Time Travelling on the Planet of the Apes - my definitive timelines of the original POTA series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeline Man, Aug 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Ha! Sorry for the confusion.
    She doesn't believe the name thing.
    Or maybe it is all three...

2. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I have many production photos of Apes and two Orangutans are a little ugly and one is an unkempt makeup ape.
    The blue Ray shows it fairly easily and the Apes films are on HBO max right now so check it out if your app is good. My HBO max on my smart tv is problematic.
    The 14 year old blu rays are better than the redone greenish plugged up versions on cable. The extended versions of Conquest and Battle are the blue ray versions.

4k remastered seem unlikely but who knows. They were done a few years ago and Disney is supposed to release Fox films on 4k only if they were already remastered.
    They need real love and attention with original elements. The music was recently done in a La la land release which is fantastic. The guys who did them should be involved but Nick Redman had passed away recently and he spearheaded the Apes audio remastering and so many other Fox films and Nick and his gang did wonders.
    John M.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Grand_Ennui likes this.
  3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I remember PMT from the Yahoo! groups I used to be on...

While I have nothing against him personally, I found a lot of his theories to be quite overblown and he often took dialog that in the film(s) clearly means one thing and he would twist them into something else altogether.

4. Grand_Ennui

I know it has its detractors, but I love the TV series, and feel it wasn't given a fair shake by the 'network suits'... Even Roddy McDowall alluded to this on the two hour interview disc included with the deluxe edition of BEHIND/POTA.

Timeline Man likes this.
  5. Grand_Ennui

Yes, Eris did indeed have his original name while he was co-starring on "Rat Patrol"...

If you get the H&I Network, they show "Rat Patrol" on weekends, so you could tune in and show her the credits... That, or just Wikipedia Eric Braeden and it should tell about his name change...

6. Grand_Ennui

I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but now where exactly does the made-up Orangutan fit in with your theory that those in the cage are (as you refer to them) 'Intermediary' Orangutans'?

Timeline Man likes this.
  7. Timeline Man

Timeline Man Time Traveler from Naples Thread Starter

They already did the 4K versions, before Disney would acquire FOX. No release yet.

apesfan likes this.
  8. Timeline Man

Well, they are on there. They are on the background. As simple as that, humans captured all types of Humanoid Apes from Africa and brought them to America.

9. Grand_Ennui

But, are those caged Orangutans truly 'humanoid apes'? They look as though they're supposed to be standard, 'primitive' Orangutans... I myself would call Caesar from those new films as being more of an 'intermediate' example of a 'primitive' ape to a 'humanoid' ape over those caged CONQUEST Orangs...

And you should know better-There are no Orangutans in Africa, just as though there are no Chimpanzees in Borneo... ;) :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Timeline Man likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed. you keep having fun with this... I am enjoining the posts...and having a blast thanks!

Timeline Man, Phil147 and apesfan like this.
  11. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Indeed, I'm enjoying them too!! It's like Star Trek and how the Klingons appearance changed from TOS to the Motion Picture. The reality of course is they just had more money and time so they could do the make up better, but it's fun to speculate on. Although of course Worf did say it is 'something we don't talk about'. :D

Timeline Man and Michael like this.
  12. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Yes! I have mentioned it before, but it was 3rd grade and those movies on Friday night TV (thank you CBS!) were an ongoing event for my crowd. Pure excitement in the pre-cable era. We all took turns having watch parties. Kids only, although a dad or two would be peeking around the corner- probably drawing inspiration from General Ursus.

Timeline Man likes this.
  13. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I still remember watching that first Planet of the Apes on network TV. That was huge for kids my age. I was 12

Timeline Man likes this.
  14. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I'd never knock the tv series but for a person who loved the films and thought at ages 8-14 they were amazing and still do, the television series was little more than Saturday morning fare continuing the more childish elements of Battle.
    I tuned in religiously every Friday but could see it was for the less initiated and tried to appeal to everyone and hence appealed to no one at least viewers like me who liked the Twilight zone, Outer Limits, Star Trek, and the Invaders.
    Perhaps I'm being to harsh. The ratings were actually very good but CBS wanted a whirlwind and the series cost mucho dollars.
    1974 was my first year of high school and maybe my tastes were changing though my love for the films never waned.

Did you mean Urko or Ursus?;). John M.

Timeline Man likes this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed!

16. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

At the end of the first movie Taylor assumes that the world is destroyed in a war. But earlier he thinks he's on another planet because there's no moon. Could the destruction of the moon have caused the catastrophic events on the planet instead? Did we blow up the moon? Can't believe he'd miss the moon if it was actually there

17. Grand_Ennui

Regarding the moon-Remember, Dodge says "It doesn't add up: Thunder and lightning, but no rain. Cloud covered nights, that strange luminousity, yet there's no moon..." The moon can easily be hidden behind the clouds that roll into The Forbidden Zone at night.

I've been outside plenty of times at night (yes, away from city lights) when it's been cloud covered, and yet the sky was more or less 'luminous'... The same thing could still be going on in the year 3978. Or, another thing, it could have been full-moon when there's no visible moon... Whatever the case, I do not believe there is literally no moon-If there wasn't a moon, what would be controlling the tide(s) on the beach?

The reality of it all is that stuff was included in the script as a way to throw people off and make the (future) planet seem more mysterious and un-Earthly.

apesfan and Timeline Man like this.
  18. Timeline Man

I pretty much know that. I just mentioned Africa, because I was writing my reply quickly.

"Intermediary" doesn't necessarily mean "vastly different" from the final Humanoid Ape form. They present some rudimentary variations.

19. Timeline Man

LOL, oh yeah, the old, ancient Klingon debacle!

20. Timeline Man

I didn't know that the ratings were good. It doesn't surprise me, even.

21. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

They weren't better than "Sanford and Son" that was in direct competition as far as I remember but they had a very good share that any other show would love to have. The ratings did go down as the Apes series went on though.
    Apes cost a lot of $$$ and CBS wanted blockbuster numbers and they in general got average to good numbers. Along with critic's deriding the stories as nothing special the word went out to kill the series in its infancy.
    Even the original films at their worst were intriguing and had something to say and the production values, even when poor, didn't take away from the uniqueness and audaciousness of these rated "G" films.
    The MPAA was in its infancy and violence and sex had to be over the top to get a "GP/PG, M/R rating in those years.
    Pota68 had no rating until it re-release in 1970. The ending of Beneath, Escape would be PG-13-R today. The preview version of Conquest was let's say Apes-plotation and amazing. We fans lost a 7 minute pre-credit sequence a few snippets of beatings here and there and the severely truncated final riot. The 2008 blu-ray discs has the riot branched on from the 1972 Japanese theatrical release.
    Anyway sorry for going on. Also all the music was fantastic. Take care, John M.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Timeline Man likes this.
  22. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Just saw on YouTube that there was a cartoon tv series too.

AlienRendel, thetman and Timeline Man like this.
  23. Grand_Ennui

I was just teasing you a little, all based around Kolp's revelation in CONQUEST that "there are no Chimpanzees in Borneo"...

Timeline Man likes this.
  24. Grand_Ennui

While I like the basic storyline/premise of the RETURN series, I would have preferred it more if they would have had a better budget so they could have /drawn/shown the apes on horses, rather than riding around in cars and jeeps... And do away with all the apes puns too...

Timeline Man likes this.
  25. Timeline Man

RETURN was based on Soror and the original 1963's "Monkey Planet". That was cool too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.