Tired of the Technics vs Rega Turntable debate?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AKA-Chuck G, Dec 22, 2020.

1. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member Thread Starter

I was hoping to make this the all inclusive whining thread and keep it out of EVERY I want to buy a new turntable thread. :wave:

So much for that idea. Nice system you got there BTW. :wave:

avanti1960 likes this.
  2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Exactly! That's the reason I don't even remember how many TT's I have, there is no point in compromising, have the two!

AKA-Chuck G likes this.
  3. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

Go to bed and sleep it off.

TSWisla and bdfin like this.
  4. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Well, yes and no. I have a Technics Sl-1200mk5, and once I accidentally turned off the pitch lock and the slider was just about 1.5-2% fast. For days albums that I knew well didn't sound right. It drove me nuts until I learned what happened. I went back and forth as music was playing and it was very subtle but noticeable. My Rega runs about 33.59 rpm on average and that's probably right at the upper limit for some, which is about 1% fast. So to be honest, it's more of an OCD thing: but a table should run at proper speed--a point very few would quibble with.

5. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Salesspeak malarkey imo.

6. russk

russk Forum Resident

There will always be those with a vested interest in pushing belt drives. Anyone can make and market one and I’m sure they have healthy profit margins. Take Rega tables, a purchased motor, rubber band, and a slab of styrofoam. The arm and plater are about the only decent parts and that’s if they get the platter right during the manufacturing. Big if. Not even going to get into the fact they’ve never seemed to be able to master the art of getting the damn things to turn 33 1/3 times in a minute or the wow and flutter. Now take all that with a good sense of humor. Us direct drive people enjoy a good laugh at you flat earthers.

7. russk

russk Forum Resident

Now did I mean all of that. Nah. Rega make great plug and play setups. They are a bit over priced here in the U.S. but the RP6 or P6 with an Exact will give you some amazing sound quality with very minimal effort involved.

The Technics SL1200gr can definitely beat the similarly priced Rega sound wise but will take much more time and effort.

Both can give you the goods. Just depends on the type of goods you are looking for.

Maltman, souladdikt, willboy and 3 others like this.
  8. harby

harby Forum Resident

Step one: Frame your argument like there is a debate:
    "Tired of the old global warming climate change debate"

Step two: Get people invested in their side:
    "The old Rolex vs Seiko debate"; one is a hand-crafted precision 24 jewel timepiece, an indication to others that you've arrived, an heirloom to be passed down. (The other of course will still tell you the correct time when you take it out of a drawer a week, a month, three years later.)

cmndrums likes this.
  9. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

It's really funny taking arguments from a store that only sells Rega ... from a Rega dealer ... I mean, come on my friend.

There're people listening to vinyl more than 40 years in this forum, it must be a kind of joke.

Serious brands like SME and VPI are releasing direct drive tts, also the CEO of VPI talks clearly about the superior technology in direct drive motors and how they now can make a good direct drive implementation.

I have had older technics 1200 where you can hear sustained notes on piano (i know well the notes because I studied piano on my youth) and embarrassing a "hifi" Rega p3.

I don't know how much to say, because this kind of thread generally feed haters an people without much knowledge based on theorical arguments or third part opinions.
    So, i only try to say, please take more quality information before creating a thread like this.

Technocentral likes this.
  10. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

There's room for all of us in this hobby!
    If you want accurate playback, get a Technics. If you want a Rega, get a Rega.
    Live and let live!

VinylCountdown and Gary7704 like this.
  11. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I agree ... but what it's wrong ... It's wrong. You can say you like Rega more than Technics, and it's all right. But if you try to use "fake news" in front of people that maybe are taking that information as "the truth" ... it goes far from "let live".

We can't discuss taste / what you like ... but objective arguments ... yes.

BillWojo likes this.
  12. AKA-Chuck G

You need too take another look "my friend". :uhhuh:

Turntables - Turntables | Audio Advice

VinylCountdown likes this.
  13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Stupid thread just created to get people arguing.

14. AKA-Chuck G

Fake news my #ss... You can't handle the truth. :biglaugh:

15. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

And you read my arguments or you blindly believe in what makes more profit to the store?

16. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I'm wasting my time ... go on with your talk about direct drive. Sooner or later people will reach the knowledge you don't have ... and things will be clear for them.

17. AKA-Chuck G

No, created to get it all out here instead of every darn TT post. :chill:

But it figures the Technics crowd comes to the rescue. I can take it here if you just stop dishing it out everywhere else. :righton:

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. AKA-Chuck G

Figures you won't admit you are clearly wrong about "not carrying technics" so you change the argument in typical fashion.

19. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

Do you guys ever just sit back and listen to the damn music and enjoy it, whether or not it is at + or - .05 of the exact 33 1/3 speed.....for crying out loud...:blah:
    Merry Christmas.......:wiggle:

Gary7704, loudinny, sturgus and 4 others like this.
  20. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I talked about many arguments ... read my post again. And then talks with people that really have knowledge, like SME / VPI or Michael Fremer ... and do some experience as i do with vinyl from 70s, using many tts in broadcasting or at home.

21. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I've got the best of both worlds: My turntable is both direct and belt drive.

Furthermore, my cartridge has moving magnets and coils.

22. AKA-Chuck G

Mike, things are clear you won't admit when you were wrong.

23. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Don't use a Technics although I own a few. I'm partial to my Victor (JVC) DD tables, after all they did invent quartz lock. Own a rubber band drive table to, a Pioneer PL-41D, uses an AC motor. Very speed stable and runs at the correct speed. No cheap crappy DC driven rubber band drive machines for me, they run inconsistently unless they employ some sort of closed loop feedback.
    Unless a TT can perform it's basic function and run at the correct speed, it's nothing more than a toy, don't care what it looks like or what it cost.

BillWojo

VinylCountdown, patient_ot and nosliw like this.
  24. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I don't particularly like TT and neither am I a fan of LP records, but I do own an M5G. For me it does what other TT I tried from Pro-Ject and Rega can't do, which is sitting unused for months and instantly play a record flawlessly once they are switched on.

25. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Listened to Beethoven's Sonata No, 7 in D major op. 10 no. 3, Deutsche Grammophon, Martha Argerich - Early Recordings, September 1960 yesterday on my Planer 8. Thrilling!

Whay likes this.