Time Traveler liquidation sale starts Jan 2, 2010 (Cuyahoga Falls OH)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by MikeP5877, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I have not been there, but I'm also looking to hear what the status is... no one checked him out for Record Store Day, I take it?

Hell, I'm curious if he's even still open...

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

me too!

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm sure he's still there in some form or fashion. The better question is, "What will Scott do with all of that inventory once he truly decides to call it a day"? I thought about going on "record store day", but decided, why bother, as he'll just have the same picked over inventory and no real deals. As I've said before, let me know when he finally gets to his own "private collection" on the back left wall of the store, that's the stuff that's worthy of buying.

Chris C

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

he is at 25% off, everything in the store except new releases and the stuff in the glass cases.

not much left really, it is almost ridiculous how many boots are in that store, i never really noticed them until the other stock went so low.

some of the artists have ONLY boots in their slots.

if he doesn't go to 40% - 50% soon no one will be going in there for anything, and he will be eating a heck of of a lot of product.

5. Chris C

He will just call up the Akron Beacon and have them do another (probably the 5th in the past year or two), sympathy story and the buyers will flock once again.

As for the "BOOTS" comment above, here is a TRUE story...,
    About six months ago I went in there and asked him if he had the song "Slaughter On Tenth Avenue" by Mick Ronson and he said I have personal copy. Since I was looking high and low for just that one song (not the entire album) and I couldn't buy it anywhere for less than $100 bucks, I ask Scott if he would burn me a copy of that one song. The bastard actually had the balls to say to me, that "I'm never making another bootleg for anybody" and I just laughed and turned and looked at the store and said, "just what the hell is this all about"? Seriously, he lost me that day and I have no real reason to ever go back.

Chris C

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

a conservative estimate: 33% of the store is bootlegs.

7. Chris C

Not counting vinyl, I'd be willing to say that 33% was the old days inventory, when he was still getting lots of new releases, but these days, it's probably more like 75% boots, especially in the DVD section.

Chris C

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i never look at the DVD's.

it is sad how such a once great store deteriorated so quickly.

a few observations as to why:

>i know, for a fact (because i saw a couple that were mine) he was putting out used CD's in the new section with new CD prices. he would put them in plastic covers. that really pissed me off because he gave me used trade value when i traded them in.

>the used CD's that he got in and couldn't put out as new he would sell on ebay, thus depleting his used inventory and keeping good product out of it.

>he rarely cleaned the store. he has recently been trying to alphabetize the (mostly worthless) vinyl that is overpriced and was strewn all over the place in random boxes.

>he gets in no new catalog CD's preferring to attempt to sell those boots that obviously no one wants.

i doubt i will go back there until prices go to 40 - 50% off, and i doubt that will ever happen. doomed to die in a whimper :(

9. Chris C

As much as I used to love shopping there back in the good old days, I fear that Scott has nobody, but himself, to blame for his demise. Oh, trust me, I know that he's already blaming EVERYBODY and EVERYTHING, except himself, for this fate of his, but deep down inside, he knows that what he COULD be doing to save the store, versus what he IS doing, is the main problem, as noted very well in post #33 above. I'm a collector and if guys like me feel this way about a local store, then you might as well shut off the lights and lock the doors, because Best Buy and Target have got what the others most likely need or want. Sometimes you've just got to know when to say WHEN and it's apparent that Scott doesn't know when that time is?

Chris C

10. hutlock

Well, I'm not a regular customer by any stretch, but you can bet I'm not going to bother with the drive out there given the info above...

11. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I hate to bump such an old thread (found link in RSD thread), but this guy really deserves to go under already.
    I won't even go in the store when the owner's there. His assistants/helpers are pretty cool & recently they are working a few evening hours for NO pay. They take their wages in merchandise.

The saddest part is that it could be a really great store if someone else would take over & run it properly.

The worst aspects of the store:

80-90% crap vinyl with asking prices of VG+/NM prices.
    Too much stuff with no prices at all - he's glad to 'look it up' & ask some absurd price if he thinks you might pay it.
    His best stuff is behind the counter & not for sale. He cherry picked his own store to avoid selling things during a storewide sale.
    The most interesting part is he has a huge collection of promo posters ect., but you have no idea what he's got or what he wants for it. You have to sneak around & quietly unroll some to find out what they are.

The only reason I stop in at all is that he's practically around the corner from me. Sometimes I actually find some interesting stuff, but it's quite rare.
    It's the kind of store that I'd buy if I hit the lottery & could run it properly & turn it into a haven for collectors like me.

12. hutlock

It definitely used to be much better...

13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

I'd work a few hours there for free if I could take home some merchandise. I was thinking of heading over there this afternoon to see what (if any) RSD items are left.

14. hutlock

Please post if you find anything!

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

please post what you find. my friend and i are thinking about going that way on friday, unless we go to mentor instead.

16. MikeP5877

I just read a post in another thread that Time Traveler was selling RSD items on ebay before 4/16. Guess I won't be going there.

From the RSD facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/RecordStoreDay/posts/10150541475755276

17. MikeP5877

You should go to Mentor instead.

18. MikeP5877

Glad I decided not to go today after all. They have a ton of RSD items up on ebay now. :shake:

The only RSD item that I really wanted, I'm getting it from a fellow forum member, so I'm set anyway.

But still....what a crock.

19. hutlock

So now he's not even selling them in the store?

Geez.

20. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

x2

Record Den is great.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i believe he has been selling anything good he has on ebay for a long time, especially anything used he brings in and can't pass off as new, or anything used he brings in and he knows is worth money.

we probably will end in mentor, thanks for the info.

22. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I just found this thread. At last, people who see what's going on at TT. Scott gets the Akron Beacon Journal to write at least 2 going out of business stories to get sympathy, but he doesn't go out of business. Hey, he closed a store in Hudson, another one in Kent, the vinyl store in Cuyahoga Falls, and I think he used to have a store in Fairlawn. He's good at closing stores, just not good at running one.

I would love to have a good honest local music store I can support, but this isn't the one and neither is Spin More in Kent.

A good percentage of the Time Traveler is bootlegs and not even silver factory pressed bootlegs. Cheap cdr copies that anybody can make at home themselves, but he sells them for $20 or $30. I wish the RIAA would come in a bust this store.

23. MikeP5877

What do you think of Vinyl Underground, right there in Kent?

24. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I haven't been there myself yet so I don't know.

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

went to time traveler last week, sad sad sad :(

as soon as i walked in the door he tried to push me into buying a neil young bootleg that was "great".

the store was a bigger mess than ever, and i swear every section i looked in was 75% or more boots.

a lot more vinyl and a lot less CD's also. we were there for about 30 minutes (we used to spend a couple of hours) and no one else came in. neither one of us bought a thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.