Time Travelling on the Planet of the Apes - my definitive timelines of the original POTA series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeline Man, Aug 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Myself loved that little cadence.
    That cue has since become the defacto music "theme" of the entire series.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  2. Timeline Man

Timeline Man Time Traveler from Naples Thread Starter

I just didn't remember that. Funny, the Lawgiver Prologue was set in the distant future (27th century), so basically the Lawgiver was not "remembering" those sequences.

3. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Its filmmaking. Showing the audience what he is teaching. I hope you understand this or am I half asleep. Added after editing to fill out the film.

Zira in ESCAPE under the influence of drugs explains the future and scenes are shown to the audience, they are not totally reminisces.
    This is done in many films since time immemorial.

I didn't use the word 'flashbacks' or 'remembering' pertaining to BATTLE -Post 198..

In The Matrix Morphias tells Neo many things and the audience is shown the all encompassing infrastructure of the Matrix. Do you really think Morphias is speaking from being in every situation.

When I explain the Byzantine empire to my granddaughter Im talking from learned education and history not from being there.
    Maybe I misunderstood your point. John M.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I liked the way the Power! book and record adaption handled BATTLE. They have it as though The Lawgiver is narrating the entire story as it goes along, not just prologue and epilogue as in the film.

apesfan and Timeline Man like this.
  5. Timeline Man

It's fine. I wasn't talking about your posts, just about the sequence itself. I know that you know that the Lawgiver wasn't "remembering" (of course).

apesfan likes this.
  6. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Yes, the way the Lawgiver bookends the film is an implication that the whole film was a narrative.
    I believe they might of gone that way but John Huston was only contracted for a few days work for his friend J.Lee Thompson.
    He had to get ready for "Chinatown".

Timeline Man likes this.
  7. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

8. Grand_Ennui

apesfan likes this.
  9. Timeline Man

apesfan likes this.
  10. Grand_Ennui

Will you be buying these?

On the Mego Museum, there are folks in Canada who are righteously ticked off at the high price they have to pay for shipment by Topps to Canada... If they're up in arms over shipping charges, I can only imagine the shipping charges to your locale would be twice as bad, if not worse...

Timeline Man likes this.
  11. Grand_Ennui

Speaking of Brent, in the link that was posted up-thread, the item's description calls him Major John Brent... Now I know John is canonical, since that's the name he gives in the novelization of BENEATH... However, I don't remember him having a rank mentioned anywhere... IIRC, in the BEHIND documentary, he's described as the ship's medic (but that may have been said elsewhere, but I know I have heard that title associated with Brent).

I don't own the Blu-Ray set that has the faux ANSA documentary that names the astronauts-Was Brent's name given on that, and if so, did he have an assigned rank?

Timeline Man and apesfan like this.
  12. Timeline Man

Honestly... IMHO, novelizations, merchandising and even commentary from screenplayers and directors don't count as "canon". If it's not on-screen, then it's not canonical to me.
    So basically, I don't know Brent's birthname. Unfortunately!

13. Grand_Ennui

14. Grand_Ennui

By "screenplayers", I presume you mean the script writers of the films? I would count their stuff as canon if it doesn't contradict what was seen on screen... Let's say during the interrogation scene in BENEATH that Brent told the mutants his name was John Christopher Brent, *to me* that would count, so long as it didn't contradict anything seen in the final film, and that's because that's what the screen writer had intended him to say, but it may have been cut or excised from being filmed for whatever reason.

Now, take the novelizations of the TV series stories-They refer to Chief of Security Urko and Chief Councillor Zaius as 'General' Urko and 'Dr.' Zaius... Now those two titles I do *not* consider canon, because they are never referred to by those titles on the TV episodes, just their 'Chief' titles.

I remember on the old Yahoo! pota group, while discussing the TV series, the moderator (who was joining in on the conversation) said that the ranks given to Virdon and Burke were just made up by fans, but I pointed out to him in a private email that Virdon was in fact referred to as a Colonel, and Burke was referred to as a Major in episodes of the TV series, so those ranks were definitely canon.

15. Grand_Ennui

I came across my book "Lexicon of the Planet of the Apes" and looked at the entry for Brent...

As I stated, I knew his name is John Christopher (as mentioned in the novelization of BENEATH, and I believe that name was also actually scripted but never made the film for whatever reason)... Anyway, the "Lexicon" book mentions that his rank is Major, and that it was first mentioned in the book "Conspiracy of the Planet of the Apes"...

That said, I do *not* consider that to be canon, because it has no connection to anything having to do with the original film (by that I mean the film itself, any of the various scripts for BENEATH, or even the original tie-in novelization, which I believe was actually based on one of the script drafts), and is really just from the imagination of some guy whose book is basically a glorified fan-fiction (and not a good one at that).

16. Timeline Man

I definitely agree with you. In my mind, we just don't know what is Brent's rank. Too bad they did not state his two birthnames on screen. I like "John Christopher". I love the character, and James Franciscus is great and cool.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. Grand_Ennui

As I said upthread, I do not own the 'Planet of the Apes' Blu-Ray set that includes the faux ANSA documentary-That said, since that was something sanctioned/created by FOX, what they say on there would be more "canon" to me, because it comes from their rights holder. I do know that they said the ship in PLANET is called 'Liberty 1', so, to me anyway, that definitely knocks 'Icarus' out for being the ship's name...

That said, if that faux ANSA documentary gave Brent a rank, then I'd accept it as "canon". But being in that book that, while I believe the guy had permission to use the POTA title, the book itself is not really 'authorized' as being canonical by FOX (now Disney), so it means nothing officially. That said, if people want to accept it as their personal canon, that's fine, but it's not official.

Timeline Man likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.