Timewatching: The Divine Comedy Album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LivingForever, Nov 5, 2020.

1. paletro

paletro Forum Resident

Thank you, it's very kind of you. I already have the first edition of forever Land. Is it the same mix or different ?

2. BobaMosfett

BobaMosfett Forum Resident

I believe Foreverland and Office Politics are not remastered, so it will be the same. Would be nice to have a correct and complete boxset, of course.

3. The Turning Year

The Turning Year Lowering average scores since 2021

Ah, I think its the same... don't think that one was remastered...?

TheLemmingFace likes this.
  4. a paul

a paul Forum Resident

Conversation
    I like this one. I don't really mind that it's a list song, as the tune is quite catchy and goes along at a nice pace.
    I like the ending of Perpendicular "...Talk about nothing in particular..." leading on to this song about conversation.

(I must stop saying I Like, especially as I don't really think I like I Like..)

5. DaniMoonstar

DaniMoonstar Forum Resident

The lost art of conversation
    The final of four songs that I came across due to the Word magazine including them on their free CDs, which means, like @The Turning Year, I sometimes conflate this with ‘Assume the perpendicular,’ even though the songs are substantially different.

(Incidentally, it did make me wonder about how the inclusion of these tracks ended up with the magazine, especially as, unlike one each for ‘Absent friends’ and ‘Victory…,’ the compilers included two cuts from this album - appearing in different months. Was this more on Neil’s end? Was he and his management keen on the magazine? We’re the editors particularly eager to promote Neil’s work? I’ve no idea.)

Not sure if there’s really an overarching theme but I do like the random nature of the topics included: David Jason, League of Nations, transubstantiation, Van Dyke Parks. Always brings a smile.

4/5

6. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

The Lost Art of Conversation

Overall a little bit goofy for me, but I really like the music. Enough so to give it a 3.5/5. Oh, and the whistling! I like the whistling a lot.

7. The Booklover

The Booklover Forum Resident

Another very good song about a topic that's not usually found in pop songs. Sure, the lyrics lean towards comedy with random items listed in TDC fashion: the inclusion of "transubstantiation" being a particular highlight, which I've actually talked about several times whenever the differences between Catholic and Protestant church services come up in conversation.

However, the song's topic itself isn't goofy at all but touches upon the increasing tendency to avoid contact or conversations with strangers we meet and how that might be detrimental.

In one 2011 experiment, behavioral scientists Nicholas Epley and Juliana Schroeder asked commuters to do the unthinkable: Start a conversation. The duo had Chicago train commuters talk to their fellow passengers. "When Dr. Epley and Ms. Schroeder asked other people in the same train station to predict how they would feel after talking to a stranger, the commuters thought their ride would be more pleasant if they sat on their own," the New York Times summarizes. Though the participants didn't expect a positive experience, after they went through with the experiment, "not a single person reported having been snubbed."

In fact, these commutes were reportedly more enjoyable compared with those sans communication, which makes absolute sense, since human beings thrive off of social connections. It's that simple: Talking to strangers can make you feel connected. The train ride is a fortuity for social connection -- "the stuff of life," Wortmann says. Even seemingly trivial interactions can boost mood and increase the sense of belonging.

Quoted from: This Is Why You Stare At Your Phone On Your Commute -- And Why You Should Stop

In this context, the lyric about trying to talk to commuters with earphones reminds me of this bit in Marillion's "Fugazi": Sheathed within the Walkman, wear the halo of distortion/Aural contraceptive aborting pregnant conversation

It's also a throwback to the love interest in "Commuter Love": She's not/Like the others/With their papers/And their headphones on

So, unusual subject matter delivered in a trademark TDC style with some well-arranged uplifting pop music, what's not to like?
    Me too.

Another 4 from me.

8. TheLemmingFace

TheLemmingFace Forum Resident

The Lost Art Of Conversation
    This is the exact opposite of ‘Assume The Perpendicular’, as far as I’m concerned - in that the arrangement sounds great but I think the song is just bonus track grade material. I really struggle to remember it. 3/5 because it sounds good.

HOWEVER I think ‘What’s Wrong With You’ is a great proto-song. Weird, isn’t it. I guess the lyrics fit the melody so well they lift it into stronger territory, whereas the lyrics of Lost Art of Conversation make the tune seem worse than it is (to me, at least!). Would have much preferred a finished version of What’s Wrong With You to what we ended up with.

LivingForever likes this.
  9. Dalav

Dalav Forum Resident

The Lost Art of Conversation

This is where the cumulative effect of two "up" songs of this type in a row starts to weigh down this album for me.

But, the opening is lovely--the way the piano intro progresses to lower notes until the full band comes in and the song starts rolling along. Musically, I'd prefer a bit more shade to balance the light, which I guess points to there being not enough of interest in the arrangement. Lyrically, just not finding a topic here to care about. A bit of a cascade of words. (And agree with @The Turning Year that the song deserved better than the "men in white coats" cliche).

