To Soundsmith or Not to Soundsmith...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bill Why Man, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Why Man

Bill Why Man Forum Resident Thread Starter

Fellow Audiophiles,

I’ve been eying the Soundsmith Otello cartridge for some time now. I’ve been in touch with their staff regarding the Otello’s compatibility with my traditionally-armed Thorens-160. Two things have held me back: the price and having never heard one. There are recent sales bringing it down to $300, and that’s about the same as a replacement for my current cartridge, the Denon DL-110.
    Now my curiosity is piqued!

• Does anyone have experiences using the Otello with a Thorens-160?
    • Has anyone ever compared the Otello to the Denon-110? Is the Otello a noticeable step up in sound, or is it just a lateral movement? The Denon is a strong tracker with a very nice, warm sound. I appreciate the solid mid-range.
    • What kind of sound does the Otello generally produce for those who have used it?
    • How does Soundsmith’s low-end High Output Fixed Coil compare with Denon’s low-end High Output Moving Coil?

It will be playing on a traditional Thorens TD-160—>McIntosh MA5100 pre-amp/amp—>Klipsch KG4’s or Schiit Valhalla 2—>Sennheiser HD600’s.

Any and all constructive comments are highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Gumboo likes this.
  2. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

I can only speak to the Otello and my experience with it.

When I bought my turntable, the "best" cartridge available at the store was an Otello. Had heard Soundsmith makes a good product so I went with. I have been pleasantly surprised with the sound. The detail is very good, but not off the charts, which you would expect at this price point. The strength, to me, is in the mid-range. The lows are good, but I think something is lacking. The highs, such as when cymbals are lightly played sound a bit muffled.

However, I am pleased with the overall sound from the Otello. So much so, I will consider moving up the Soundsmith chain when it's time to switch this one out. As an extra bonus, when a stylus is on its last breath, you can send it back to Soundsmith for a rebuild. For about 20% of the original cost. (Which I will probably do with the Otello when it dies, to keep as a spare/backup.)

Disclaimer: FWIW, YMMV. :righton:

Bill Why Man and macster like this.
  3. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I recently switched from a Denon 103 (with a high end Soundsmith retip) to a Soundsmith Zephyr mkIII. A different move than you are considering, but perhaps a similar move in brand sound philosophy.

The Soundsmith has far better channel separation, which results in much better sound staging and more precise imaging. The dynamic range is increased in both directions, but the upper end, in particular, is far more sophisticated IMO. Tracking is quite a bit better too, which surprised me a bit since my retipped Denon should have been very similar in that department. The only place where the Denon was superior in my setup was with background noise, because the Denon is low output and I used a step up transformer with it. The Soundsmith is high output, so I removed the SUT which results in having to use more gain from my amp. Still pretty quiet though, and well worth the gains in other areas.

Bill Why Man and ThorensSme like this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

Can't speak for the Otello but had a Carmen and felt it was quite uninspiring. I just couldn't get that cart to sing, especially on my TD-166. I suspect the Otello would be a lateral move from the DL-110.

patient_ot and Bill Why Man like this.
  5. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Also, wanted to add, detail is much better on the Zephyr mkIII. I also have a Dynavector 20x2L, which was another cartridge I love (but it is better suited to a lower mass arm than I have now). I would say the 20x2L is a little bit more refined overall than the Zephyr, but the Zephyr provides more texture, detail, and a “live” sort of energy that the Dynavector does not quite match.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  6. Bill Why Man

Mo,

I like your assessment of the mid-range. With highs and lows at this price point, I guess I can’t perfection. That you’re going to continue the Soundsmith line sits well with me, The inexpensive re-tip makes this a more appealing option.

Thanks!

Bill

7. Bill Why Man

Ian,

You’ve commented on some of my previous missives with thoughtfulness. I take your opinions seriously. Although you’re certainly a step or two past me in the game, you likely have a valid assertion that the Soundsmith-Denon comparison is relatable in more than one level of audio quality. This holds my confidence that the Otello is a solid (and possibly superior) tracker that will play an even stronger soundstaging. If I punch the ticket on this, you’ll be the primary factor.

