Timeless aged well. It's a classic album!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yesternow, Jun 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident Thread Starter

A substantial part of my music collection is from the 90s.

Several reasons for that: I was in my 20s - going to bars/discotheques/parties /live concerts. Having money from first jobs to buy music. But most of all the quality of the music.

Man, it was insane: Nirvana, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Metallica, Alice in Chains, NIN, Rage Against the Machine, Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, Radiohead, Faith No more, Pearl Jam, PJ Harvey...
    Some of them coming from the 80s I know.

If you were there you know what I mean. There was a sense that we were living special years music wise. So many great albums one after the other.

I was a rocker but during that decade started to appreciate electronic music as well. Portishead, Prodigy, Air, Massive attack, Kruder&Dorfmeister... I'm sure the electronic music was what led me to jazz. And jazz is what I've been listening to since.

IMO most of the electronic doesn't age well. The reason for this post is that one of those albums is 25 years old now and has aged pretty well. So well that I call it a classic.

It was sitting right next to my copy of Kind of Blue. And I was looking at both and thinking simplicity is surely a key ingredient to create a classic.

So I'm going to stop now and ask if you have anything to say about "Timeless".
    Do you have that album? Still play it?

[​IMG]

Goldie - Timeless.

If you miss the 90s, as I do... You can also post about it.

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Personally, in your entire post, the only "classic" album I think is "Kind Of Blue". :agree:

3. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Better than average for the genre, but not at all essential for me.

When it comes to Timeless that is truly timeless, I go with
    [​IMG]

tug_of_war, PHILLYQ, anduandi and 5 others like this.
  4. Palmreg

Palmreg Forum Resident

Imo, the only reason people come to jazz, is a natural reason, the age. That's not because they have become picky or found timeless music.
    I fond of the music I became addicted to at younger age as it grew on me. It has been crystalized into a classic for me.
    I don't approve digging into the records that are broader and more complicated than life itself regarding them as the result of curiosity. No love in them, so no return. I'd like to love and to return.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Yesternow likes this.
  5. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I would say it’s very much of its time. It screams mid 90’s. If someone was to make a nostalgic film from 25 years ago, some of it would be on the soundtrack along side of Bjork, Tricky and Roni Size. IMO nothing by dates faster than electronic music.
    I don’t mean it as an insult, I like those artists, but they sound nothing like contemporary pop (to their credit)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    frightwigwam likes this.
  6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I guess, I'm about the same age as the OP. But out of all the bands listed only a couple would I consider timeless. I would say Tool and Radiohead are the closest to being timeless. Certainly not '90s era Metallica. The '80s stuff with Burton has aged as well as anything from Black Sabbath, though. Tool just can't be pinned to time because they didn't get much radio play and while heavy it wasn't anything like the Grunge bands were doing. And Radiohead, except for the song Creep which is tied to as a radio staple to the '90s when a different direction afterwards exploring more than guitar driven songs.

7. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

That's the "Timeless" I thought of.

tug_of_war, PHILLYQ and Fischman like this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

For me Nothing is Timeless ... I either like it or don't like it, and although some albums have definite time links due to events or whatever, they all age.

I think every era I have had the good fortune to listen to has a plethora of great albums that step out from the pack and stand tall... it isn't a seventies, eighties or nineties phenomenon.

Of the bands up there that the OP mentions I have very high regard for the initial bands listed Nevermind, Blood Sugar Sex Magic, Justice For All, Dirt, Downward Spiral, Battle Of Los Angeles, Aenima, Ok Computer, Angel Dust, Vs, Stories from the City ... all well worth calling classic albums.
    Dummy, Fat Of The Land and Mezzanine, to me also all qualify as classic albums ...

Ryan Lux and Yesternow like this.
  9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The Nightfly, Donald Fagen

longdist01, tug_of_war and Vinny123 like this.
  10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Timeless and a lot of other DnB big hitters have aged pretty poorly IMO, Big Beat as well. There are tons of electronic albums from the 90s that I think sound like they could have been recently released, Timeless is not one of them. I think Photek’s DnB holds up much better.

Mumdad likes this.
  11. Synthfreek

I like the random 40 year old album mentions that have nothing to do with the OP. Just sees the words timeless and album and starts naming $hit.

Aftermath and 2trackmind like this.
  12. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Agreed, Timeless is a fun nostalgic listen but I feel like the mid-90s new agey vibes it sometimes gets into dates it quite a bit. I like Modus Operandi more, plus A Guy Called Gerald's Black Secret Technology and the stuff Luke Vibert did under the Plug name. Some The Third Eye Foundation tracks hold up OK since he he had a pretty different style going on. One jungle album which sounds like it could've been recorded yesterday is Christoph de Babalon's If You're Into It, I'm Out of It.