The What's Wrong With You demo doesn't stray much from the overall formula, so I'd rate them both about the same.

3.0/5

The Turning Year likes this.
  10. drykid

drykid Forum Resident

The Lost Art of Conversation - I liked it more than I thought I was going to. Of the songs premiered on the solo piano tour, this is the one that I think gains most from the added instrumentation (although I guess from Neil's perspective the band arrangements had already been written before that tour, so for him it was more a case of stripping them down to solo piano than adding extra things on for the record.) I still think it's a bit too clever for its own good, and Neil's journey from skewering the middle classes in "Middle Class Heroes" in the nineties to basically lauding dinner parties here is not necessarily the direction of travel I'd have liked to see. But anyway not as bad as I remembered it. 3 / 5.

What's Wrong With You - The lyric could've been written by anyone really; there's nothing there that makes you think "yeah, that's a Hannon song." Which I find quite unusual; there's always *something* even in his weaker numbers. I do like the mild techno beat, and it makes me wonder what this arrangement would've sounded like combined with the final LAoC lyric. But I suspect the two wouldn't have matched up too well. 2 / 5 anyway.

11. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic Thread Starter

Really struggling for time this week, but for now, Today’s song is:

Island Life

A song originally intended for the “Swallows and Amazons” musical, as Neil explains in his liner notes:

“Swallows And Amazons was coming along nicely. Writing sessions at the National Theatre were a bit of a shock to the system though. I'd bash out sheer perfection on the upright in my little ante room. Tom would listen then, with jovial straightforwardness, say, 'it's not right, but I think you're really getting somewhere!'. I've been spoilt rotten over the years. sole arbiter of my musical output. To be told that I was doing it wrong was, erm... refreshing. Of course, there's only so much time to get from A to B in a plot, and if a song doesn't perform a valuable role it's out. Hard to take though when, like Island Life, it's one of the most gorgeous things you've ever written. Cathy is marvellous on it. I remember quivering in adoration as she applied her Disney-esque harmonies. I fell hopelessly in love with her that day.”

Here’s the song:

12. LivingForever

Here’s a demo from the boxset:

13. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Island Life

If there's one thing wrong with this, it may be that the introduction overstays its welcome a little. The outro threatens to return to the same melodic accompaniment that was featured in the introduction, but breaks things up by adding a string arrangement that saves it from an ending that would have left me wanting a little more.

Otherwise, this is just as breezy and sweet as the lyrics intimate. The contrasting vocals of Neil and Cathy are at their best here. A lovely summery track after the two preceding kitchen sink pop arrangements.

I'm not sure why this demo was included on the box set - compared with other demos, this is really not much different than the final version, except that this is all Neil on the vocals, and quite busy those vocals are too! Interesting as a contrast, I guess.

14. drykid

drykid Forum Resident

Island Life - Ugh. I wanted to call this the nadir of Neil's career; but we haven't finished the album yet... It's grim stuff though as far as I'm concerned. I really can't find anything positive about it, only negatives. Like the interminable intro that serves no purpose. Or the unspeakably banal lyrics ("play all day / sleep all night" - I mean, really? If you can write Promenade when you're 23 then there's no excuse for this fifteen years further down the line.) I really struggled to get through four-and-a-half-minutes of this. As for "one of the most gorgeous things he's ever written", well they say true love is blind.

I like the demo fractionally more; a) because it's a lot shorter and skips the intro; and b) it's quite nice to hear Neil harmonising with himself. He doesn't do that much on the finished records, does he? It's a shame really.

I'm going to have to give this 0.5 / 5 (maybe 1.5 for the demo, though if I had my way neither would be on the album.)

The Booklover likes this.
  15. The Turning Year

Island Life
    I'm always surprised by this one as I forget it exists. It's a good surprise though. Very pretty with the twinkly bits and a gorgeous vocals from Cathy again.
    The intro is especially good I think (although it seems others disagree! :p), and the matching outro as well. I think the way it burbles along signifies there being no rush, nothing particular to do.
    Its another one of those where I can't quite figure out where the beat is and always get it wrong.
    I enjoy the way it takes off in the middle and goes a bit circusy (again - its a 'circusy' album!). There's a funny little percussion sound near the end which I like that sounds like someone tapping away with a pen on a mug!
    I'll be super generous as it sounds so perfect on a bright and breezy summer day (which it was when I wrote this... today is grey and a torrential downpourhas just started, just like the Lake District! :D)
    4.0/5.0

I haven't got onto the Bang bonus disc yet hadn't heard the demo.
    Yes! The close harmonies make it sound really dense and hard to pick out an actual melody at times. Actually I think that is the case on the album version too, but it really helps to have their contrasting voices.

