmount speakers and Mistral in general.

I had a very pleasant reply from the Sales Director of Direct Audio Solutions in the UK David Telford.

https://www.directaudiosolutions.co.uk/

"They are a US / UK design but made in China. Mistral was initially sparked from an interest in valve amplifiers from a company in the US and Audio Design Services in the UK who shared the use of a Chinese Factory making audio equipment.

It so happened that the factory owner was also into valve amps so they came up with some basic ideas with the factory suddenly coming up with a productionised product.

Once they had an amp, they decided to try a few loudspeakers and the Bow III you have is the result, they sound amazing for the price point (GBP 375).

The Bow III is still in production, the other UK / US collaborations are the DT307S loudspeaker and the REG 565.

Most of the others are simply Chinese design but if you look up the Mistral SAG 350, you will recognise the design is influenced by a bigger brand, possibly too much of an influence!"

Donivey likes this.
  10. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thought I'd update my own thread as my search for new speakers is now over.
    I now have a beautiful pair of Neat Motive SX3 in American Walnut from ebay and am very happy with them.
    Motive SX3 | Neat
    They manage the very difficult task of being both detailed and forgiving which I put down to their interesting tweeter.
    They're not the most sensitive but that suits my powerful amp.
    Love the depth and imaging on them and they seem to particularly shine on jazz with great articulation on that tricky instrument, the double bass.

I definitely seem to be a stand-mount guy but I auditioned a bunch of each:
    Focal Aria 906, Revel Concerta2 M16, Fyne 500, Fyne 501, various Monitor Audios, Dali Opticon 2. Dali Opticon 6, PSB Alpha 5, PSB T20, Kef LS50, Kef R3, Elac UB5, Elac UF5.

11. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

Check out Tannoy XT6Fs - they are small floorstanders, have downward firing bass ports. They are apparently very good at low and loud listening volumes. Not heard them myself, but they were £1000 when they first appeared, now easily available online for £500. They were highly praised by many at their full price.

Edit: just read your last post! Glad you found what you wanted..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.