Today is Eric Clapton's 75th birthday

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GoodKitty, Mar 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

2. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

A very happy birthday to Mr. Clapton! And many happy returns.

GoodKitty likes this.
  3. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

He has had an amazing career-from John Mayall's Bluesbreakers to the Yardbirds to Cream to Blind Faith to Derek and the Dominos to his involvement with Delaney and Bonnie to a solo career that has gone on for nearly a half century.

When I got an 8 track player for high school graduation I later cashed my tax refund check and bought $75 worth of 8 tracks at my local Musicland store and Cream's Disraeli Gears was one of them.

Happy birthday Eric!:righton:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    keef285, lazydawg58 and GoodKitty like this.
  4. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

One of my all-time favorite guitarists/ musicians. He gets so much emotion out of his guitar. Wishing you many more happy, healthy birthdays Slowhand.

5. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

STAY HOME!!! Happy Birthday, Mr. C!

6. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Thanks to my parents for taking me to see Cream in 1968, with Black Sabbath opening!

bluesky, SGR, RiRiIII and 2 others like this.
  7. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Yep, he's twenty years to the day older than me! And since he was out of the Yardbirds by the end of March, 1965, that means that every note he played with that band was as a teenager.

Rock on, Eric!

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  8. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Birthday greetings extended to EC on his 75th annivers- ...birthday! Sorry, I was thinking of another thread.

GoodKitty likes this.
  9. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Happy birthday, Eric :cool:

GoodKitty and footlooseman like this.
  10. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

We all need to do that! Well we don't really have to stay indoors, just keep your distance from any others while you are out there! I'd suggest working in the yard and dawg walks as a great stress release from being socially distanced. Hope everyone, especially those of us in the high risk categories follow the guidelines! Happy Birthday Eric!

bluejimbop and Umbari like this.
  11. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Happy Birthday old sock.

I've been listening to this quite a bit lately. I've won a copy of it because an e-mail I sent to Rock n' Folk magazine was published and they reward their published readers with a CD (a double in this case).

Amazingly I had never listened to "461 Ocean Boulevard" before, I only knew songs off it from compilations, and it wasn't many. I'd even forgotten "Let It Grow" and it's a great song.

[​IMG]

12. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Happiest of Birthdays!

Sorry I didn’t send a card

13. GAW Jr.

GAW Jr. Forum Resident

Happy Birthday Eric.

'Concert For George' is one of the most brilliant and moving concert performances that Eric has ever led. Wonderful (Tonight) to have Eric in our lives.

Going back to 1969, link for the 'White Album' song from Side One of 'Live Peace in Toronto', Eric with John's Plastic Ono Band debut.

Although a Live Peace POB 69 performance video was later released, I prefer 'audio only' from the LP, Mrs Lennon was mixed down on Side One.

John takes the first solo on 'Yer Blues', but Eric give us a 'blistering' lead guitar solo during his turn. There are so many notes, I can not even think that fast, boggles the mind. "Just like Dylan's Mr. Jones".

14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I had never seen that killer 1st photo!

GoodKitty likes this.
  15. All Down The Line

You are A Strange Brew!

16. Duffy Shrimpton

Duffy Shrimpton Forum Resident

Bumped into yer man comin out the Fenchurch Station back in the bloody Dominoes days.
    Clappers told me to “Sod off, luv” after we asked him for a ten’r for libations at the Hogshead
    Yer man was a proper tosser them days

17. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

He's done a lot, a lot that I like too. I think most importantly he's brought blues to many people's radars who might not have been otherwise exposed to it, and I think he's been humble about his place in the lineage.

Umbari and All Down The Line like this.
  18. All Down The Line

Good God,

Like countless others i listened constantly, enraptured by your sermons in my early years!

I identified with them and in time went forth to fashion my own youthful gunslinger bluesman modelled on you in my own eyes.

It was far deeper than the playing, image and perceived persona, i was a pilgrim seeking and reading your scriptures in all periodicals and filmed footage as I sought the key of your hard won wisdom for my own musical enlightenment.

I studied your leadwork with fervour, came to your shows and tried to live strictly what I thought to be a bluesman's life in my own mind.

It couldn't work, nobody's you and attempting to emulate another's way of life (& art) through isolation, suffering and sacrifice is at best a fabrication but oh what a wonderful romance I had that went on and on.

So Eric from the Old testament of the Bluesbreakers to the new of Just One Night and beyond I could not be more greatful for all you have given me as I followed your career's arc.

Today as ever my mother was right, (given all the continual plays of the time on my guitar and stereo) when 30 years ago she said insisted that Sunshine Of Your Love was my theme song!

With the deepest gratitude and respect Happy Birthday Eric!

N.b. Somehow was thinking of
    @Rick Bartlett when I wrote this.

SGR and Rick Bartlett like this.
  19. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

@All Down The Line
    That was beautifully written, and straight from your Soul.
    I feel like you meant every single word.

Happy Birthday Mr. Clapton!!!
    A guitar God who inspired, and continues to inspire.
    As long as people play guitars, Eric Clapton will always be among the top of the list.
    Blues/Rock On!!!
    [​IMG]

All Down The Line likes this.
  20. All Down The Line

Many thanks Rick I tried to be honest and simultaneously have people remain awake!

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  21. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Saw his cd 'Riding With The King' when I was rummaging through a box of cds in a thrift store yesterday...
    Must have?

22. All Down The Line

Pleasant but not essential.

23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

And as revered as he is for his guitar playing, he's a fantastic singer too!

24. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

When / Where was that?

All Down The Line likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.