Tis the season for horror movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ShawnMcCann, Sep 24, 2021.

1. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

I watched Jennifer's Body for the second time a few days ago--not in anticipation of Halloween but because it was on Amazon Prime and I hadn't seen it for a while. Mark Kermode is right; it's a better than average horror flick.

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  2. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Jennifer’s Body will be available on the Criterion Channel starting on October 1st, which makes me wonder if a Criterion blu-ray (or 4K) is in the works.

vconsumer likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

AMC and AMC+ don't have rights. SYFY does.

jason88cubs likes this.
  4. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

The Bad Seed (1956):

[​IMG]

Saw this classic psychological horror flick for the first time last night, and while more than a bit campy in places, it definitely left a chilling vibe. I can certainly see why folks like John Waters consider it a favorite, and I especially appreciated the rather ambiguous ending, which I was not expecting (and won't give away for those who haven't seen it). All the players here I thought were superb in their roles, particularly Henry Jones as Leroy, whose character I could easily imagine being reprised by either Billy Bob Thornton or even Stephen King if this film were ever properly remade (I do not rate the similarly titled/themed TV movie attempts).
    Disturbing, to say the least, so my advice is enter at your own risk! :-popcorn:

5. Like 'The Bad Seed' but the acting ( especially by the mother) is really stage-y in parts.

6. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

How about bringing back the Amicus ones? Svengoolie showed "The Beast Must Die" a few weeks ago so it must be doable, plus they wouldn't have any nudity to censor...:mudscrying:

7. geetar_await

geetar_await This space for rent.

i'll be watching all the low budget spooky films on streaming. really baaad acting lol but fun to watch.

8. geetar_await

geetar_await This space for rent.

Have never seen any of the dawn/day of the deads, will have to this year.

9. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

watched Poltergeist (1982) yesterday on AMC, good movie.

10. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

I watched 'Mandy' yesterday.

[​IMG]

Seems people either loved it or hated it. I fall in the 'hated it' camp. "Stunning" (note the sarcasm please) visuals don't make a movie good. The story is nonsensical, and the slow pacing of the movie becomes tedious after just a short while.

Gore for gore's sake is mostly what this movie offers. Nic Cage's 'acting' is somnabulistic and whatever acting he does eventually devolves into not much more than wild-eyed staring and grunts.

The movie is a mess of cosmological mysticism, demonology, cults, drugs, sex, and violence. There's barely a plot. It's a revenge film, without any of the satisfaction that a good revenge film offers.

Those are 2 hours wasted.

11. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

I only saw the remake/tv movie in the 1980s. All I remember is David Carradine was in it.

12. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Those are all currently free on Peacock.

13. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Did not like it either.

Cage in Color Out Of Space - now that's 2 hours well spent.

14. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

The Unholy (2021) - ok movie, worth a watch once