Thanks,

Bill

McLover and IanL like this.
  8. Bill Why Man

Thanks for the comments. The Carmen is quite an expensive cartridge. It’s quite possible that it plays far past the capabilities of a Thorens TD-166. Sometimes, a cartridge that’s too demanding on a system will not sound good on a limited turntable or arm. This could be the problem here—although I’ll take into consideration that there can be more than this. Or perhaps it simply is a lateral move.

Thanks,

Bill

9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Well, my TD-166 has evolved to be more similar to a 160 Super than a standard 66, but still, the Carmen was hardly out of its league. I've also ran the Carmen on my Acoustic Signature, even there, it was outclassed by a Shure 97xe w/Jico SAS stylus.

bever70, Benzion and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

FWIW, Elusive Disc is having a great Black Friday sale on SoundSmith Cartridges at a very good discount.

-Specials

11. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

WOW! Those are some awesome deals.

Bill Why Man and mreeter like this.
  12. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I'm a Soundsmith fan. I believe you truly get more value for your money. These cartridges are crafted by an artisan who understands their importance.

F1nut, Jrr and Bill Why Man like this.
  13. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

BTW, anyone looking for a low cost MC phono preamp with trransformers and adjustable loading, there's a Soundsmith MCP2 right now for $450 at Soundsmith MCP2 Moving Coil Phono Preamp with Variable Loading , retail new for around $1000 or so, this the older model, I think new one is MkII. Just a fyi, no affiliation.

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I am working on a review of the Paua II. It's a terrific cartridge like many of the more affordable ones. On the top of the range, the Hyperion is one of the best carts I have heard. Peter is a nice guy, builds great stuff, makes after-sale service affordable for the re-tip, and runs a high quality charity as well. Just a great company all around.

Cliff, F1nut, Try1256 and 4 others like this.
  15. Bill Why Man

Wow! I don’t know if that says more about the deficiencies of the Carmen, or the exceptional quality of the Shure/Jico.

16. Bill Why Man

This has been what’s tempting me. I think Soundsmith is unloading their older models, as most of them seem to be getting a new look/build. It’s on their website.

17. Helom

Helom Forum member

Both

patient_ot likes this.
  18. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I don't think you'll be dissatisfied with any of the Soundsmith carts. Go to their website and take a look at their rebuild costs (something to really consider).

Bill Why Man likes this.
  19. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Music Direct is running a sale on them as well.

Edit: the link didn't work, you'll have to go to their site.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  20. Bill Why Man

I’ve seen their rebuild costs. It is an incredible deal and quite enticing.

21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

If I wasn't completely happy with my cartridge I would be all over these deals- most likely for the MIMC star.
    I had a Dynavector cartridge re-done by Soundsmith with a new saphire cantilever and new stylus and it sounded much better than the original.
    However the SS carts do tend to sound somewhat rich compared to the highly neutral sound I was after to balance out the rest of my system. Consider system synergy when contemplating a purchase.

22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

This.

23. Bill Why Man

I have an older system that I would describe as playing toward that rich sound. With my cart riding a Thorens 160 into a McIntosh MA5100 powering Klipsch KG4’s, it’s probably what I’m looking for, although I guess there is the danger of too much of that sound. Hmm... Or maybe not...

24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Do you like the balance of the way your digital sources sound or would you prefer them to sound more lush and rich?
    For me my system enables my digital sources to sound rich. Rich sounding vinyl was too much of a good thing so I sought a more detail oriented cartridge yet still "vinyl smooth".
    Hit it out of the park with the pick of an Ortofon Cadenza blue.

Bill Why Man and mreeter like this.
  25. Bill Why Man

I bet that cartridge is awesome! I’m sure it plays as good as it looks. It’s a bit out of my league at the moment.

I do like my digital end (primarily TV via Schiit Modi), but it’s not perfect. In that respect, maybe this is a nice worth move worth making.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.