Todd Where Are You?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ronflugelguy, Jun 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek Thread Starter

Just wanted to let you know that I bought the C555es SACD player today. And its great!!!!! Kills both my other payer on cds. I was pissed because I headed over to Best Buy to get SACDs right after i got and they loced their doors in my Face!(closed at 6pm)So I'll have to wait for SACD. But so far its KILLER!!!! Thanks for your help in making the decision! Ron:)

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Ron, great news!! I know it was a tough call but it is a very nice player. Did it come with the 2 free SACD's? Also, it sounds great out of the box but give it some time to break-in (warm up a bit, etc.). I think you will be even more amazed next week and then in 2 weeks. Do you live near a Tower Records? They're having a sale until June 30th, 2 ch SACD's are $15.99 & multi-ch's are $17.99. Do a search to see some of the forum's highly recommended discs. Yes, it does play redbook CD's very well and I'm glad you feel it was worth the purchase compared to the other player you have. Great news again, Ron! Welcome to the SACD club!!

Todd

P.S. I bet those 2 CCR SACD's will be out shortly...

3. Ronflugelguy

Thanks, Todd, I'll get back to you when I get some SACDs and when I get the unit burned in. ( the two disc were not with it):confused:

4. Ronflugelguy

Todd, just got back from Best buy, where I picked up the Herbie hancock SACD of "Headhunters". Needless to say very focused,and doesn't break up at high volumes(although the player doesn't on redbooks either). however mighty impressed so far. I think I'll go for "Kind of Blue" next, becouse everyone has told me I need the SACD, even though I already have the Classic Lp and the Sony CD. The guy who sold me the unit said if I only buy one disc, it should be KOB................we'll see......................

5. Todd Fredericks

Ron,

'Headhunters' is really great sounding. Listen to the bass and just the space on that disc. 'KOB' is supposed to be a killer disc bit I also own the Classic 2 disc version, plus the Mosaic set so I just don't know. There are lots more to get for me that I don't already own. 'Time Out' is supposed to be great. I'm really enjoying Mingus' 'Ah Um', it is really nice sounding. Maybe you'll like the James Taylor 'Hour Glass' (I like it). Are you near a Tower Records? They have a big sale on until the 30th...

Todd

P.S. Also, remember you'll need to break in the mutli channel mode as well. Different chips/cricuits, I think. I haven't hooked mine up yet...

6. Ronflugelguy

Headhunters, a great disc, Harvy Mason, incedible drummer, underrated, now plays with that crossover group "FOREPLAY":(
    But SACD has a whole different level of performance compared with Redbook CD.So I'm happy!

7. Todd Fredericks

Ron,

Thanks for the info about Harvy Mason (he is incredible). Yes, the SACD 'Headhunters' is pure sonic joy. I ordered from Red Trumpet the AP SACD of 'Way Out West'. I'll let you know what I think when I get it (a few weeks because it's backordered/also tied to other pre-orders I'm getting, etc.)...

Todd

8. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Yeah, Headhunters is a good one. 'Chameleon' stomps the funk outta ya, don't it? I recently got 'Blow By Blow' Beck and it's another good one to have on the shelf. Let me know how you like the Rollins disc. I just ordered 'Mingus Ah Um' and the AP SACD ' Waltz For Debbie'. Can't wait until they release 'Sunday At The Village Vanguard'. Actually I wish they could have put them both on one SACD. That would've been ultimate. Somehow I just don't see Fantasy ever letting that happen unless they did it themselves. Those two albums are desert island discs for me!

BTW...sorry to break up the party on this thread but it looked like you and Ron were having way to much fun in here! :D

9. Todd Fredericks

MagicAlex,

I'll definately let you know about 'Way Out West'. I think you'll love 'Ah Um'. I've had my eye on the 'Sunday at the Village Vangaurd' and 'Waltz for Debbie' discs. Please report when you listen to them...

Todd

P.S. Welcome to the party...

