To Soundsmith or Not to Soundsmith...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bill Why Man, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I do indeed. Tried it with and without. Currently using the device with no lower donuts, just the weight of the bar and top donut holding the fishing line in place. Distortion isn't the issue. It's a very good tracker. It's the dullness at the very high treble extremes that bothers me.

2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Don't use the VPI anti skate with Soundsmith carts. Set it as Soundsmith recommends.

HiFi Guy and Sedwards like this.
  3. Try1256

Try1256 Forum Resident

I found that getting the anti skate set right affected every aspect of how my Aida sounded. Sound stage, frequency extension, focus all got better. That being said, low VTA can cause highs to roll off as well.

Sedwards and F1nut like this.
  4. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

I can't say with certainty it was just the antiskate with my Paua because, as I explained above, I took the cartridge into Soundsmith and Peter made a slight adjustment in the cantilever angle before I reset the antiskate, but when did get it back and set the antiskate according to Soundsmith's instructions and not VPI's, the cartridge sounded like a whole different animal. I have an ART9 here and am finally thinking of selling it as I am extremely happy with the Paua now.

IanL likes this.
  5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

My setup guy and I don't use the anti-skate with the Paua. The 3D arm did not need any antiskate correction.

6. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

This doesn't make sense to me as Peter clearly states that anti skate is necessary, although at a lower degree that many believe.

Tullman likes this.
  7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I use Mike Burns, a very well regarded setup pro. He tested the antiskate using a test record. It just wasn't needed at all.

Also, I spoke about this with Harry Weisfeld in Munich and he said that often antiskate is not needed.

So I think it's more of a case by case basis, that depends on specific gear.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  8. Try1256

Try1256 Forum Resident

Lee,
    According to Peter Lederman, test records don’t tell the whole story. Try using his method to set anti skate to the level he recommends and see if you don’t hear an improvement. I know I did. BTW, Mr. Lederman is not at all shy about expressing his disagreement with Mr. Weisfeld regarding anti skate.

patient_ot and F1nut like this.
  9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Peter Lederman spoke directly to my setup guy when installing my Hyperion. Peter insisted on using the VPI anti-skate device.

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Recently I have been seeing a few threads here and elsewhere complaining about SS carts having dull top end response. I was curious if anyone has ever bothered to test these cartridges and came across this, an old Miller Audio Research test done of the now discontinued Boheme model. I do not know if all SS carts are voiced this way, but this graph would suggest that they need careful loading for a flat response or are intentionally voiced to sound "warm".

[​IMG]

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I know Peter Lederman tests his cartridges. I would start by asking him. I am running a Hyperion through my CAT Renaissance Black Path phono preamp without any loading and it sounds sublime with plenty of top end air.

F1nut likes this.
  12. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Anti-skate, I have a hard time believing because I've never found that the sweet spot added more high end extension. Not once. VTA, absolutely but only to a degree (pun intended). My tonearm is raked forward probably 2 degrees to my untrained eye. Things sound great, like I said, but this cart has the highs rolled off. Plain and simple. It drives me crazy when a manufacturer lists specs and the MIMC Star claims up to 20kHz with a deviance no greater than 1dB. I would say it's more like ~6-8dBs down at 20kHz though. It's a smooth -3dB/octave with pink noise up until about 15kHz, then it starts dropping sharply. Could it be the Analogue Productions test record? Probably not as it confirms what I'm hearing in my music. Ride cymbals are dull instead of having a nice, ringing ping sound to them. I will keep toying with it because it's what I do. Not going to give up on it yet. I received my Audio Sensibility Statement Silver ICs, so I'm letting those run in before listening super critically.

13. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

No offense, but if you're over the age of 40 you're not likely to hear much above 15kHz regardless.

Big Blue likes this.
  14. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

None taken. But I can. I'm also nearly legally blind due to a genetic eye disease. So my ears might be more attuned than the average person at my age (47).

