' Titanic ' or ' ' A Night To Remember '--Which Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Definitely “A Night to Remember” - it’s factual and based on Walter Lord’s bestseller. I own the Criterion Collection Blu-Ray. I have a lot of problems with “Titanic,” beginning with its portrayal of Officer William Murdoch. According to the film, Murdoch did a crappy job loading passengers onto lifeboats, took bribes, shot a passenger, then killed himself when the ship sank. In fact, Murdoch’s station loaded more passengers on life boats than any other station, and Officer Lightoller wrote that Murdoch was trying to free a collapsible lifeboat when the ship went down.

(I used to be a bit of an Ocean Liner buff, including the Titantic, & had a number of books about it in my collection.)

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Titanic does go to great lengths to be accurate in its representation of actual events.

But... that is only to a point!

Titanic also knowingly misrepresented many things that were factually known. It did this in typical Hollywood movie studio fashion. There were plenty of the good guys vs. the bad guys in the movie.

It went over the top to portray and magnify events in a manner to suggest incompetence on the part of Titanic's crew. When actually, these were only ordinary events that would typically take place on most any ocean going liner.

Despite tremendous advances in technology that appeared on the scene within a relatively short period of time, there were still many customs in place that had not changed for many decades.

Life and social structure was completely different back in 1912. It is really difficult to convey that to modern audiences (which are a problem with many films). People get very judgemental with social customs from earlier periods.

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Is this going to be a real short engagement or will it be around for a few weeks?

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

All it says is "Titanic returns to the big screen in 4K 3D for a limited time on February 10."

6. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

I usually like Barbara Stanwyck movies but I find Titanic kinda boring. The remake does have better special effects, but just as boring. aNtR for the win.

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

If I recall from algebra, 4K(3D) = 12KD

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

9. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I've always been fascinated by the Titanic & through the years I've collected these: Titanic (1943) / Titanic (1953) / A Night To remember (1958)
    / Titanic (1997) / Titanic (2016) / Raise The Titanic (1980) The Titanic (Documentary) (1996) / Ghosts Of The Abyss (2003). Any suggestions
    for more titles?
    [​IMG]

Billy_Sunday, Hadean75 and 64FALCON like this.
  10. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

@BILLONEEG: There is the 1979 movie S.O.S. TITANIC you could pick up on disc from Kino-Lorber. There's 2 versions of it on the disc, I believe. One version is a made-for-TV version of the movie and the other is a theatrical release (for overseas viewers, I think). → Kinda like SALEM'S LOT had an overseas theatrical release to go with the U.S. full-length television movie.

Billy_Sunday and Curveboy like this.
  11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Titanic (1996 miniseries) - Wikipedia

[​IMG]

Titanic: Blood and Steel - Wikipedia

[​IMG]

12. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Mal likes this.
  13. Psychedelic Good Trip

14. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Night to Remember for me, though I enjoy both as the Cameron film was genuinely eye-opening technologically at the time. Still looks good now, even given the early days of that level of effects in the movies.

The scene to remember however for me out of both films doesn't feature any actors at all, but a drinks trolley standing in an otherwise empty dining room and slowly begins to move as the ship starts to list. It's a very powerful scene.

15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I should have known that the Blu-ray of the 1996 miniseries would be cropped for 16:9 - my recommendation would be to seek out one of the 2-Disc DVD editions with the original 4:3 presentation.

This is the one I'd recommend (I settled on it after being appalled at the picture quality on the 1 Disc version I had first):

Schröder Media
    CV1040K

https://www.amazon.de/Titanic-2-DVDs-Tim-Curry/dp/B000MV8HCK

16. Psychedelic Good Trip

Tv spot for 25th anniversary re-release.

17. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I have not seen A Night To Rememer. This is probably a hot take but I hate Titanic because of the fact that Cameron took a tragedy where people died and shoved a romance into it. I just find the entire thing tacky. I also have a problem with Saving Private Ryan for the same reason. The first part of the film shows the horror the men went through on the beach and then it turns into a sill action flick.

Curveboy likes this.
  18. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Whilst Titanic is a very good film, I really wish there was a historically accurate cut without the unnecessary schmaltz and Pride-And-Prejudice "I love a ruffian I can't have" cliches.

19. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

TCM is screening it tonight. It's actually showing at 3:00am Hawaii time (Wednesday) so probably what, 9:0opm east coast or some such.

edit: I may be wrong about the east coast time. More like 9:0o am Wed.?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Billy_Sunday likes this.
  20. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

All the more reason you should watch ' A Night To Remember'.
    There is no romance subplot or a jealous fiance firing off a gun or Jack and Rose yelling out each other's name.
    The ship collided with the iceberg early on and the movie deals with the actual tragedy which unfolded.

64FALCON and Michael like this.
  21. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

TCM 8:15 AM Eastern Standard Time, Wednesday, February 1.

22. chumlie1

chumlie1 Forum Resident

A Night to Remember by a wide margin.

23. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

If you're talking about with David McCallum.. I'm in and bring in the popcorns! :-popcorn:

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...that's what I'm talking about. : ) will do!

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Triangle Of Sadness