Time to replace my Pioneer PL300

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Koen V., May 24, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Koen V.

Koen V. New Member Thread Starter

Hi guys,

As the title suggests, I'm looking to replace my Pioneer PL300!

The main reason is: the thing is made entirely of plastic. When I touch the bottom or the side of the plastic body, it is already audible. And not even a little bit, the slightest and gentlest of touches will seriously sound like deep rumbling coming through my speakers. Vibrations because of loud music should also be audible and I think this is the reason I tend to have a muddy sound.

I'm looking at both new and vintage models, as I don't know what the best option would be..
    Models that crossed my mind:
    - Rega Planar 2
    - Pro-Ject debut carbon EVO
    - Pro-ject debut PRO
    - NAD C558

These are all new models, since I have little knowledge of what older models are good. Also, I fear some new models might be overpriced due to marketing gimmicks. I'm really interested to know if a carbon fibre tonearm seriously results in a better sound.

What would you guys do? And why?

Thanks a lot for any help!!

2. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Pioneer PLX-1000. These are definitely worth the price. Very rock solid and isolate vibrations well.

Oelewapper likes this.
  3. Koen V.

I would like to add three things that might be important to know:
    - I already own a AT VM540ML. So the cart on the TT is less important
    - The look of the player does matter to me. I would preferably go for a wallnut finish TT, although black would be fine if the TT looks kinda clean (Like the rega models)
    - I have no use for USB, pre-amp, ... functionalities. I just want great sound for my records! :)

BrentB, I kinda crossed the Pioneer off my list because of how it looks. The DJ-looking turntables are not for me. (Also my wife doesn't like looking at them, and I want to place the TT in our living room :D)

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

The NAD is only a Pro-Ject in disguise, so unless you're an NAD fan, there's not much of a reason to pick that one.

Rega? Hm. I've never been able to work up much enthusiasm for Regas, but they do have their fans.

Being where you are, have you considered any of the current offerings from Thorens or Dual? Those brands have little connection to the original companies, but may be worth thinking of. They are all way overpriced in the USA, but may be more reasonable in the EU.

If not, there's certainly nothing horribly wrong with the Pro-Jects. Especially given that you already have a very nice cartridge!

Oelewapper likes this.
  5. Koen V.

What models of Thorens or Dual would you consider?
    Would you say they are better brands than Pro-ject?

6. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Still love my PL-518.

7. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I would not consider any new or newish TT that is or was an entry model, you may as well put your money straight in the bin. Do you have a precise maximum budget in mind?

A second hand Thorens would probably be the first place I look into but there are endless choices. Do you need any particular feature, look?

jonwoody, timind and The Pinhead like this.
  8. harby

harby Forum Resident

Fix the suspension.

[​IMG]

Then fill the insides with asphalt/bitumen and butyl clay.

timind, GT40sc and The Pinhead like this.
  9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I have the 3000; basically the same TT, only an older model. Base is cast iron, the plinth is resin, and platter and tonearm assembly are suspended. Weighs about the same as yours. A wall-mounted shelf will cure your problems and will be way cheaper.

rcsrich and timind like this.
  10. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I would also recommend the Pioneer PLX-1000, but since your priority is looks and you’re open to vintage, like wood finish, you should consider one of the following:
    Denon DP-40F
    Denon DP-60L
    JVC QL-Y5F
    Micro Seiki DD40

Or any other variant of these.

Edit:
    The VM540ML is a great MM cartridge and will match well with most tonearms.
    As for the NAD you mentioned, I believe that’s just a turntable of mixed and matched Pro-ject parts.
    NAD doesn’t make turntables themselves.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    nosliw likes this.
  11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

I'm not too familiar with their current offerings, some of their recent stuff didn't seem too exciting - but I've heard they've improved. Do you automatic functions have appeal to you? AFAIK, all of the Pro-jects are strictly manual.

As far as carbon fibre, nice to have, but I wouldn't consider it a deciding factor - especially if it cost more.

Oelewapper's mention of the DD40 was interesting - I've owned one of those in the past, and it's very nice. Nice vintage look, but you'll pay a premium for the Micro name (at least around these parts).

