Todd Rundgren...why isn’t he more famous?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by majoyenrac, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's like that quote attributed to Michelangelo "If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all."

lee59 likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

I want Astral Drive to perform at RR XII.

lee59 likes this.
  3. bhud1

bhud1 Well-Known Member

Because he cant sing and looks like Cher.

4. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I don't know. The only thing I can think of is that many people think he's too arrogant.

Such as? I've been a fan of his music since I was a teen, but I'm just starting to check out his interviews.

5. Chris DeVoe

I'll get back to you in a bit, as I'm on a bus at the moment.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  6. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

such as jumping into the prog pool with Live and Ra when he’s known for top shelf AM radio hits

MortSahlFan likes this.
  7. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I liked The Nazz never cared for Todd Rundgren after that :shrug:

8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Neither of which hurt Cher!

Fender Relic and Joti Cover like this.
  9. MortSahlFan

Thank you.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Rundgren lives in a virtual paradise in Hawaii and has had the freedom for decades to entertain whatever generally odd artistic &/or musical whim he fancies. Maybe he isn't the most famous, but he certainly is an example of extreme success professionally (and at life). From my vantage point he is free. Even free from fame with all the best benefits.

11. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I here a lot about finances though, maybe he should sell his paradise and live a more simple life?

12. Chris DeVoe

Let's see:

Todd predicted streaming in 1978. He sold music digitally before anyone else via CompuServe. He started his own digital service called Patronet.
    Patronet wound up missing the market because Todd insisted on writing his own client and server.

Todd got into making music videos before almost anyone, and built his own television studio.

But he bought the wrong format, Bosch's "B" format 1" tape rather than Sony's "C" format. So outside clients couldn't work in Todd's studio.

He was involved with the New York Institute of Technology, one of the foundations of computer graphics. As part of his video studio, he bought a video "still store" when such things were $100,000+. He worked with Dr. Alvy Ray Smith there.

Smith was one of the founders of Lucasfilm Graphics Group - which later became PIXAR.

Todd had a piece of software in the very first Apple ][ software catalog, the Utopia Graphics Tablet. It was the first commercially available paint program.

But it depended on an add-on board designed by hardware engineer, notorious "Phone Phreak" John Draper, aka "Cap'n Crunch". The board never passed FCC verification, and if I'm familiar with Draper, he refused to fix it, so it never sold.

He was in the right place with the right ideas over and over again. He should be a billionaire. But he managed to not cash in on any of them.

13. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

And here he is in 19, singing Rocky Racoon. Can’t stop.

14. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

This is off-topic but your post made me think of this:
    I've not noticed anyone say this, but given the sorts of things people often say on this board (such as only liking The Nazz), there have to be people around here who only like the first Moody Blues album (The Magnificent Moodies) but don't care for them afterwards . . . which is interesting to me because before posting here, I would have never guessed that there would be people with opinions like that.

15. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I have multiple copies of those Nazz albums even. I'm sure there's got to be someone else who prefers the Nazz over his solo work.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's the only explanation why TR isn't more popular?

Isn't it also possible that a lot of people simply don't really like his music? :confused:

PDK, Fullbug and MortSahlFan like this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Seriously, how did Todd manage not to make huge money on any of this?

Chris DeVoe and maui jim like this.
  18. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

he did how else explain his recording studio, video studio in upstate in NY. And now living in Kauai.

Fullbug likes this.
  19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

He had the studio long ago though, before most of those investmens. With what he invested in, he should OWN Kauii.

20. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

Sure, your thought is a distinct possibility, though with it now being 2019, I think there's a greater likelihood that most folks simply don't know Rundgren's music. Especially the younger set as they haven't been exposed to much --- if any --- of it.

My guess is youth aren't exactly devouring oldies radio stations, and even on those airwaves, Todd's oeuvre isn't particularly well-represented.

Hearing only "We Gotta Get You a Woman" and "I Saw the Light" falls far short of painting a complete picture of Rundren's musical landscape. Hopefully one day curious listeners will investigate further and be rewarded with the many gems the man has gifted us.

21. MortSahlFan

I haven't heard a great album made in the last 30 years. Especially compared to the previous 30 years before that.

22. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Dunno about great, but Rundgren made two very good albums in recent decades: "Liars" and "White Knight."

23. MortSahlFan

PDK likes this.
  24. MortSahlFan

Is there audio and/or video of this?

25. Chris DeVoe

Everyone knows what a huge Todd fan I am, and I still haven't watched that four hour documentary.

Raysdeathmachine likes this.