Time Traveler liquidation sale starts Jan 2, 2010 (Cuyahoga Falls OH)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by MikeP5877, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Just read this thread from the beginning. You guys have provided an entertaining story over the course of almost two years. I feel like I need to visit the store just to see how bad it is (in my experience its rare that I find even one bootleg in the used bins, let alone 75% of a store's remaining stock!).

I feel sorry for the guy and his family, as he holds onto "the good stuff" while his business dies. As a collector myself, I can understand up to a point and hope I'm never in the position to have to sell my prize possessions to keep my head above water. That would be a catch 22 for my wife, as she'd love to see it all go!

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

Thing is, I'm fairly confident some of the boots are of recent vintage, acquired "post-liquidation sale".

3. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Back when I was still going there--and after the real boot pressings stopped showing up in the racks or display cases--the vast majority of the ones I saw looked like he or his co-workers made them themselves. They were the cheapest, worst looking copies I've ever seen anyone trying to pass off--and still at full real price levels too. Sad and pathetic. :shake:

You mean he is actually trying to sell things that aren't obviously home-made now?

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i haven't been there in quite a while, but most of the boots (and there were a ton) that i saw last time were of the cheapo homemade variety, with copy machine artwork priced at over $15.

5. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

That's what I expected. Last I went those cheapo copy machine jobs were priced at the $25 - $30 range like they were the real things. :rolleyes:

6. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

While it's tempting to go around the corner & drop in, I can't bring myself to bother. I'm sure I'd have to listen to his whining to people in-store or on the phone about how he's hurting bla bla bla. I'll go in when I see a sign in the window promoting a real sale.

It reminds me of a recent stop over at Spin-More. I was relaying to Phil (the owner) about TT's B.S. & he summed it up perfectly: "I have problems like everyone else, but someone who stops in my store to spend money they don't have to, they simply don't want to hear about it. I'm selling items that are discretionary & if the store isn't pleasant to be in, they'll go elsewhere."

He even "fired" me last time I was there. While B.S. with him, someone popped in asking if they were hiring; he replied: "No & I'm about to fire this guy." :laugh:

That's why I enjoy Spin-More after 20+ years even if it means a special trip there.

7. MikeP5877

Last time I was at Spin-More I sat on the floor with that little record player for a couple hours and came away with some great 45's for a good price. Some of their stuff is way overpriced but I've gotten some good deals there. It's certainly my favorite store to browse, that's for sure. I'm due for another visit.

8. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I thought his store closed a while back. Is it still open? I remember the last few times I went in I didn't see a change in stock so I stopped going. Then I read he was closing down and never gave it another thought.

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

we went on a CD shopping trip last friday and i told my friend i didn't even want to go to time traveler, but he insisted.

i traded in some junk and he actually made me a decent offer in trade, i opted for cash, as there was not one single item in his store that i wanted.

my friend also bought nothing.

there were boxes and boxes of stuff (vinyl and CD's} strewn everywhere, there was no order to the store at all. none of the vinyl is alphabetized and the there were hundreds of CD's on the top of the glass cases in no particular order. the place was, for lack of a better word, a f**kin mess.

and all of the CD's form "behind the counter were gone, and they were definitely not in the bins. about 33% of the bins were full of boots, bad looking boots too, cheapo's.

i will say that scott was extremely nice, almost "phony nice". guess hei trying, but i believe it is now a case of too little too late. :(

i doubt i will ever go back.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

over half the store was junk,

and nothing was on sale....nothing!

11. MikeP5877

Next month will mark the two-year anniversary of the "Liquidation Sale" :cheers:

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:laugh::edthumbs:

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

any news?

any updates?

is he still open?

the last 2 times we went to cuyahoga falls we didn't even bother to drive over there.

14. MikeP5877

Their Facebook page was last updated on March 11 so yes, still open I presume.

I live about 15 minutes away but have not been in there since last July.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

how on earth is he staying open?

he can't possibly be getting new product.

16. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

His lovely wife, Tracey Thomas Shepard (who just finished up her new album) turned down an invitation because she said she needed to be at the store. That tells me he's definitely open and still trying to make a go of it. And check out her Facebook page while you're at it, there's info about the new album. That's one item of new product I'm sure he'll have in stock.

17. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I drive by regularly, wouldn't go in if you paid me.

18. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

Given that it's RSD, I stopped in for a quick look. His stock seems about the same & he did have a decent selection of RSD items (although priced a bit high).
    Since there is a record show tomorrow, I bought nothing for myself & only the Metallica silver vinyl EP for my brothers collection.
    I did my part to support the only local store, but I admit my heart's just not in it to support HIS store. It will likely be another 6 months before I stop in again.

19. MikeP5877

Anyone been to TT lately? What's it like?

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

haven't visited in a long time, is he really still open?

and if he is, how?

21. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

As I was driving to Blossom last night, I remarked to my wife about how it's been a long time since I'd been down to TT. I don't think I've been in there in at least two years, probably longer.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

so he is still open?

23. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

We came from the north, so we didn't stop or drive by.

24. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

Yes, he's still open. The place seems a bit more organized & he is willing to sell some of his promo stuff (posters/flats ect.) for a little more reasonable prices. I haven't had time to really sort thru them though.

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

has he been getting any new product, other than new releases?

he seems to have let his once outstanding catalog go to hell and was only interested in selling new release CD's and old crappy vinyl.

he really hurt himself, in the long run, not the short run, by selling on ebay. all of his good stuff was gone and he never replenished anything. plus i know for a fact he was selling some CD's as new that were used, i saw a couple of discs i personally traded in being sold as new with plastic covers over them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.