To universal player or not to universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, May 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

'fraid you're wrong there. Best get up to speed on figuring that one out round these parts...

I've little time for something that doesn't cut it, so my Cambridge 752BD wouldn't be into its 6th year on my rack and still in regular use if it was "just okay". And I doubt the Oppo guys would say much different for their universal players either.

Linger63 and Blair G. like this.
  2. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

So many choices....new,used,refurbished!I just can’t decide,plenty of reading and comparing all the many brands,models,features,prices,pros and cons.I have this ancient Panasonic DVD player hooked up to my amp and tv right now.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It is a tough choice. A few years back there were a fair amount of companies making universal players. The choices were easier back then once one figured out the features needed and budget. Now most choices are used as there just aren't many new universal players available.

4. steveharris

The Sony X1100 Es looks like a good deal.

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

At $499 I'm not sure if it's a good deal. But if you need a stereo analog output then it's a good choice. If you just use HDMI then the Sony-X800M2 looks like a better deal at half the cost. I'm not familiar with current Sony players as far as features and reliability.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-u...-blu-ray-player-black/6350351.p?skuId=6350351
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-u...VQ77ACh1AyQAyEAQYASABEgLLD_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

steveharris likes this.
  6. steveharris

There is a link up thread $350.Still Oppo,Cambridge,Pioneer,others to research.Reliability is a big consideration.

Bill Mac likes this.
  7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Me too, the Darbee edition, but I bought it NOS last August. Made in 2014, gotten by The Pinhead in 2019; happy as a clam !

jwoverho and steveharris like this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Also the ability to get service. Unfortunately Oppo will be winding down their service center in a year or two. It was a good run for sure.

jwoverho, The Pinhead and steveharris like this.
  9. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

What about a current Universal Disc Player with audio streaming options (Qobuz and/or Tidal and/or Amazon)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.