Timeless (NBC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Just stumbled on this page (from a month ago) of a USA Today poll as to which shows should be
    renewed and which should be cancelled. As you can see, "Timeless" is far and away the top pick.
    Hopefully NBC sees this.....
    [​IMG]

carrick doone likes this.
  2. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Ohhh this brings my hopes up...I am happily cautiously optimistic. I enjoyed the first year a lot and the second year was fun too. And what a cliffhanger!

I hope it returns just so we can chew on and laugh over the obvious conflicts and structural plotholes.

Small comment - I thought the writing of Flynn was far superior over last year. They gave him a sense of humour and just enough psychopath to make him dangerous to the group which became a storyline throughout the season. Very clever.

3. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Started watching Ministerio a couple of weeks ago. Really enjoying it. It's a great idea but you do have to relax a little with the whole "well if they can time travel..." and I like the fact that sometimes plotholes or gaffes you think of come up in later episodes as 'gotchas' (the motorcycle incident was really funny).

We do however have to keep Google on hand to look up all the historical Spanish figures so it's educational from that perspective.

Well worth a look.

jtiner likes this.
  4. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I've been enjoying it, too.

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

6. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not sure what you would do with a movie for this. Would you run it on the network that didn't want such a low-rated show on their schedule? Would you release it in the dead of post-Oscar-Season mall cinemas, where it won't make much headway? Would you put it on SyFy amidst the Crockosaurus movies? Would you toss it into the Netflix pool, where it will drown in the sea of over-leveraged content?

One thing you wouldn't do...is have this conversation with the showrunners and the studio; they're bummed enough as it is.

:idea: On the other hand, maybe they could go back into the past, and get the cancellation changed...!

jpelg likes this.
  8. That’s too bad. It wasn’t a great show but it was entertaining kind of like watching a less gonzo version of Time Tunnel without silver painted aliens.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    carrick doone likes this.
  10. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I watched it as I like time travel stuff but I found it too convoluted and confusing at times.

11. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

carrick doone, BZync, Alan G. and 2 others like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

13. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree -- I think it would've been nice to give them a 2-hour wrap up.

You could write a pretty interesting list of TV shows that had huge finales with an expectation for a final episode/season/movie... but it never happened.

15. sixtiesstereo

16. sixtiesstereo

And here's another article about it (LA Times) with comments from the cast.
    Can't wait to see how they save Rufus, whether Lucy finally gets her sister back,
    and if they get rid of Rittenhouse.....
    NBC turns back the clocks on 'Timeless' cancellation (again)
    (click on the show more button for the full article)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    dougotte likes this.
  17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

18. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Great news! Fun show.

19. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

Good news. I've already pre-ordered TIMELESS Season Two on DVD and now will have this to look forward to during the Christmas season.

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Great news :edthumbs::cheers:

21. Dok

Dok Senior Member

22. sixtiesstereo

So who watched the two hour series finale last night? As a fan of the show, it was great
    seeing the entire cast back, and I really enjoyed it. It was a great gift to the hardcore fans of the show (like myself). And they tied up a lot of loose ends and had a basically "happy" resolution to the series. (No spoilers as of yet).
    And, they did leave a slight opening for a continuation of the series if any other
    broadcast/cable networks may be interested. I hope so. I really like the entire cast.
    Also, the overnight ratings were 3.22 million viewers. Since this doesn't include
    those who watched it on Hulu, or DVR'd it (like myself), that seems to be impressive....

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  23. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

We enjoyed it, too. Liked that show a lot.

At least one possible opening to a continuation:

Is Emma really dead?

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

Just finished watching the final two-parter. I thought it was mostly OK, except, like much of the series, it all felt very rushed. Critical dialog is tossed out in very quick sentences and phrases as people are going to and from wherever their going to and from from. (Sorry, borrowed that line- a Radar-ism - from M*A*S*H).

We had to watch the two-parter on NBC.com, since our local antenna isn't picking up NBC with much reliability. Without spoiling anything, I *do* like it when shows dealing with alternate realities or timelines use coloration of the picture to clue us in on where or when we are. The first part was very yellow-brown, while the second part was tinted quite blue-cyan, and of course our main timeline is all naturally colored.

I've gotten the DVD sets of Season One and Season Two, and I hope the final "movie" gets a physical release to complete my collection.

Vidiot and jpelg like this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I was able to catch it with minutes to spare on the DVR, and thought it was OK. I agree with @HGN2001 that the show was rushed, and I also think it was done on the cheap: they had not one but two major fight scenes and battles that all happened off-screen (!!!), where our heroes hid and we just heard the "sounds" of the war outside their closed windows. I hate when they do this. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Full review here:
    ‘Timeless’ Series Finale Review: Fans Get the Gift of a Satisfying Ending

The review is much more positive than I would have been. A lot of the show was too convenient, but I'll say this: they wrapped up the loose ends, explained a few things, and gave us an ending with some finality.

Showrunner Shawn Ryan had some things to say:

‘Timeless’ Finale: Co-Creator Shawn Ryan Talks “Greatest Hero” Of Time-Traveling Series, Twists & Another Possible Return

'Timeless' Series Finale: How Shawn Ryan Set the Stage for Another Comeback

jpelg, sixtiesstereo and Dok like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.