10. Ronflugelguy

Magicalex, welcome to the party. Did you say you had tried one or some of the Patricia Barber MOFI SACDs?

11. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Yes...and I'm sure I'll probably get flogged by the redundancy police for saying this again....but here goes...I think that they are the best sounding SACS that I have bought thusfar. Each one is sonically superb. If you are not familiar with the music it varies from disc to disc but I think they are all worthy. Each one is hybrid as well for portability.

Check your PM.

12. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

I'm sure you're right MagicAlex since they are among the best sounding 16 bit cd's I've ever heard. I can only imagine how good they sound on SACD!

But no SACD player for now. :(

13. Ronflugelguy

Came across a Patricia Barber interview in Stereophile when looking for the 555ES review. Has a RCA desktop system with PRO AC (small) bookshelf speakers!

14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You will know from the moment it opens, with the weird beat and percussion effects, that you are in for a great time. I don't have the best CD version of this classic album - that would be the XRCD. But I do have a K2 which cost about $16.00, and is a great transfer. I've loved this ever since I had it and wasn't expecting the SACD to be much better. I mean, it's an old recording isn't it? But man, I was shocked - the SACD is just stunning. I took the K2 to work to play on a portable CD player through headphones, and in that setting, it's a gas. But the SACD at home is truly exceptional.

And as far as Pat Barber goes ... Alex is right on the money. Absolutely reference quality (whatever that means). And I have the FIM Gold version of "Cafe Blue", so the comparison is at a high level. I've always thought the FIM disc was superlative, but all three SACDs just take my breath away.

So the three Barber CDs I own have also been sent to the office (I'm getting a nice collection there now). I did buy "Companion" the other day, because I saw it for $12 in Barnes and Noble, and it usually is a bit more expensive than that. It's very nice too.

As you can guess, I'm an unabashed Patricia Barber fan. There was an enlightening interview with her in the NY Times recently. Well, I learnt something I wasn't aware of.

Regards,
    Geoff

15. Ronflugelguy

I can hardly wait to hear "Way Out West" on SACD, I've had it on OJC vinyl for quite some time and always thought that Steve should do it on DCC CD.!!

16. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

My SACD copies of AP 'Waltz For Debbie' and 'Mingus Ah Um' arrived on Friday. I have had a chance to listen to both of them a few times and I am impressed with both!

I know you mentioned that you had the Mingus CD. How did you like it. I like the sound better than Miles 'KOB' SACD. I find it very interesting that these sessions from the late 50's can sound so damn good recorded DSD.

'Waltz For Debbie' was a revelation! There's so much detail there and, OMG, those bass solos by LaFaro. I was in heaven. It has such a warm sound. I guess transfering DSD from analog recorders made all the difference. I can't wait for 'Sunday @ The Village Vanguard' to be released.

I did notice a few dropouts more clearly on this one but that's what's on the master and that's what you get with such a playback medium.

One other thing, a bonus, the tracks were laid out differently than the Fantasy version. They didn't stick the double takes of tracks next to each other. I've always disliked sitting through alt and multi takes of the same track one after another.

I think my next SACD purchases will be Tommy Smith's 'Bluesmith' & 'Sound Of Love' from Linn. These are two great titles that the SACD format should enhance!

17. Ronflugelguy

I woul like to hear sonny Rollins "And The Contemporary Leaders" on SACD, but that would be my 5th different pressing/format!:confused:

18. Todd Fredericks

MagicAlex,

I really like the Mingus SACD. It's one of my favorites out of the 10 or so I own. It has a very analog feel to it (which says a lot for SACD). I think it was mastered very well. It sounds like there are "real" people playing together and I can "feel" a human quality to the music (which I usually get only from vinyl). I agree with you about this period of Jazz music translating well to DSD (with the right mastering). I felt with several red book jazz albums (50's-60's) I have there was something kind of missing (life perhaps?). I really think 'Ah Um' is a winner in this format. I hope 'Way Out West' gives me the same pleasure (I love that album)...

