Tom Petty - 1950 - 2017 RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Yes I feel the same way. Miss Petty very much....he was my favorite.

John Grimes, Hep Alien and CCrider92 like this.
  2. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

You will excellent vinyl

Opeth and Hep Alien like this.
  3. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Hypnotic Eye rates very high with me as well great LP a classic

ralphk, Complier, bartels76 and 7 others like this.
  4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It's my third favorite TP album only behind Torpedos and Wildflowers

5. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

For those of you on the West Coast (in particular Orange County, CA), Mike Campbell's band The Dirty Knobs have announced their first performance of 2018. The Dirty Knobs will be performing as part of the annual NAMM/Duesenberg event at the Imperial Ball on January 27, 2018. A portion of the proceeds will go to support Campbell's TazzyFund charity which rescues and sponsors dogs that need costly medical care.

The official announcement can be found on The Dirty Knobs' website: The Dirty Knobs | Dirtiest Band in the Land

Tickets can be purchased directly through the Imperial Ball website:

Home

VIA

https://events.admitoneproducts.com/?event_id=330718

6. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

Wow, The Dirty Knobs is a horrendous name! I can only assume that the North American definition differs from the UK one (or, I hope so at least!)

budwhite likes this.
  7. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

See, Tom woulda put the smackdown on using that name.

melstapler likes this.
  8. twistandshout

I hope there will be some DVD or Blu Ray of live concerts from Petty....there is a great one on youtube from 1991 "Take the Highway". This is the best live concert I've seen - EVER. Petty singing "Runnin Down a Dream" was the best. He was at his prime right there. .....and Pack up the Plantation concert from 1985 was great too. These will hopefully be on DVD or Blu Ray sometime soon....fans would love to see more books, DVDs, etc....I certainly would. Petty was the greatest singer, songwriter and an even better person. I miss him greatly.

9. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I put Wildflowers on the other night, and had She’s The One lined up to follow. By the time I got to “Wake Up Time” I was so depressed at the utter loss, I just let it end and sat in silence for about 20 minutes.

Having a rough time accepting this.

10. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I am not even the biggest Petty fan but I have to admit seeing this headline still throws me everytime I see it. Its still not real.

CCrider92 and budwhite like this.
  11. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

I miss Tom as well. He was great in every way. I don't know why or how he died, but he will always cherished.

12. Freeman 024

Freeman 024 Forum Resident

Wildflowers isn't exactly the most upbeat album. I know a lot of Petty fans love it, but if you don't want to be depressed by the end of the album, you're probably better off putting on Full Moon Fever or Damn The Torpedoes.

John Grimes and Hep Alien like this.
  13. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I get that, but it's my and my wife's favorite Petty album. My favorite Petty track of all is "Mary Jane's Last Dance" and I get "verklempt" hearing that as well. With time it'll pass, I'm sure. The thing is, his passing was totally unexpected. That's why, for instance, Walter Becker's death hasn't affected me as much. I was expecting that one.

John Grimes, CCrider92 and Hep Alien like this.
  14. Freeman 024

Freeman 024 Forum Resident

I have been affected by Tom Petty's death, too, in a way that has taken me off-guard and a way that most celebrity deaths have not affected me. There hasn't been a day since he passed that I have not listened to his music.

15. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Petty's music has been a big part of my life since around 1985. It's the first time that the death of someone I never met felt like a real bereavement.

16. twistandshout

I can understand how you feel. I grew up with his music....and miss him more than any other entertainer.

Efus and CCrider92 like this.
  17. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench and Steve Ferrone to be among the musicians taking part in the 5th Annual Light Up The Blues Concert for Autism Speaks.

HOLLYWOOD, CA, JANUARY 17, 2018: Neil Young, Stephen Stills, Burt Bacharach, Judy Collins, Sheryl Crow, Chris Stills, Oliver Stills, Benmont Tench, Mike Campbell, Steve Ferrone, and emcee Jack Black, plus many special guests, will return to Los Angeles on Saturday, April 21 at the Dolby Theatre for the 5th Annual Light Up The Blues Concert—An Evening of Music to Benefit Autism Speaks, the world’s largest autism science and advocacy organization. Hosted once again by Kristen and Stephen Stills, the event will also feature performances by three artists with autism. Produced by Nederlander Concerts, the benefit concert will begin at 7:30 P.M.

Tickets will go on sale this Friday (January 19, 2018) at 10:00 AM through Ticketmaster at the following link:

Tickets | Light Up The Blues Benefit - Hollywood, CA at Ticketmaster

AUTHOR'S NOTE
    : It should be noted that while some outlets are touting this event as a Heartbreakers reunion w/o Petty, there has been no independent confirmation as of this writing as to what exactly will constitute The Heartbreakers' involvement in this show. Campbell has fronted his own band, The Dirty Knobs for many years now and from what I understand Benmont Tench is also interested in putting together a band of his own for a run of shows this year. There is also the distinct possibility that they could form part the "house band" that will be used to back up other artist's on the bill. Stay Tuned!

Hep Alien, budwhite and Bonddm like this.
  18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I thought I read somewhere that Plantation won't get released because of the rebel flag background which Petty felt was wrong.

19. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Plantation has absolutely no shot of getting released on DVD/Blu-Ray from where I stand unless the band chooses to excise the performance of "Rebels" in it's entirety. Petty completely and totally disavowed any association with the Confederate flag both in print as well as having it removed from the gatefold of the PUTP vinyl remaster.

20. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

“Our family sat together this morning with the Medical Examiner – Coroner’s office and we were informed of their final analysis that Tom Petty passed away due to an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications.

Unfortunately Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip.

Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury.

On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication.

We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident.

As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications.

On a positive note we now know for certain he went painlessly and beautifully exhausted after doing what he loved the most, for one last time, performing live with his unmatchable rock band for his loyal fans on the biggest tour of his 40 plus year career. He was extremely proud of that achievement in the days before he passed.

We continue to mourn with you and marvel at Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' incredible positive impact on music and the world. And we thank you all for your love and support over the last months.

Thank you also for respecting the memory of a man who was truly great during his time on this planet both publicly and privately.

We would be grateful if you could respect the privacy of the entire Heartbreaker family during this difficult time.”

Dana Petty and Adria Petty

21. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Poor old Tom, that's dreadful.

22. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Somewhat expected I gotta say.
    Going to put on the Live anthology tonight.

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

John Grimes and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

That's pretty sad. If only he got his knee and hip fixed this might not have happened.

RIP

25. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Sad sad news. Another downside for recovering addicts is they have a high tolorence for opioids, that has the effect of making it very difficult to treat them for pain. The doses they require to get the needed relief are dangerously high. Combined with the addictive tendencies they have already shown it is a recipe for disaster.

Fentanyl is killing people in droves and it’s pouring into the country. My understanding is illegal Fentanyl is made in China and is smuggled into the Countrt via Mexico.

It’s so toxic that cops have to care an antidote kit with them at all times because even a trace amount of pure Fentanyl powder on their skin will rapidly kill them. That is not a substance to be trifled with in any form.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.