Todd Rundgren, Micky Dolenz and others touring the White Album this summer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris DeVoe, Jun 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

My brother is off seeing this show again in Kansas City at the Kauffman Center.

2. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Jackson Rancheria show, but I just know that as soon as I do they'll add more dates closer to home.

3. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Love seeing him with an SG!

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (© Christopher Cross/Jason Scheff)

Micky, Joey, Todd & Jason w/ the Band

[aftershow bonding!]

Cabot Theater
    October 5, Beverly, MA​

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    MikaelaArsenault, Chris DeVoe and Dok like this.
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Todd w/band

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

Pabst Theater - Milwaukee, WI
    10/2/19

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Three WA songs have been dropped from the original list, so they're down to a mere 33 songs including 23 from the White Album.

9. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Todd’s head looks like a hot dog and Mickey’s liver is about to explode. I can’t wait to see what they do for an encore.

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Huge fan of Rundgren, Badfinger, Monkees and Beatles. Taking my 12yo twin girls who are huge fans of Monkees and Beatles. Cant wait.

MikaelaArsenault and longdist01 like this.
  11. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Saw this show Monday in at the University of Maine in Orono. We loved it. Highlights for me: Micky totally nailing 'Happiness is a Warm Gun,' Todd on 'Everybody's Got Something to Hide' and 'Helter Skelter' and Joey Molland leading 'Savoy Truffle.'

The 'ringers' in the band were essential for pulling off some of the trickier bits. It's an impressive show - especially considering they only had one week together for rehearsal before the first show.

I'd like to see a current version of the setlist to compare it with the Maine show.

longdist01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

13. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

"Rudgren"? :rolleyes:

Saw the show the other night in Staten Island. Very enjoyable and fun show, it was about 2.5 hours long with an intermission. Everyone was great, I especially liked Christopher Cross's acoustic set to open the second set. Todd was Todd, which is always great but sometimes he was singing behind the beat and please just sing it the way it was written! Jason Scheff's vocals were great and the backup band was excellent. If you have a chance, go see this show.

longdist01 likes this.
  14. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

And they say you can't get good drugs anymore!

longdist01 likes this.
  16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Theatre at Westbury, NY
    10/12/19

[​IMG]

Dok and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Enjoyed the show last night. Christopher Cross was a very pleasant surprise. He was the best singer of any of the stars, did really great acoustic guitar on the softer numbers, and was the best at singing Beatles, though his "originals" spot was the least interesting to me.

Wonderful hearing Todd do straight versions of Hello and ISTLight, as they are so rarely done that way in the 30 or so Todd shows I have seen. His take on Monkey (pointing at Micky in first chorus) was a highlight too. And nice to see him do Baby Blue with Molland.

I think it was poor pacing putting the 10 non-Beatles numbers back to back in the middle of set 1.

I had read reports Rain was the backing band - that was not the case - only their musical director was there.

I am guessing the 3 songs dropped from the list were Yer Blues, Long Long Long and Cry Baby Cry, right? They also omitted Dont Pass Me By, WHPie and Rev 9 (and just played Goodnight from album as they took bows).

My 12 year old twin girls - seemingly the only kids there, significantly more brought walkers - loved every minute, and we got tons of "How did you like it?"s and "Awesome job Dad"s on the way out. They have now seen 1 or more Monkees 4 times and a Beatle 4 times, and this show was a little bit Monkee and a little bit Beatle for them.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  20. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Saw the KC show, enjoyed it a lot. I'll agree with the comment about Christopher Cross, he shines on the McCartney material. There was quite a bit of hamming it up with Todd & Mickey, but it was highly entertaining. Not everything has to be a note perfect replica of the White Album, that's not what this show is. Also it's nice to see a show in a theater designed for good sound and small enough that you can see everyone on the stage without the aid of ginormous screens.

JDeanB, longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Yer Blues, Cry Baby Cry and Good Night (as a live number). They weren't doing Long Long Long in the first place as far as I know.

Really enjoyed the show but I wish they'd just played the whole thing. I've seen the Cowsills do it and they even found a way to get through Revolution 9.

JDeanB and Rfreeman like this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

JDeanB likes this.
  23. DownHome

DownHome New Member

I will try to score tix for Dec 1 Fifty Years Ago in Cincy this week. so far i have 4 other takers.
    It Was 50 Years Ago Today: A Tribute to The Beatles' White Album | Cincinnati Arts

BTW, have y'all been voting everyday for TODD?
    Rock Hall Fan Vote - Google Search

And thanks for getting me soooo psyched for the show. I took my wife to the Utopia show at the Taft last year, she loved the harmonies and we were literally dancing in the aisle.

Wish they could end the show with Sons of 1984. More after the show...

24. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I saw the show last night in D.C. Very entertaining, an evening well spent. Highlights included Todd's costume and prop for "Bungalow Bill" and Scheff's performance of "25 or 6 to 4," including a scorching solo by the supporting guitarist, who manage to capture the feel of - and expand on - Terry Kath's performance from the original record. People broke into applause during the guitar solo.

The five headliners weren't on stage the whole time - they came and went, with the evening broken up into semi-thematic chunks (here are the acoustic songs, here are the solo showcases) - but that's exactly what happened on the original White Album so the feel of the evening managed to evoke the album without sticking to the LP running order.

coolcreek likes this.
  25. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I was 4th row in Morristown and got hit by the water gun a few times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.