There's been a bit of an uptick in new drum and bass/jungle influenced stuff lately, it seems to be coming back around. Enjoyed the AceMoMa album in particular and the recent Soul Jazz compilation was really good.

Synthfreek likes this.
  13. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Timeless by Goldie felt dated within a year. Very much of its time.
    None of the artists listed would make my top 100 except Miles Davis.

tug_of_war likes this.
  14. Synthfreek

Luke Vibert is a big fave of mine, his Plug and Amen Andrews records are fantastic. When I'm feeling nostalgic for some Goldie, I usually play my friend David's remix of "Inner City Life."

15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Tom Petty comes to mind when I think about 90's music. Other than that, I pretty well skipped the 90's music scene.

Timeless? never heard of it!

16. Timos

Timos Forum resident

I like it - a good album. Maybe a bit too well produced, but pretty darn impressive nonetheless. If you like your jazz I can see why you’d dig it.

I only recently picked up the double-disc version on Discogs, having had the single CD since it was released. I bought it with my staff discount on my first day working at Our Price, a much-loved but long defunct UK music store.

Any other folk out there wanting to sample old skool jungle should look no further than the unimaginatively but accurately titled ‘The Ultimate Drum And Bass Collection’ from 1995 on a budget label called Quality Price Music (no joke). It's a four-disc set, complete with shoddy cheap artwork, grammatical errors - and hardly a single weak track. Amazing sound too, pre-loudness wars and very crankable!

Yesternow likes this.
  17. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I liked Timeless at the time, but less over time.

I kinda feel that way about all 90s drum'n'bass/jungle/drill'n'bass/etc ... innaressing when it first came out, now kinda stuck in amber as the world has moved on.

Maybe the only similar album that I'd listen to now is T-Power - The Self-Evident Truth Of An Intuitive Mind:

[​IMG]

edit: and maybe some Photek and Squarepusher as well.

--Geoff

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  18. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Unsure if the intent of thread is to post what we think of as timeless albums, or 1 particular album titled Timeless. :confused:o_O Instructions unclear as to what OP desires; if this is just that album, the 90s in general, electronic albums or timeless jazz. There's multiple subjects in first post, so it can be interpreted several different ways.
    Going by the thread title - This is my thought on Timeless/Aged Well/Classic, which doesn't sound particularly related to one definitive decade.
    Bruce Hornsby And The Range - The Way It Is
    I don't hear that it screams of any particular time period & definitely not of the 80s.
    :):):):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

19. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Definitely not so in my case, I was 16 when I got interested in jazz, thanks toMahavishnu!

20. More Than A Feeling

More Than A Feeling Little River, Big Adventures!

I sometimes listen to Metv FM from Chicago and that is one of the few 80s songs they play often(Easy Lover, Down Under and Don't Dream It's Over are the only 3 other songs from non 70s carryovers that they play often)

21. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

idano seems kinda clear to me:

So I'm going to stop now and ask if you have anything to say about "Timeless".
    Do you have that album? Still play it?

The OP is asking about opinions for one particular album.

--Geoff

Aftermath likes this.
  22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think the electronic music of that era has aged better than most of the grunge, to be honest. I think their use of old school samples and a good amount of analog gear in the pre-computer era really make stuff like Mezzanine or Dig Your Own Hole still sound amazing 20+ years later. (Of course a lot of music was recorded on computers/protools by then, but the sounds were all still mostly coming from other devices that they had to master)

Meanwhile so much of the (American) rock music of the time just feels like mopey complaining now. Of course AIC and Soundgarden were great, and I liked them, but it hasn’t aged well for me, in that I’m rarely compelled to revisit it even though I like them a lot as musicians. Pearl Jam and NIN are the only ones I still really follow, but they also went so far beyond just their early 90’s sound and style.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Meet The Beatles

GarySteel and steveharris like this.
  24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

oh man that record is one of the most 80’s albums ever made. Horrible sequenced drums (even though you’ve got the great John Molo) and replacing the bass player with a synth. Hornsby is an all-time favorite musician, but this album has not aged well (although the songs themselves are wonderful).

I love 80’s synthpop, but a guy who is at his core a roots-rocker (maybe before that was even a thing) was a strange combination.

25. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

The OP is vague w/what they are addressing here, not making anything clear at all b/c they've listed a number of different subjects. They are discussing the electronic album Timeless, & go on to cite 90s grunge, metal, industrial, alternative & funk-metal bands & jazz music.... Not at all defining the parameters of the thread - as I'd stated in my original post, it's very much open for interpretation, as others' here are obviously doing w/their posts & which you've done, as well, by taking it to solely mean the Timeless album. That's your "take" but, again, OP is all over the place & they're who should really be addressing this.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.