Todd Where Are You?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ronflugelguy, Jun 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Ron,

I think you'll enjoy the James Taylor SACD. It's great music and also has amazing sonics. I'm starting to believe that with 'Stardust', I just I'm not into the quality acheived with the recording of Nelson's voice (we all have our own taste). To me, it lacks a type of warmth that I usually enjoy (maybe it's the choice of mike/preamp/processing). I don't have any other sources of the album to compare. I don't think it's the player or my system because the music sounds wonderful (especially the guitars) and a lot of my other favorite albums SACD/CD/vinyl sound fine (for me). Anyway, enough about 'Stardust' (maybe I won't mind the vocal quality in time)...

Todd

P.S. I can't wait for Steve's CCR titles...

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

While we are on the topic of all these new SACDs that we are purchasing and reviewing I thought that this site may be of interest. You may have seen it before but if not there's much to glean here. Ron, there's a 'Cafe Blue' review here for your perusal. Enjoy! :D

3. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I guess it would help to insert the link here, huh? Doh! :rolleyes:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/sacd.asp

4. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Interesting. So the Mo-Fi Barber SACDs are produced from a "superior master"? I may get that one since her rendition of Bye Bye Blackbird is very nice, and her short piano solo on the same is just fantastic. BTW MagicAlex, you linked to a review of Night Club.

Does anyone have the Allison Krauss/New Favorite SACD? Mine is on back order, but I can't wait to hear it since the rebook is already excellent.

Can anyone recommend sone Japanese Jazz or classical SACDs? I'm trying to get an order together.

5. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Double-Doh! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Did you ever get that Pilhofer SACD? Or was that someone else who won it on eBay?

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

pm,
    Are you getting some from HMV Japan?

The really outstanding one I have from Japan is "Birdland" by M. Sasaji and L.A. Allstars on SME. This positively just leaps out of the speakers - just so dynamic and realistic. The opening track is (naturally enough) "Birdland" and it is just terrific. A nice vocal track is included - the old warhorse "The Look of Love".

Regarding that highfidelityreview site, (and yes, it was "Nightclub") check out the review of the Roger Waters SACD. He really didn't like it. It just goes to show that one man's meat is ... I think that "In the Flesh" is wonderful.

Regards,
    Geoff

7. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

No problem MagicAlex,
    Thanks for thr review. I recieved my Pilhofer SACD but only listened to it quickly so no comments yet, other than to say its different and sounds pretty good.

Metralla,
    Thanks, now I can order my Black Market SACD.

I picked up Herbie Hancock/Headhunters today and noticed Monk/Straight, No Chaser. Any comments?

8. Metralla

I have the Monk, and also "Solo Monk" (cool cover) on JSACD. I much prefer "Straight, No Chaser".

But irrespective of that comparison, "Straight, No Chaser" is a great SACD. Truly excellent It includes all the long versions of the songs that had to be edited to fit on the LP. And there are a couple of extra tracks. Same line up of songs as on the 1996 re-release - about 75 mins of Monk. If you love jazz you should have this SACD. Piano is particularly satsifying on SACD in my opinion.

I can't wait to hear your report on "Black Market".

Regards,
    Geoff

9. Todd Fredericks

Geoff,

Thanks for the tip on the Monk SACD. I've been thinking about getting and I think I'll pick it up Wednesday. 75 mins. of Monk, fanatastic...

Todd

10. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Yes, I have this remastered version on regular CD but it must sound fantastic on SACD. Heck, you can't go wrong with Monk anyway. Such a talent and this is one of the best Columbia's. I also like 'Underground' too. What a cool cover on that one!

I see where AP is releasing Monk's 'Five By Monk By Five' any day now. I have the 'Complete Riverside Recording' box and have played it through several times. It contains this album but I never have been aware of what I was listening to while rolling through such a large body of music. I'm sure I'll get it though.

This is a link to AMGs review of that album...

Metralla, I ordered the Smith Linn SACDs today. Can't wait! :D

11. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

I'll be swinging by Tower some time this week, that's for sure.

I hope they release Jarrett's Koln Concert.

12. Todd Fredericks

MagicAlex,

I love Monk's music! I hope the AP 'Five By Monk By Five' is going to be killer. Do you know who did the mastering on this one? Wednesday, I going to pick up 'Straight, No Chaser' and I'll let you know what I think. It's a shame Tower's sale ended on the 30th...

