Time Traveler liquidation sale starts Jan 2, 2010 (Cuyahoga Falls OH)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by MikeP5877, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I drove by this morning and the store is completely empty now! Jesus, Scott had a HUGE store, that looks slightly eerie, now that it's empty.

Today was the first time that I've been in that neck of the woods in a long time and I can't believe how built up that new area has become so quickly? Seriously, it makes no sense that Scott made it this long at that location, only to be booted just in time for people to actually start coming back to this area!

2. NikoMimi

NikoMimi New Member

Store reopening in Akron near downtown mid feb.

3. Chris C

Cool, now that downtown Akron is basically the kids of "The University Of Akron", which means, "parents hide your valuable albums and CD's, as they may be soon sold for pennies on the dollar!"

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

oh rest assured that scott will pay 'pennies on the dollar' but sell for much much more than that.

i know for absolutely positively sure that he was selling used CD;s as new in the old store. how you ask?

because i sold him a couple of mint CD's that i put a tiny little mark on and found them in the bins selling for new. that was the last time i went in there.

i once heard him yell at a guy for leaving his store and not buying anything.

5. NikoMimi

NikoMimi New Member

Time Traveler an Institution. Tracy Thomas a Legend, her name in lights on the Akron Civic Marque today. Just amazing!

6. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

It was a shock to drive by yesterday & see the store dark & empty. I had no idea this was happening & kinda regret not stopping in over the holidays just to see what the status was. I feel sad that the local music store is gone, but the guy really brought it upon himself & I will not miss him in the slightest. I do wish he would have sold the place & let someone else make a better store out of it.

7. NikoMimi

NikoMimi New Member

The store will be back in Akron, in a few weeks. I am sure formal announcements coming soon! Have enjoyed the valid commentaries ;-)

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

scott!

when did you join the hoffman site?

applebonkerz likes this.
  9. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Scott, are you still gonna sell home-made cdr bootlegs in your new store? Curious minds and the RIAA want to know.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    applebonkerz likes this.
  10. NikoMimi

NikoMimi New Member

Last Winter I stopped in the store, because I was in the area. I used to be a long time customer. Thought I would check it out. I looked around for awhile but could not find anything new or unique in the racks, so I did not buy anything. The prices seemed high, too. Back in the day, this was the go to place for "new" music.

Overall, it was awkward, due to the group hanging out by the counter. I felt like I was interrupting something.

11. NikoMimi

NikoMimi New Member

No no no this is not. Just a former customer with the same annoying experiences. Heard about the reopening through the grapevine.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

I'll be checking the ABJ for a press release :cheers:

13. NikoMimi

NikoMimi New Member

Really like the responses to the customers questions on the Time Traveler Facebook page...about inventory or the move. Remember them? the customers?

"No reply at all, is anybody listening, oh oh, no reply at all "

The same broken record will skip along again, and again, and again.

Why give that place your hard earned money?

14. bw

bw Forum Resident

Checkered Records was an awesome store. George loved to just sit there an talk about music. The store was almost an hour away but well worth the drive. Every time I play Elvis Costello's Armed Forces or the Jam's GH I think of that place. Everything a record store should be!

maushauss and Chris C like this.
  15. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

Here is the press release from today's Akron Beacon Journal :D

http://www.ohio.com/entertainment/m...t-blu-jazz-and-2cellos-at-e-j-thomas-1.567898

Time Traveler returns

I’ve had more than a few folks ask me what’s up with Time Traveler Records and its owner Scott Shepard’s apparent quest to live and die amongst music.

Well, Shepard got himself a new temporary spot that is right next to his eventual larger new permanent spot. The new temporary Time Traveler Records is at 118 W. Market St. in Akron, across from Dave Towell Cadillac and will officially open Friday morning.

Shepard says he’s still got a ton of inventory to move and thus will continue the 40 percent off sale on the bulk of his merchandise. Shepard said the permanent spot, which is in the same building, won’t be ready for a few months so he’s set up in the temporary spot because “I just want to be open again because I really miss the whole scene.”

As for business lessons learned from Shepard’s multiyear on-the-brink-of-closing odyssey?

“I guess the biggest lesson I learned is not to try to get a huge inventory and hope it sells,” he said. “I am going to concentrate more on special orders.

“I am stocking the new place with the best of everything I have. I hope it works out, I am a little nervous about the location, but I think it will be OK.”

16. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Akron Beacon Journal provides more free advertising for the worst businessman in Ohio - no surprise there.
    Cheap rent slum location is not the answer to Scott's business problems. That's a very rough neighborhood.
    Seriously he would be better off renting a space at the Hartville Indoor Flea Market, at least he would be safe.

Locutus67 likes this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i bet he is stocking the place with the "best of everything i have".........what a joke.

the "best of everything he has" is either behind the counter for him to listen to, or being sold on ebay.

