To people who collect multiple copies of the same album..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

...like myself. How often do you pull out the "extra" copies as opposed to to the usual "go to" of the particular album...and why? Do you get the urge to see the label variation spinning on your turntable or do you want to revisit the variance in sound quality or what...? Or do you collect the multiple copies simply to have and not play....?.

2. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

When I play one I play em' all. Soon enough the best rises to the top and I give the extras away.

ronm, Gaslight, hi_watt and 4 others like this.
  3. Jmetamatic

Jmetamatic This is the end of our oxygen supply.

Can't see the labels.. in my CD player.

4. David Stilesson

David Stilesson Forum Resident

Precisely why I purchased 27 iterations of MaccaIII; give it a year and I'll be down to 1 or 2.

klockwerk and DK Pete like this.
  5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I don't so much collect as I do accumulate. I have four copies of Yessongs, three on LP.

I have a favorite CD version and LP version, however. And I just play those depending on the situation.

6. Sa likes this and

Sa likes this and Forum Resident

There are a small number of albums where I can't decide if I like the original or the remaster better; usually genres/from the era of analog recording and mastering, which later had a digital remaster (talking about vinyl of course)

The White Album is the best example, or Black Sabbath self titled.

Can't for the life of me choose one over the other. So I choose different ones at different times.

7. DK Pete

Hmmm...that's where we differ..unless one of them is extremely, uselessly bad (like those red/orange Parlophone 60's Beatle albums), I hold on to all of them.

Sa likes this and likes this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Holy hell, where do you people keep all this crap?

ChoonyFish, Tim 2, thepigdog and 18 others like this.
  9. DK Pete

TWENTY SEVEN.??..I just bought one of the standard CD versions and have yet to get through all of it.

10. DK Pete

LOL...for me, it's all quite neat and systemic in my well kept Lp and CD cabinets. the only bad thing is going into a used record store and coming across an interesting pressing of an album but not fully remembering if , among the 20 versions you already have, if you have it or not.

11. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

27 copies of maccaIII lol talk about torture

Use_Your_Koala, Tim 2, Zack and 18 others like this.
  12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

:laugh:
    Luckily for me I haven't run into any Rio's lately :hide:
    [​IMG]

Kristofa, Thorpy, garrincha and 25 others like this.
  13. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

I only got one LP in more copies than one. I usually vary depending on what I want to listen to on the LP. One has a bad pop on the first track on side A, but side B is wonders. The other one has a cleaner side A. My third one is a nearly unplayed test pressing, which sound heaven but I fear ruining (that is, it won't be so heavenly if I play it too often).

Echo and DK Pete like this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Not the organization, just the actual space. (Granted, I've lived in 5 cities and at least 15 different addresses since I turned 19 about 20 years ago, so just thinking about this gives me so much anxiety)

DK Pete likes this.
  15. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I don't have that many albums where I own multiple copies, but those that I do, I sometimes play a different copy for each side. This is especially fun with the White Album and Blonde on Blonde. The pressing/mixing/mastering differences are sometimes striking.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

did it too many times when I was a vinyl hound fanatic! not much with my CD collecting...

DK Pete likes this.
  17. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

If I have multiple copies, it's not to do with mastering as much as reissues with different bonus tracks every time. Fortunately I'm through being fleeced on that score. Downloads of the new tracks are the way to go for me.

JeffMo, Jimmy Agates and DK Pete like this.
  18. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

You just gotta have the promos from every country, the regular releases from every country, spares to keep for collecting autographs, the sealed backups of everything you buy. Cassettes, reel 2 reels, 8 tracks, singles, EPs, box sets, remasters, furtively obtained 15 ips copies of master tapes, stems from when your favorite multi-tracks were digitized................

astro70, NunoBento and DK Pete like this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I’m not a completist. Sometime you buy for perhaps better sonics, or some visual fetish thing .. different cover, Record Logo. But to answer your question... never( apart from listening once .. when purchased). :)

hi_watt and DK Pete like this.
  20. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Black triangle. Nice!

21. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I'm likely to grab any of them to listen to. If I've just obtained it, I'll listen to that copy.

22. RunningWithScissors

RunningWithScissors Forum Resident

Different masterings, pressings, etc. I'm already this far down the rabbit hole, may as well keep digging. :shrug:

Vintage1976, c-eling and DK Pete like this.
  23. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I just can't listen to the same classic album all the way through more than once in one sitting, This makes it hard to discern over multiple copies, i.e. "Exile On Main St" (3 copies), "Live At Leeds" (3 copies), "Who's Next" (2 copies), "White Album" (4 copies), what to keep and what to part with. So, they stay on the shelf. :sigh:

ODShowtime likes this.
  24. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I try to find the best copy and get rid of the lesser one. Problem solved.

25. I can't do it anymore. If I do it, it's to determine which pressing is superior. When I find the one that doesn't rise to the challenge, I spank it and send it to bed early with no cookies and chamomille.

raveoned, Joti Cover, c-eling and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.