Timeless (NBC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm sorry I missed your comment four months ago, Wayne -- I think you have a dead-on accurate assessment of the show. It is very, very similar to Time Tunnel, only they have the added element of two time machines and two different teams of people altering the past, each trying to stay a step ahead of the other.

The series returns on Sunday March 11th on NBC.

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

We just watched the Season One episode "Space Race" and it was surely a game changer for the series. I'm sorry I'd given up on the show before then, but I've now made up for it by ordering the S1 DVD.

S2 starts in two days.

marmalade166 likes this.
  3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I've only watched a few episodes of this & then forgot about it.
    Is it still streaming? Netflix? Hulu?

Darryl

4. HGN2001

Not sure. I found the episode we watched last evening on my Roku's NBC channel. It made me log in and gave me 3 credits to watch 3 "locked" shows. I recalled someone in this thread pointing out that the "Space Race" episode was good somehow, and that's about where we left off last year. I was hoping that the NBC app on Roku would let us binge and catch up before Sunday's start of Season Two, but it looked like I'd only get two more episodes, so I ordered the DVD set.

That won't arrive until Monday, so I'm not sure what to do about the S2 premiere. Those early S2 episodes on NBC.com might be unlocked for a time - and there might be a Friday or Saturday rerun. Anyway, I won't worry about S2 until I've seen S1 all the way through. DVDs or other streaming options will have to do.

Re-reading this thread in full, there was a few mentions of some anachronisms relating to the Apollo 11 moon landing. I spotted some too and was willing to give the show a pass:

- Rufus sat down to several green-screen CRT terminals. If my memory is correct, those did not exist at all in 1969 computers.
    - When communications to the Eagle were established, a color image was seen on the NASA screen. There was no live camera within Eagle, and certainly not color.
    - As I recall, the landing took place on a Sunday afternoon, but the moon-walk didn't start until close to midnight Eastern time. I think there might have been too much daylight shown in the episode.

All of these were minor flaws, and didn't deter me from enjoying the episode.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Still streaming on Hulu.

6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Season One on netflix in Canada

7. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I'd never heard of Timeless until I read about this lawsuit (apparently settled quietly). I've not seen any episodes, but I have been watching El Ministerio Del Tiempo on Netflix and have been enjoying it very, very much. From what I'm reading about Timeless, I can see why the producers of Ministerio would bring the lawsuit.
    If anyone here has watched Ministerio and Timeless, what are your thoughts regarding the acting/stories on each series? I'm wondering if I'd enjoy Timeless as much as El Ministerio Del Tiempo.

8. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

But only the last 4 or 5 episodes.

9. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Huh? The whole first season is available for watching. Of course I'm a subscriber so that may have something to do with it.

10. dougotte

You are correct! I should have checked again before posting. Before, when I looked at my List or whatever it's called in Hulu, it read "4 Unwatched" but I misread it as "4 Episodes". I'm a member, and I do see that all 16 first season episodes are available. Thanks.

Dok likes this.
  11. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Glad to see Timeless Season 2 begin. I enjoyed last nights episode.

12. The showrunner is begging people on social media to watch because Timeless was very lucky to get renewed with its mediocre ratings.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not bad first show.

14. dougotte

I just watched the 2nd episode. It was pretty, pretty good. The scale is more intimate, but I'll take what I can get.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I mentioned this elsewhere in a Citizen Kane thread that this weekend, the episode of Timeless takes the regulars back to Hollywood in August, 1941, just before the release of that film. Their mission is to stop Evil Forces from destroying the original negative and the only existing prints of Kane, which I think is a hilarious and interesting plot idea. We'll see how well they can reproduce the look and feel of 1940s Hollywoo.

[​IMG]

jpelg and budwhite like this.
  16. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

^This week's ep (S02, Ep03 "Hollywoodland") is a visual treat.
    Lucy (Abigail Spencer) gets to glam up in her "favorite era" style, & looks absolutely stunning.

Plus, she sings! (and not half-bad either)

sixtiesstereo and dougotte like this.
  17. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

I got a laugh when they told Hearst about the film mentioning "Rosebud", which Gore Vidal has said was Hearst's nickname for a part of Marion Davies' anatomy.
    Based on the reaction shot of the Hearst character, I don't think the show was referencing the snow sled the film uses.:)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  18. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I'd love to help the guy but every time I try to cast from nbc.com the video freezes.

19. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

They cleverly threw in some real stuff about Hedy (not Hedley)Lamarr.

20. HGN2001

I'm stuck now being a week behind on TIMELESS. The NBC app on Roku has the current week's episode locked unless you're a cable or satellite subscriber. So I'll have to wait until Monday to see the Hollywood episode.

21. dougotte

This week's episode was brilliant - I loved every minute! I was apprehensive about this season with the reduced budget, but so far they've kept all the important elements and amplified them - characters, situations, historical settings, etc.

jpelg likes this.
  22. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I'm glad the show is back. We probably should enjoy it while it lasts. I don't think the ratings are good and it will most likely be gone after this season.

Re. the 'Hollywoodland' (Hearst- Citizen Kane) episode. The clue Flynn gives the team as to why Rittenhouse agents would be going back to 1941 Hollywood is part of the Paramount logo and that is why they end up at the gates of Paramount Studios, which they enter; and Barney Balaban, a character in the episode, was a Paramount executive. The episode correctly informs us that 'Citizen Kane' is an RKO production and the Rittenhouse sleeper agent is identified as an RKO exec. So, why is the only copy of 'Citizen Kane' at Paramount and not RKO, and why is the sleeper agent/ RKO executive wandering freely around Paramount? Why not just set the episode at RKO? Could have had a young Orson Welles in his prime as a character.

(And to be even more nitpickingly annoying) Hedy Lamarr worked at MGM at this time, not Paramount, but her inclusion because of her scientific talents was a nice touch. The actress who played her, Alyssa Sutherland, is from 'Vikings'.

Is 'Rittenhouse' derived from Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia?

https://www.visitphilly.com/things-to-do/attractions/rittenhouse-square-park/

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    PhantomStranger likes this.
  23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Currently giving this another go. Seems I start, stop & forget about the series.
    I’m 3 episodes in so far.

Darryl

24. HGN2001

Stick with it. Binge if you can. It flows better that way, and the small details add up to more significance.

25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I binge watched The Timr Tunnel awhile back. It left me wishing there were more episodes.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.