Tom Cruise stars in impassioned PSA against motion smoothing

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amoergosum, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I have the STW50 .. Can't find it in advanced settings. Have intelligent Frame creation :Off..film Cadence Detection off. Side Panel -High ...don't know if that should be off. Side Panel is set to high to prevent " image retention " would that be the one ?

2. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Good god, certainly not trivial.

It depends on what you watch, if you want to watch and actual movie, shot at 24 fps, the smoothing totally destroys the look of the film. It becomes something else. Personally, I can't stand it.

If you watch TV shows and sports, then you won't notice its on, so in that case trivial would be a good adjective.

I can certainly understand people in the movie industry up in arms about this, because it destroys the look of their product. Remember the uproar about colorizing? Same basic thing.

mikeyt, bopdd and uzn007 like this.
  3. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I can see why the movie industry is concerned about this, but I actually got a kick out of watching some old movies this way. It was almost like watching the films as a stage play, and it made old movies look like they were filmed last week, albeit if they had been shot on videotape. But who knows what I was smoking.

chilinvilin and Laservampire like this.
  4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

LCD screens only. Plasmas don't "need" it since they do not have the artifacts that motion smoothing is intended to address.

Doug Sclar and alexpop like this.
  5. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Because those who don't know any better think it looks "clearer." It's certainly sharper, but not in a good way. Then again, these are the same people who think 4:3 shows should be "stretched" to fill the whole screen.

mikeyt and uzn007 like this.
  6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

It's not just a 4K thing, but as I recall, it didn't really come around until a few years ago (5 or 6?) after plasma TVs had pretty much been superseded by LCD and LED sets.

alexpop likes this.
  7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I don't understand this. It was created to make sports look smoother, AFAIK. What are the artifacts that LCD TVs introduce?

8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

It drove me crazy trying to get it off someone's brand new TV this year. I didn't know what in the world it was until someone helped me out here:

Staying 4x3 for as long as I can

chacha likes this.
  9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Image stuttering during horizontal motion like scrolling text and fast panning cameras - both common when watching sports.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  10. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Actually I just checked and I have the ST-50.

On the remote push "Menu", then select "Picture" then "Advanced Picture". You'll see "Motion Smoother" in that section, which I set to off.

alexpop likes this.
  11. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Don't you just hate it when you go to someone's house and they are watching a 4:3 image stretched to fill the screen of their rectangle TV? Makes the image look like a rolling pin stretched out the faces.
    How can people stand this? I will say something like "This program were watching isn't filmed in widescreen that's why people's faces looked stretched". They often look at me like I have spoken some foreign language to them.
    They often will keep watching the stretched image because it fills the screen of a TV they paid $$$'s for. It's like if the real estate isn't being used on the screen then they aren't getting their monies worth.
    :crazy:
    I don't hang with these kinds of people for too long.

12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Make that pretty much everyone I know.
    Can't blame them. If you're not a tech or movie person who reads about this stuff, why should you even know or care if you don’t notice?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  13. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I never knew what this feature was for sure until I saw it a friend's house. He has a big flat screen and he was watching Rogue One. It looked weird! It looked like it was filmed with a camcorder or something. I was shocked. I asked him what was up with the picture - it looked like something was different about the movie and that I don't remember the movie looking like that. He told me it was hi def and that's why it looked like that.
    I left it at that but I went away knowing something was wrong with the image somewhere. I seriously thought something was wrong with his TV.

DHamilton and reapers like this.
  14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

As a videophile I'm glad Tom Cruise made this PSA.
    My parents couldn't tell a difference between the VCR copy of Airplane! vs the Blu Ray.
    Their friends came over to watch it on the VCR and they were making comments......and my parents were oblivious.
    I notice it and I do know that most people are clueless about it.

Rhett likes this.
  15. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I don't consider myself a videophile but I've always known what a movie image looks like versus a local TV new broadcast. Both look night and day. And that goes for TV shows vs. movies - though in 2018 that gap seems to be narrowing on what I've seen.
    But regardless - if I had a TV like that and my movie didn't look like I know it's supposed to look - I would look into the settings and try switching things around to get that image I know.
    I can't figure out why other people can't see that too and would want the same. But that's people for you!

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

one mans passion is another man's joke...Go Tom.

Doug Sclar, budwhite and Jacob29 like this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No, that's not the case - see below.
    The reason they do it is because 24fps film can appear choppy or stutter-y when the camera pans horizontally across a scene. This is related to the limited film framerate and the nature of TV display technology (be it plasma or LCD).

I'm sure there would have been many complaints about motion choppiness in the old days, so they came up with frame interpolation (motion smoothing) to try to fix the problem. Of course if you overdo it, you get the soap opera effect which is just as objectionable. Rather than having just an on/off setting, many TVs have a range of values from Off,Lo,Mid,Hi and often choosing the lowest possible setting can help with film judder while not inducting seasickness (the efficacy varies between manufacturers and models).

BGLeduc and uzn007 like this.
  18. Michael

because they know how to enjoy "the story" instead of the technical aspects...videophiles and audiophiles are not NORMAL on the other side of the wall...

budwhite and longdist01 like this.
  19. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I'd say 98 out of 100 people can tell the difference between a video on VHS vs the same video on DVD or Blu Ray. The 2 that don't are my parents.

BZync, DHamilton, reapers and 2 others like this.
  20. Michael

maybeso, but those 98% may not care...they just enjoy the movie regardless...that's what I meant...

budwhite likes this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

What IS it with all these stars and celebrities sticking their privilaged noses in and speaking out for their own personal causes, as if WE'RE supposed to care about THEIR issues ...! :realmad:

( :bdance::D )

22. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

That's true - but I've always asked this question 'doesn't image clarity mean anything to you?' And for me the answer is yes.

Linger63, longdist01 and Michael like this.
  23. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

This misses the point by a rather wide margin. Someone might enjoy listening to 33s at 45rpm, but that doesn't mean bands shouldn't speak out against the practice if it becomes prolific. Motion smoothing (when used to excess) butchers movies in a way that no VHS tape ever can. It completely changes the tone of the film itself, as well as the dynamic of certain performances. Maybe it doesn't bother some people, but those people should literally never be listened to when it comes to judging movies because they have no idea what they're talking about. It's also far worse than someone watching a movie at the wrong screen ratio.

24. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

If you ever want hell, watch something that been converted to NTSC with a 3-2 pulldown with motion smoothing on.

Any panning shots will now have subtle "pauses" in them and it will make you want to hurl.

DHamilton and Rhett like this.
  25. Michael

me too...but we're here together most like minded. : )

Rhett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.