To TV Or Not To TV: The Effect On The Sound Is The Question.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Aug 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I am thinking about getting a 16 x 9 Aspect ratio Rear projection TV. The problem that I am facing is that it will have to be positioned on the same wall as, and flanked by, my corner horn speakers. The problem that I face is the potential reflection of sound off of the TV surfaces. At least I'm almost in a 'near field' listening position so first arrival soundwaves would predominate.

The perfect solution to the above would be a wall mounted plasma screen but at the cost of approximately $7000 CDN for a 32" TV it is a lot more than I am willing to spend.

My room size would best be served by something in the neighbourhood of about a 50" 16 x 9 screen and the smallest set would be about 50" W x 50" H x 24" D.

Do any of you have a similar set up with regards to TV placement? If you do, what effect do you think it has on things like soundstaging? Also, what if anything have you done to cope with the situation?

Any input on this subject would be welcome.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Have you visited Audio Excellence on Bayview Ave, just above Hwy. 7? They have a set up with a projection screen TV and may have some ideas...

I always thought a large lump in the middle would $#$@# up the soundstage. Never tried it though.

I think someone here (on this board) had this problem and tried the blanket solution. It helped a bit...

3. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Hi Khorn

I had exactly the set-up you describe - it was a Sony 50 inch 16x9 TV ( a KLV 50W2) - no real way around the big obstruction between the speakers situation but if you can pull the speakers as far forward as possible that certainly helps as does experimenting with toe-in. I moved the TV up to a bedroom in the end (and as chance has it sold it yesterday :) ) and jumped for a plasma (though I long for a front projector for that true cinema effect).

All the best - Andrew

4. Khorn

Problem is that with corner horns you would have to pull the corners out also, might be a bit difficult :D

As far as toe-in this is also pre-determined by the corner angle. I my particular case the all but the inner front edges of the speakers would be further out than the TV and firing directly at the listening position. The direct radiant pattern coverage of the mid and high horns would no doubt provide a solid image its just the secondary reflections in the lower mid that I'm a bit concerned about.

In my last home I had a rather large dedicated sound room with an absolutely HUMONGOUS rp tv that must have been about 3 ft deep in its cabinet. It sat on a platform and was also placed between the speakers
    and the sound was compromised far, far more than it will be in the present situation as the speakers were actually behind the front edge of the tv. In my present set up the tv will be far narrower in depth so I don't anticipate the problem anywhere near the same degree as previously.

As far as you're desire for a projection TV I have friends and family with them and, IMHO unless you will be willing to spend 20K + I would look for another alternative which you obviously already have. The size doesn't make up for picture quality such as colour saturation and sharpness that is far superior on the latest RP and plasma sets. This is from a guy who finds that unless a commercial theatre is projecting 70mm (they blow up the image too much for 35mm and the picture is not sharp enough) tends to say "forget it". I have 'cause none of them are!

In my case only other practical solution would be to buy a new direct view 32"- 36" Sony XBR for the bedroom and use that as our primary TV venue. Separating audio and video has both it advantages and disadvantages but I'll probably settle for the downstairs compromise as it offers far more viewing oppertunities.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yep, ultimately it is better to separate tv and stereo and I understand how finances come into play here. At least my Thiels like to be well out into the room. I have my tv behind the speakers. It isn't ideal either. Too bad we have to make so many compromises.

6. Khorn

Which plasma did you get and did you give any consideration at all to the Sony KV40XBR700?

7. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I plumped for the Panasonic TH42PW4D - based on very good contrast ratio and the fact it can accept a DVI input. I am afraid that Sony model is not available in the UK - you are rather spoiled for choice over there in comparison and your prices are probably around half of what we have to pay over here for the large direct view TVs. The driving force was really getting rid of a big box - so direct view TVs were not really in with a shout.

All the best - Andrew

8. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Forum Resident

I have no direct knowledge about anyo fthis, but I read in another forum where someone put a heavy blanket over the tv for music listening.

Hey, you DID say that ANY input would be welcome.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Another music/HT dilemma is that for HT, it frequently helps to have your front speakers close to the sides of the screen. This helps tremendously with films employing directional dialog (e.g. Criterion Spartacus DVD), and keeps panning effects anchored to the images.

Also, if you use a center channel that is not full range, mono soundtracks will often sound better through your fronts, but the further away from the TV they are, the odder this will sound.

For music, this is not necessarily the best set-up, and for situations where moving your speakers around is impractical such as the one above, it presents a bit of a problem.

Regards,

10. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I live in an apartment and I have my speakers several feet away and a foot or so in front of my 32" Panasonic (and heavy-ass stand). I used to drive myself nuts about compromising 2-ch listening and HT then I just reached the point of screw-it. I think my set-up does well for both and I can live with the compromises (you only live once)...

Todd

11. Khorn

Good attitude, probably the best way to go about it. Sometimes I think we look for problems just so we can agonize over them. For example, I was worried about the sound before I moved in to my new place (huge speakers, relatively small space) but now I find it's better than ever.

12. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

IMHO the ideal solution would be to move the TV to another room, and for home theater purposes, use a projector with a remotely controlled ceiling-mounted screen that would pull up and down.

Like most ideal solutions, it is very expensive, and you would still have a center speaker between the front pair, which might conceivably have an impact on the stereo sound.

13. Khorn

I'm not a fan of "Home Theater" as such. I find that surround sound in a small space coupled with a small (anything under 20' to 30' and covering the whole front of the viewing area) to be unnatural and gimmicky. (don't get upset folks, the preceding is only my personal opinion). I find that for my viewing purposes two good front speakers suffice, especially ones like mine that are placed in the corner positions on the viewing wall. I find that in such a set up there is a really solid 'phantom center image' as well as effects that travel half way up the side walls when they are present.
    No doubt, a true "Home Theater" setup as you describe above is ideal for the purpose but it's just not a priority in my case.

14. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

I think Andrew made a great move in replacing a rear projection big screen TV with a plasma flat panel one. It opens up so much space in the room.

As far as the true cinema effect goes, you need have a completely dark room. Otherwise, it is impossible to reproduce black on a white screen. In the perfect world, I would have a front projection system for movies and a plasma for other programs. But I left my wallet in the perfect world so I'm stuck with a big box, for now. :sigh:

15. Todd Fredericks

I agree, Paul. In a perfect world we would have all these set-up things perfect. I think I'm getting better at understanding what I can achieve and cant't and then accepting it, instead of driving myself nutz!!! I say, just get the best set-up you can get with your room and circumstances and be happy. By taking those steps to think it through and execute a few ideas, you will be a few miles ahead (I think I am by now). Remember, most people just put one speaker on a shelf and the other by the window. A "soundstage" is only something used for creating movies (and some wouldn't even know that)...

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You are right Todd. I just do the best with what I have and enjoy it. I don't agonize over it. Little be little I can improve things.

17. Todd Fredericks

Ya, that's all we can really do (I think). Life is too short to go mad over something that's supposed to increase pleasure. I sometimes forget that...

Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.