"Toast and Marmalade for Tea" by TIN TIN, produced and bass guitar by Maurice Gibb, long version!!??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I've always loved this song. Maurice was such an underrated talent.

2. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I actually bought both of their albums on the strength of that single, back in the day, their day. They were pretty darn good! But this tune remains their signature best, IMO.

3. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Mom always said don't play Tin Tin in the house!

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

My mom thought the record was defective and I should get my money back. I think ATCO just dubbed the American version from an Aussie 45..

5. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

The original video is not available for me. I wonder if it's because I'm not in the United States.

I've always loved "Toast and Marmelade for Tea". I thought about mentioning it in the "romantic songs" thread, but I thought the lyrics weren't as "romantic" as the others I intended to mention.

6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I *knew* I had that song around here somewhere. First I looked on a bunch of compilation albums, and the one I thought would be it turned out to be a different Marmalade - "Reflections Of My Life". Then I saw Steve's post mentioning his ATCO single and THAT's where it was:

[​IMG]

7. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

I remember recording this from the local Top 40 station in Sarasota (WKXY-AM 930) back then, I still have that tape today! I found the 45 years later, same as the one shown above, with the same sleeve even. A great song, unique and a bit quirky, it fits well with the times. I also bought the entire HAND-Super Hits of the 70s CDs when they came out around 1990. Kept all of them too, ripped them to MP3 to play in the car along with tons of Time-Life CDs that are similar.

I think I'll replace the "Toast" on my MP3 comp with this one that Steve posted, nice to hear something different. I probably wouldn't have found it if he hadn't posted it here.

Thanks, Steve!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Nice to see Mo Gibb get some love on SHF!

granata, Steve Hoffman and Hadean75 like this.
  9. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think I prefer the King of Fuh to The Fut:

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Lots of craft and creativity from the mid 60's to early 70's. more so than any other era, imo.

12. Andrew Chouffi

Andrew Chouffi Forum Resident

Steve Kipner, one half of Tin Tin, sure has done well as a songwriter over the years.

"Physical" - Olivia Newton-John
    "Hard Habit to Break" - Chicago
    "Genie In A Bottle" - Christina Aguilera
    "Breakeven" - The Script
    "Impulsive" - Wilson Phillips

Just a handful of the hit co-writes that Mr. Kipner has crafted...

Andy

13. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Never thought about checking out their albums,thanks. A cursory search on Ebay and found a CD copy of Astral Taxi for a lazy $260!

Folknik likes this.
  14. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

Thanks for reminding us of Tin Tin, @Steve Hoffman - now that is a great distraction in this weird time! Love a wobbly guitar sound - I can see why your mom thought the record was defective!

Maurice was a really great musician, and I've always admired his bass playing - especially the Rickenbacker in the '60's and early '70's.

Upthread that rare single by Maurice and the Tin Tin guys, as The Fut, was posted in a dodgy pseudo-stereo mix: here it is in much better sound, in mono:

A great Beatles pastiche - (if not a bit drunken) and enjoyable in its attempts to sound like a Fabs outtake. I always liked it. Go Mo!

BeatleJWOL and LFSDoc like this.
  15. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Another band member co-wrote "Too Much Too Little Too Late"

16. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I remember it well, they could have written a few more lines.

17. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I found Astral Taxi on vinyl for $1.00. Both albums are very good, but search for more reasonably priced copies. I don't know if you're a vinyl collector, but Amazon has a used vinyl copy of Astral Taxi for $8.95. The CDs are ridiculously priced in almost 4 figures. Their self-titled debut can be found on CD for $14.99 or maybe even less. Happy hunting.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    granata and AFOS like this.
  18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

They discovered that wobbly electric piano sound when someone accidentally bumped against the recording console causing the sound to waver. They liked it so much they did it on purpose for the record. They used it again on "Is That the Way."

19. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

I'd love to hear this full version but the video isn't allowed to be played in Australia.. weird. Can someone do me a big favour and upload the audio somewhere so I (and others) can hear it please. It's an all-time fave of mine and I never knew there was a long version. In fact where exactly does it come from?..it's not from the original album so some sort of obscure European compile?

20. LFSDoc

LFSDoc time has told me not to ask for more

Yeah i posted the fake stereo version thinking it was a real stereo mix (which is indeed available) and did not check! My bad :) Always like it too btw

Jon H. likes this.
  21. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Oddly enough, this long version of T&MfT is streaming on Qobuz (US), at the moment.

22. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

I, too, loved this song as a kid. And bought the single - still have it.

Didn't know there was a "long" version. Thanks Steve!

Bee Gees fan then and now.

23. HGN2001

Do we know from where the longer version that Steve posted originated?

It's a mono track except that the last cold-ending note has a stereo reverb.

24. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

The track is on a U.S. CD Super Hits Of The 70's - Have A Nice Day Vol. 16 - I did a bit of digging around but unfortunately it's only the normal 45 length. The mystery deepens.

25. HGN2001

I've done a bit of digging too and maybe this is the source:

[​IMG][​IMG]

This Netherlands comp lists "Toast And Marmalade For Tea" at 3:10.

Discogs prices are around $50 and up.

Phil D likes this.