12. Oelewapper

It’s more or less my default recommendation when it comes to vintage gear, if someone is looking for a good midrange turntable.
    They’re about 1k here depending on the condition, but you really get what you pay for, and more.
    Could be an endgame turntable for many of us.
    Very reliable, long lasting.

I did notice that the vintage market’s prices are booming the last few years, so things might have changed.

13. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

+1 to this

14. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

If you want minimalist looks, how about the Technics SL-1500c?

lsipes1965 and The Pinhead like this.
  15. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

off-topic, but I would like to thank @harby for the photo in post #8...
    I have a couple of JVC QLF-300s from the mid-'80s that look just like this inside.

One is running with a suspension made of superballs and vibrapods,:D
    and I have now restored the other with a set of plumbing washers...:eek:
    thanks again,

timind likes this.
  16. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

Of your list all are reputable, but I'd buy the Rega because it has great resale value on down the road if you upgrade.

17. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'd stay away from vintage DD TTs. When a controller chip goes bad inside of a vintage direct drive TT, good luck finding any replacement parts...

jeffrey75 likes this.
  18. harby

harby Forum Resident

Fortunately, they don't go bad. Three million SL-1200mk2 sold; how many of those with problems do you ever hear about? Or you'd go to this auction listing with four chips available: Technics Turntable SL-1200MK2 AN6675 RJB3313A Drive IC GENUINE Part RFKFAN6675 | eBay

19. Oelewapper

When there’s a will, there’s a way.
    But cheaper and simpler designs tend to be easier to service indeed.

20. Koen V.

The vintage models look quite good. I can't find too many offerings close to me though. And the ones that I do find are pretty expensive. If it's worth the extra effort, I would be willing to search the web and wait for a good vintage model.

Can someone explain why you would stay clear of new TT's? Buying a new one would be a lot easier, but if I have to give up too mich sound quality I wont do it.

Also, the rest of my rig is:
    Preamp: Marantz 3200
    Amp: Marantz 140
    Speakers: Canton 7.2 Reference

I don't know how expensive I could go compared to my rig? If I buy a €500 or €1000 model, I might not hear a difference because my sound system doesn't allow me to.

It always drives me crazy when looking to buy something like this. Too many variables and different opinions :D Thanks everyone so far for sharing your thoughts!

21. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Honestly if you can’t get a vintage deck locally I’d skip it. We can spend all day throwing out model names of random beautiful turntables from the past 50 years but that’s not going to do you any good. You want to buy a vintage deck locally because the online market is full of shady people and even honest sellers hardly know how to ship one. You’re going to want to make sure you have a shop that can support anything that goes wrong unless you’re handy with electronics. If you can find a good used hi-fi shop around you though that’s still a great option to consider, they may even be able to tune up your current deck, or take it as a trade in.

Nothing wrong with buying new, you often get less specs for the dollar, but in exchange you’ll get a proper shipping box and a warranty. Essential if online is your only option. I personally have a Technics turntable in my living room but my GF and I favor a modern / bauhaus / industrial style so it doesn’t bother us at all. Since aesthetics are a personal thing and often divorced with performance I’d hesitate to recommend anything directly.

timind likes this.
  22. Rafijagger

Rafijagger Active Member

Selling RP6 if you interested £550 posted ?

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I would avoid the Denons with servo arms, likewise the JVC/Victor models and Sony with those arms. Very complex, and basically unrepairable if they have issues. Denon is excellent if you buy better like the DP-75 and DP-80 and have a conventional tonearm when working right. There's a JVC gem or two which look similar to the Denons with a manual arm.

Oelewapper likes this.
  24. Koen V.

Anyone experienced with the Project debut carbon PRO or the Project x1?

I recently got €250 store credit that I can use for these two models. The PRO would cost me €500 and the X1 would cost me €650 after using the credit.

I will be visiting a local dealer for a vintage model on saturday. Although from their website it seems all models are over €1000, which would be a little too steep.. hopefully they have something a little lower in price. Although with the €250 store credit, I'm more inclined to buy new.

25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Technics.

Uglyversal likes this.