' Titanic ' or ' ' A Night To Remember '--Which Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 4, 2020.

1. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

haven't seen A Night..., but did see Titanic, so I would have to go with that one. preety awesome cinematic presentation.

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

A Night to Remember is very easy to find online for viewing. Highly recommended.

3. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

If I still had a working LaserDisc player I could watch my copy of A Night To Remember. It's been a while.

I do have a working DVD player, and recently pulled out my Titanic DVD, but haven't found the time to watch it... that, too, has been a while...

I like 'em both, but it's hard to really compare them, in an apples-to-apples kind of way.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

It's on YouTube.

5. geetar_await

i'll catch it tonight.

6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I've never seen A Night To Remember and only saw Titanic when it was in theaters. The fact that I haven't felt the need to watch it again in 20 plus years tells me I'd probably vote ANTR. It's not that I think Titanic is a bad movie, I just can't get past DiCaprio's mis-casting.

Nomadicarchivist likes this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

[​IMG]
    Leo & Kate 1/18/1998 Golden Globe Awards. Yeah I'm a fanboy but I like looking back at things like this. Again as I said before I like ANTR 1958, I grew up with that version of Titanic as well as the 1953 Barbara Stanwyck version.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Billy_Sunday likes this.
  8. geetar_await

saw "a night to remember" and had to change my vote from titanic to that one. really enjoyed it.

9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Given that for many decades, until Robert Ballard's expedition discovered the remains of the Titanic, everything from the night of its sinking remained a mystery.

Enter Cameron, who had a passionate interest in the Titanic, as well as film making and wanted to retell its story to modern audiences.

Night to Remember was based on a well researched book account if that time. That story was told completely within the time frame of the sinking.

To make a new movie and a financially successful one, there would have to be a new and fresh approach to the account of the sinking.

Here is a detailed account of the Titanic's voyage and sinking, as told by surviving Officer Lightoller in a 1936 BBC interview.

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will be airing A Night to Remember on Sept 10, check your listings.

11. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

AMEN. I told my son the only way I can enjoy it is watching him get washed away in the end

12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

A Night to Remember, but Titanic (1953) is OK, too, though it's a bit more of a "soap opera."

13. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

Dicaprio looks like he gained weight in that photo. He was skinnier in Titanic. Too much partying celebrating I think :)

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  14. Billy_Sunday

Nice to hear the account in Lightoller's own words and voice.

15. Billy_Sunday

I actually watched Titanic last night for the first time in at least 10 years. It had been a while. He was definitely a little thinner in the film, which makes sense, as his character was basically a vagabond living on the streets.

16. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Beyond the Poseidon Adventure

[​IMG]

17. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

I agree, it's the better film of the two, and you can specific shots that Cameron lifted to put in his film. "Titanic" is just too long, it's 3 hours and 15 minutes I will never get back!

Derek

18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

'A Night To Remember'. 'Titanic' is too much of a soap opera cluttered with bad acting and direction. It doesn't get interesting until the ship hits the iceberg. The movie then becomes compelling to watch.

19. Flying Kiwi

Flying Kiwi Member

[​IMG]
    Except.... there was those back then who said that the Titanic broke in two, Jack Thayer even drawing a eye witnessed time stamped record of it doing so..
    Ljghtoller initially stated that it did, but later strangely changed his story

ANTR "sinks" a whole liner, so incorrect.
    The crap 1980 movie "Raise the Titanic" raises a complete ship.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_nOTdqVGnOTk/TCrCTm53bjI/AAAAAAAAAhs/JWEo1UvP_qo/s1600/Thayer+Sketch.jpg

20. Djmover

Djmover Forum Resident

Titanic easily
    Am not a fan of really old movies except for say Robin Hood .

MichaelH likes this.
  21. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I've tried to watch Titanic a few times but never managed it. Doesn't hold my attention. If they chopped 45 minutes of fluff out it might work better.

I do remember watching ANTR about 20 years ago one night and found it a very tense and poignant film. It did hold my attention.

22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It was documented by eyewitness testimony in the congressional hearings that the Titanic broke in two. Though this was somehow disregarded.

My assumption with Lightoller, being the senior surviving officer was that it was thought that if the White Star Line had ships that broke in half for no apparent reason, people would no longer travel on them.

Billy_Sunday and Curveboy like this.
  23. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

No contest. A night to remember is way better. The original titanic with the incomparable Clifton Webb is also far superior to the remake.

There's so much more to making a good film than glitz and effects.

Curveboy likes this.
  24. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Then again if he'd been heavier in titanic he could have jumped in and made a very good lifeboat.

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Night to Remember, never saw Titanic

Wife's best friend went through a phase where she saw the film multiple times and bought the record, cuz she broke up with her bf. She carried her cross around, sighing that her heart would go on. After that, wife vowed never to see the movie either.

SandAndGlass likes this.