Locutus67 likes this.
  18. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

If he was headed toward that area, he would have been better off leasing space in The Bombshelter (retro-stuff) or partnering with the guy next door who leases space for his vintage audio equipment (decent, but way overpriced).
    In any case, I won't miss him. I wish the store was still here (as it could have been), but not him.

19. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

On a related note the Vinyl Underground record store at 257 N.Water St. in Kent, OH closed last fall also. I never even made it in there to see it, but I had heard some good things about the store.

20. Chris C

The few times that I made it into "Vinyl Underground", I came out with nothing in my hands. They had a LOT of albums and the pricing was much better than what Phil & Dottie were robbing us with at Spin-More, down the street. I went to Spin-More for the 45's, but the last few years it was always the same old records, plus Phil was really tough on ever dealing, when he should have! Phil should start a store with Scott, as they would be great partners in crime (and I should add that I mean "crime" as in, it's a crime that either ever had a store in the first place!)

milankey likes this.
  21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

fat phil was a complete as**le, way more than sott.

you could bring him a near mint copy of an album form the 60's, one that he had on display for $50+, and he would offer you $2 for it. and phil thought boots were like gold, way overcharging for them.

scott would buy mint CD's re-shrink them, or put them in plastic sleeves and sell them as new.

milankey and Chris C like this.
  22. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

It's funny, I read so many threads about people in other areas with great local record stores and their loyalty towards them.
    And in our area we had Phil at Spin More and Scott at Time Traveler, I did not care for the ways either one of them did business either.

MikeP5877 likes this.
  23. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

True, but also before that, and partially somewhat during, we had Rebel at Kent Community Store, and Chuck at Heartbeat in Kent. Both were great stores that had a loyal following. Chuck was a very nice guy even if he was friends with Scott, and both spent hours talking on the phone with each other when it was slow in their stores. I originally found out about Time Traveller through Chuck, and maybe because I was friends with him Scott gave me some good deals on things--until Chuck closed up his shop. Chuck took an interest when you talked to him about music. One time I casually mentioned that I wrote and recorded demo tapes myself and he encouraged me to bring some down to the store so he could hear them. He played them over the store's sound system and gave me his opinions of what he liked and what he thought could use some more work. He actually lent me some of his personal out-of-print vinyl to take home and listen to just because he thought I would really enjoy the artist based on what some of my recordings sounded like. He was able to track down just about every odd special order I threw at him. Everything I could ask of a little local shop, and more. :thumbsup:

Phil and Dottie weren't that bad for the first few years. Sure maybe initially Phil would try to overprice some stuff, but I found if you didn't cave to it, and kept coming back he'd start to do more reasonable deals. I got to a point for awhile where he'd just let me go in the back and look through stuff that wasn't even out to see if I wanted any of it. When I did, sometimes his initial offer was reasonable, when it wasn't and I told him so usually he would lower his offer to something I could agree with. I never tried to sell him used stuff but it wouldn't surprise me at all that he would low-ball those offers. I think the biggest problem with them is they got too big taking over too much store space and then seemed to stop doing special deals. His kid (or kids) started taking over more too and about then is when I stopped shopping there.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    milankey likes this.
  24. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I remember Rebel from Kent Community Store. I'll bet over 50% of the vinyl I currently own was from there. My friends first took me there while still in high school probably around 1971 and I followed that store to 4 different locations in downtown Kent. Rebel sure hated cd's when they were introduced. I'm not familiar with Heartbeat Records.

The other store I liked was Digital Daze, originally in Ellet and then at Chapel Hill. I'm currently drawing a blank on the owner's name but I think Buddy was the little guy at the counter but I liked them a lot and they had a nice store that I still miss. Scott at Time Traveler wasn't so bad in the early years either but I think he got greedy.

One time I took a box of stuff into Spin More and Phil's kids made me an absolute ridiculously low offer and I said I think I'll just donate it. The kid said "Thanks!". I said I didn't mean I would donate it to you, I meant to a library or Goodwill.

applebonkerz likes this.
  25. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Same here for following the stores around. Spin-More actually started in a small brick building on the west side of Route 43 where the Crain Avenue bridge dumped out. Heartbeat was in that house-looking building for several years next to Brady's Cafe (now Starbucks), then moved to the old Campus Supply space in the building attached to Brady's/Starbucks. Chuck was one of the original guys that ran Kent Community Store before he broke off to start his own store.

I also loved Digital Daze and went to both locations quite often. The owner was Ron -- a really nice guy as well. I seem to remember that Buddy wanted to buy out the place when Ron lost interest in it, but that was after the time period that I had moved far enough away from that area I didn't get to stop much anymore (plus the ahhemm "import" business had slowed to a stop around then too.) :angel: :shh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.