15. Try1256

Try1256 Forum Resident

I admit, the change I heard came as a complete surprise. Anti skate is sometimes an overlooked adjustment that doesn't get much respect. It didn't sound bad before, but when I hit the right spot it was obvious. Everything opened up and came into focus. Bass was cleaner and tighter, highs were crisp and airy, soundstage was wide and deep. One of those "Holy Cow" moments. BTW, I use an Audio Sensibility Impact phono cable. It's awesome, especially at the price. I suspect you will be quite pleased with the Statement.

Big Blue likes this.
  16. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

To confound things a little more (and in complete violation of the one-thing-at-a-time audio tweak rule) at the same time Peter adjusted my cantilever angle on my Paua and I corrected the antiskate according to his instructions, I also swapped out my Morrow PH6's for a set of Statement Silvers I just purchased. Again, I'm finding the cartridge to be wonderful on both ends. I was worried the silvers would be too shrill, but am finding very detailed, sparkling highs with no fatigue. Here's hoping the Statement Silvers do the same for you!

Cliff and Big Blue like this.
  17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m not even 40, and I topped out around 12kHz when I ran a CBS test record the other day... so that’s a fun thing to find out...

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I wouldn't put too much stock in that. You can't test your hearing accurately listening to the output of a test LP over speakers with a bunch of background noise going on. Hearing tests ideally need to be done by an audiologist in a very quiet environment on headphones. There are online tests you can try, but I would caution that turning up the volume to hear the highest frequencies can be dangerous to your hearing.

Big Blue likes this.
  19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

No, I’m not considering it any kind of scientific test of my hearing, just what I noticed in the course of testing my system (and on a YouTube frequency sweep that includes smaller increments I can hear higher than 12kHz, though certainly nowhere near 20kHz). It was just surprising because I used to hear higher than average frequencies (“ultrasonic” dog collars, for example, that other people didn’t hear). I’m certain I have done some damage beyond normal aging, so it probably shouldn’t be a surprise.

I would be curious to see independent testing of current Soundsmith carts’ frequency response. The concept of the design the way Lederman explains it makes sense to me, but the cost of entry is pretty high (though the rebuild cost seems to eventually make them a pretty good deal over time). Some more data points before I seriously consider jumping in would be nice (it’s going to be quite a while until I can possibly do so, anyway).

patient_ot likes this.
  20. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I actually upgraded from the Impacts. I had those for a few years and really have/had no complaints.
    Either I'm changing as I age or somehow, my system is becoming more laid-back (probably a little of both). I just want more excitement (higher frequency energy) out of my TT setup. Nothing beats high-hat sizzle (think Stuart Copeland) and the ping from a ride cymbal. Right now, they're just a bit dull compared to other MC carts I've owned. But I'll keep at it.

21. Garthb

Garthb Forum Resident

Question: I have a vintage Denon TT (62dp) with a re-tipped Denon 103r (from Soundsmith), Mcintosh preamp (MX110z), MC240 power amp. Problems for me: I don't know how to adjust my own turntable, I don't know if my stock tonearm is worthy of the Soundsmith Mimic Star, and not sure if the Soundsmith cart works with the phono preamp in the MX110z. How do I figure that stuff out? I don't want to just shoot in the dark and hope for upgrades! I've learned the hard way, that costs more money in the long run and I feel bad...

22. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

From what I can see your pre-amp/tuner is set up for MM carts and the MIMC Star is, as the initials indicate, a moving iron/moving coil, so you would need a separate phono pre to use that cart.

Give Soundsmith a call, they'll help you out.

Garthb likes this.
  23. Garthb

Garthb Forum Resident

Yes, thanks, I have a 1:10 SUT that Peter sent me an article that seems to fit the MIMC Star, but other than that, I'm guessing my tonearm is the weak link in the chain...

24. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

What step up are you using? Do you have the link to the article that Peter sent you?

25. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

I have been using a Soundsmith Sotto Voce cartridge for a few years now, and nothing I have owned in the past sounds as good!!! My TT is a Redpoint Model D with a Triplanar VII U2 arm. Once you nail the setup the Soundsmith cartridge will sing and show all it's glory!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.