Todd

P.S. So far I'm not so pleased with Willie Nelson's 'Stardust'. Is it me or is his vocal just to bright/harsh? It may be just how his voice sounds in the mike/mix but it seems like there's an EQ push. The music sounds beautiful but the tone of his vocals just sound off to me???

19. Todd Fredericks

Ron,

After a few more days has the C555ES started sweetening up some more? Any more impressions?

MagicAlex,

How's the CE775 doing? Have you noticed any more improvements after some additional play? You've had yours for a while, right?

My player seems to still be improving even since last week. I never thought these improvements with time would be as dramatic as they seem to be. Everything sounds a lot smoother now (except Willie Nelson's vocals on 'Stardust'/I think it's just the recording, etc.). Red book playback is much better too.

Todd

20. Ronflugelguy

Impressions After a week

Todd, its sweetening up. What i have noticed that all redbook cds sound better, but the great ones have a further disitance better from the not so good ones, even though they are much better. I find that my listening isn't as analytical as before the 555. In other word, its easier to enjoy the music.:)

21. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

One strange note about the Mingus disc...the liners say it was remixed. I only have the Columbia/Legacy remaster to compare with and it's the same remix/remastering job. Either way, as you said, it is an exceptional SACD! I really like it the more I hear it!

Gosh, where's the Blue Note SACDs...I'm gonna p*ss my pants in anticipation. I put in a request for Lee Morgan's 'Sonic Boom' over at the BN board to kick off an SACD campaign. There are lots of folks wanting to get that one in ANY format. And 'Hutcherson's 'Dialogue' would be a nice candidate. And to think of all those Hancock albums in DSD sound!!! Look out!

I haven't heard the Nelson SACD but I did recently listen to '16 Biggest Hits' a recent compilation from Columbia/Legacy and I felt the same way about his voice on that one. I don't listen to Willie a whole lot. Maybe that's just the way he likes to be recorded. Anyone else have a clue on this?

The Evans SACD was mastered by Doug Sax using all-tube components. Did he remaster all of APs Fantasy SACD releases?

Yes, the more that I play the 775 the better it sounds as well. I have been going back to the first discs that I bought and they seem to get better with every play. Except for 'In The Flesh' which I am not pleased with at all. I don't think it will sound any better with 100 plays!

Another disc that should be exceptional, if you like the genre, is Alison Krauss 'New Favorite'. I have the redbook and it's wonderful. This is a full DSD recording so it will take advantage of it all I am sure. I'll have to trade up to SACD sometime.

22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Alex,

I have all the Linn SACDs (10 in total) except for the very latest offering from them - their first multichannel effort. Are you aware of www.allegro-music.com. This is the best place to buy the Linn discs in the USA. Become a member (no charge) and buy on line for $18.79. Free shipping for orders $50 and up. No tax for California residents (they are in Oregon). The two Tommy Smith albums are excellent. Allegro also have the best prices for the Vanguards.

I'm looking forward to "New Favorite" - I have the other two Krauss albums on Rounder and they are just terrific.

Todd,

Your SACD player must have more up its sleeve. I don't hear any problem on the Willie Nelson SACD. Nice close miking but Willie's voice is smooth as a baby's bum in my system. Excellent tone in my opinion. Give it more time.

Regards,
    Geoff

23. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Thanks for the tip Metralla. I was looking at 24.99 each for the two Smith discs. I'm gonna do a little digging around on this site for a while. I had seen their 'surplus' site but never visited Allegro. :)

24. Todd Fredericks

Geoff,

There could be two reasons why I think his vocal sounds "off" a bit. The player still may need some more break-in time (this disc will be a good test of this) or it's just my taste in the way his voice was recorded (it happens). I'll give it more time. I think the music sounds superb but the vocal, well...

Todd

25. Ronflugelguy

Hey Todd, maybe I'll go out and get the James taylor SACD, but Willie Nelson, just not my cup of tea, but that's just me, so I probably never be able to give you a second opinion on that one.

Have a good week, Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.