Todd

13. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

And what if...what if theywere to release the 'Live At The Blue Note' box on SACD. I get goosebumps at the thought of that!

BTW...I noticed the same thing that Metralla did and totally agree that SACD really brings out a natural, full piano sound better than any other format I've heard.

14. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I hope Doug Sax does it. He did a wonderful job on the Evans disc! Did he do the 'Way Out West' SACD?

I wish that APs website was more up to date. I didn't see any of the SACDs noted there.

15. Todd Fredericks

I think Sax did the 'Way Out West' SACD. Yes, I wish AP would update their site. I think they really should because they have all these "hot" releases coming out...

Todd

P.S. I wonder when Steve's 2 CCR SACD's will be ready with that ol' sign on them "For Sale"?

16. Metralla

Doug Sax, The Mastering Lab

From the little booklet inside the "Way Out West" SACD...

"Doug Sax mastered this recording from the original analog tapes using the Mastering Lab's proprietary all-tube electronics until the final digital conversion.

Sax used the latest third-generation Analog-to-DSD converters from Ed Meitner/EMM Labs to transfer the music to the SACD layer".

Regards,
    Geoff

17. Todd Fredericks

Geoff,

Thanks for the details on 'Way Out West'. I've ordered it and I'm eager to hear it. So, what do you think about it? Is it great?

Todd

18. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Re: Doug Sax, The Mastering Lab

I dont know for a fact but it appears that Sax is doing all of the AP Fantasy reissues on SACD. So far, so good! :)

19. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek Thread Starter

Todd,555 help!

Todd, i just had a problem with a disc being read in the 555, I've never had a problem with any other disc,it actually would not come out, and yes, it was mounted in the tray correctly. Had to power down unit in order to get the tray to operate when I restarted it ??? Had any similar probs? Thanks, Ron.

20. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Re: Todd,555 help!

Ron, I had the same thing happen with my standalone CDR. I believe that the units, due to the nature of way they read the table of contents on a disc, liken them more to a computer than prior CD unit. I called my manufacture to confirm this and it was so. It basically "locked-up" and had to be "rebooted" with a power down restart.

Todd, do you have anything to add or subtract?

21. Todd Fredericks

Ron,

I'm sorry to hear about this problem. No, I've never encountered something like that. The only glitch I had was a few days after I brought the player. It was having trouble reading the TOC of a SACD in tray #5. It tried for a minute or so and then progressed to tray #1. I gave it a few minutes and then skipped back to tray 5 and then it read it. That was the only problem I've encountered. It only happened that 1 time. I suggest trying that disc again in another tray # and see if it works (clean the disc first). If it works then try it in the same "offfending" tray and hopefully no problems. Sometimes glitches like this happens with players. I've had my DVD player for 4 years and sometimes the same thing happens (once in a blue moon). It's almost like it has trouble detecting the disk and freezes and I have to power down (usually unplug the power chord). I wouldn't worry too much. If it doesn't happen again then it should be fine. If this does happen again (a few times) then maybe you'll have to exchange the player for a new one at Good Guys (just to be safe). Let us know what happens. Also, don't stress about it. Glitches are normal (it happens). Another thing to consider is power. I don't know how hot it is where you are but it's boiling here in NYC and I think the power grid is being over-loaded with AC use, it's bound to affect some electrical performance...

Todd

22. Todd Fredericks

MagicAlex,

Yes, I agree that we should view modern players more like a computer rather than what we were used to. When my DVD player freezes when it has difficulty reading a disc (once in a blue moon) the only remedy seems to be powering down (like a PC). Glitches happen...

Todd

P.S. Ron, I think you're C555ES should be fine. It most likely froze because of a glitch reading the TOC, it happens...

23. Ronflugelguy

Thathanks guys, this happened just before I had to go to work, so I did'nt have time to throughly check it out. However, no the disc plays. Due to the fact that the tray wouldn't release until I powered off the unit, you're probably right. Thanks again, Ron.

24. Todd Fredericks

Great, Ron! I can totally relate with what you went through. Sometimes new hardware just gets us nervous when these things happen, especially when we're out the door to work. I'm sure it's okay...

Todd

25. Ronflugelguy

The 555 does not like this one disc!

Came back home and the same disc started having probs. again! But no other disc has probs. So it seems this Reference Recordings disc of Fred Fennell and the Dallas Wind Symphony "Beachcomber", is not liked by my machine, but RRs others seem to do ok..........:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.