16. LivingForever

Here’s Neil playing it live as a solo guitar piece…

17. LivingForever

And here’s a rare video of a performance from both Neil and Cathy (who supported Neil on many dates of this tour..)

not the best video but the only one I could find. @drykid do you have one at all? (Perhaps not now I’ve read your review ;) )

18. The Turning Year

That's nice :) (and somebody brought the words along... ;))

19. LivingForever

There’s also this very false start which the person uploading it thoughtfully detached from the finished thing before uploading!

20. drykid

drykid Forum Resident

Nah but then again they didn't duet together very often anyway at that time (although it's my vague recollection she was with him on that piano tour most of the time, so it can't have been for lack of opportunities. ) I do have a video of them doing the old standard "I Only Have Eyes For You" together live though.

It wouldn't be correct to say I only recorded songs I liked though. For instance I always recorded Can You Stand Upon One Leg? even though I can't stand the song (oops spoiler) because there was usually something crazy going on whenever he performed it live.

21. The Turning Year

Oh dear... :doh: (I thought the first mistake was Cathy's for a moment, but no...)

The Booklover and LivingForever like this.
  22. jon-senior

jon-senior Forum Resident

Island Life

I'd forgotten (or missed) the fact that this came out of a Swallows and Amazon track, but it makes sense. As @drykid says, it's no work if lyrical genius, but I think it's a charming track - simple, but about something simple so that works. Once again, the arrangement makes it - the duet aspect is lovely, the overlapping vocals in the last chorus are particularly good. I also like the way that Neil surrenders much of the chorus to Cathy before putting his vocals on the final run through - he repeats this trick on Napolean Conquest, so I guess he liked it too. Another great instrumental break - the strings work really well with the muted trumpets.

I think, ultimately, it does what it sets out to do pretty much perfectly. I can see why it wouldn't be to everyone's taste, but it's another in a run of very strong songs as far as I'm concerned. 4/5

23. Linky53

Linky53 Forum Resident

Lots of catching up to do on this album. Life has just overtaken reading the forum this week but here goes;

Banker
    It had to be said as many people were thinking the same thing. Randy would have been more concise and more sarcastic but this one is OK 4/5

Neopolitan Girl
    One of my favourites from the album. Dark lyrics with a contrasting happy tune. The background to the lyrics has enlightened me greatly and this is a sad subject but somehow the music overrides the sadness of the lyric. A great song! 5/5

Bang Goes the Knighthood
    Us mere mortals don't know the half of it.... There will be a lot more doing this than Max..... 3.8/5

Indie Disco
    Seems rather lightweight for a single and I am not surprised that it didn't really dent the chart. Neil has fun checking out the bands and i like the backing. Probably a lot better in concert than on record where he stretches his legs a little with the Blue Monday section. Don't like version 1 at all. 4/5

Have You Ever Been in Love
    OK its slightly soppy and a bit simple with just the piano and strings, but I always get a smile on my face when I hear this. You have to be in a certain place in life to write this kind of thing and its great Neil found that place in the end. 4.4/5

Assume the Perpendicular
    Only Neil could write those lyrics and paint that picture of the cultural summers day going round the stately home. Added to a great tune this is another highlight of the album. Builds nicely, lovely trumpet going on in the background and some great circus effects all adding to the mix. Love this one! 4.8/5

Lost Art of Conversation
    Not a lot to say but like it anyway. 4.4/5

Island life
    OK, its a bit west end musical and the kind of thing you would hear on Elaine Paige on a banal sunday afternoon show but I love this. Cathy is the star for me. Her vocals are so unique and combined with Neil's very different delivery it forms a great contrast which probably shouldn't work but it does. I like the intro, it gives the song a dream like introduction that sort of takes you away from the album for a few moments into something slightly different. 5/5

24. The Booklover

The Booklover Forum Resident

It there's one thing wrong with this, it may be that the introduction isn't followed up by an equally enchanting song. Instead, you have this intro conjuring up a magical atmosphere only to be immediately destroyed by some awful country and western verse, a lightweight McCartney-by-numbers bridge (still the least annoying vocal melody of the song, though) and a sickly sweet chorus that wouldn't be out of place in a Disney movie or musical.

The intro is the only thing I really love, but I agree with you that it doesn't serve any purpose because all the build-up only leads to disappointment by what comes after.

Ah, finally some love for the intro. Yes, it's great. It's such a shame that I'm pulled out of the dream by the awful verse, though.

As for Neil's assessment in the liner notes, I'm not going to begrudge him his new-found love and being intoxicated by her vocals, but as a listener I'm bored by this blandness. It's not that I dislike Cathy's vocals per se, I did enjoy her backing vocals on the other songs so far (at least in the final versions).

1 (for the intro and outro)

drykid likes this.
  25. LivingForever

Wow, I thought we had already done the most Marmite song of this album (Indie Disco, you may have a contender!)