Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits (vinyl) coming in July*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Addict, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was released on vinyl in '93, but no US press

Sean and Shak Cohen like this.
  2. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

I wouldn't say my memory is selective. Go down to any retail store selling vinyl, and you will see how high the prices can go. And unfortunately, how low they go. I've noticed a bar around 30EUR here.

If the price for this set has dropped to $25, that's great. But my post was in reaction to its initial asking price, which I found to be unfair and disproportionate to the product at hand. That release is worth approximately $3 on CD. I don't see why it's suddenly worth $50 because it's been pressed on vinyl.

Clearly, $25 is more reasonable.

mick_sh likes this.
  3. The7thStranger

See my recent post.

4. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

On the fence about this one. It looks like a good set but I'm also thinking about the expected 40th anniversary reissues coming down the road, potentially later this year.

jon9091 likes this.
  5. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

It's worth $3 on CD because there's about 10 million of them floating around.
    If the original vinyl sold even 1/300th of that amount, I'd be surprised.
    For an example of a vinyl equivalent, there's plenty of Johnny Mathis, Herb Alpert, and Mitch Miller records that aren't even worth $3 for a boxful of vinyl. It's all supply-and-demand.
    In 1978 dollars this 2LP is selling for $6.99. Considering Tom Petty got angry a few years later when his label tried to charge $9.99 for a single record... I'd say $6.99 (AKA $25 now) is a pretty great price. Don't let the fact that the CD is now so worthless it's selling for the equivalent of a 7" single (AKA 79 cents in 1978 dollars) confuse you.

marcb, ShallowMemory, Sean and 2 others like this.
  6. Vinyl Addict

$3 is a used CD price from a CD that was released in the 90s. How can you compare that to a new 2LP price?

markshan, marcb, FashionBoy and 2 others like this.
  7. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I've got a summer cold - so I can't make any serious sound judgements.
    But it's quiet and pressed well.
    Crankable. I can't imagine anyone would be disappointed - recommended.

8. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Mary Janes Last Dance is worth the price of admission for this one. At least for me it is. Only way to get it on vinyl right now. Unless they release a deluxe edition of Wildflowers later on.

I prefer Petty's late 80's to mid 90's releases though. I already have Full Moon Fever on vinyl. If they reissue Wildflowers and Into the Great Wide Open, along with my preorder of Greatest Hits, I should be set with all the Petty I need for a while.

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Amazon's base prices are $29.99 for the vinyl and $8.99 for the CD. That's what the going rate for these products is (pretty reasonable for a double). You seem to want a brand new pair of blue jeans, but you only want to pay as much as a pair of sweat pants...after all, they're both pants. Doesn't work that way.

John Grimes, Sean and Vinyl Addict like this.
  10. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

^ Yup. There's probably 10-15 times MORE material used to make a double record vs a single CD.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  11. The7thStranger

Amazon had it up for $4.99 for a while, actually. Again, $5 to $50... I see no justification in price. If you disagree, I won't lose sleep over it.

12. The7thStranger

But that is the world we live in.

13. jon9091

I haven't seen it for $50 anywhere.

14. The7thStranger

That was the price it was initially listed at. My reaction was based on that initial price listed on Amazon.

15. mojoman2802

mojoman2802 Sometimes always..

Got mine from amazonuk. Sturdy packaging, CB in the dead wax too!

Sounds great on the first side but jumping straight to the fourth side now for 'Mary Jane's Last Dance' cos I've been waiting years to hear this one on vinyl.

It's good

16. jon9091

Perhaps you were looking at the imported copy listed on the US site, but obviously....that's not the price. And it never was the price on Amazon UK.
    I'm curious...you mention you live in EUR. So, why are you getting your prices from Amazon US?

17. The7thStranger

I took it from the very first post of this thread.

"Amazon US wants $48."

And I found that price to be ridiculous. And if that were still the price, I would still think that.

18. wheatthin

wheatthin Forum Resident

Honestly, anymore for me it feels like the chances are always high that there will be some type of problem buying new vinyl.

Each of them was from a different store. Both discs in each set had the same dead wax info and both had identical labels (A/B). Anyone else purchase from B&N with different luck?

John Bliss and Vinyl Addict like this.
  19. jon9091

Well.....it's all just a fad as far as your concerned anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sean and Vinyl Addict like this.
  20. Vinyl Addict

I see no justification in continuing this conversation.

21. The7thStranger

:shh:

I still have no idea what you guys got so up in arms about.

22. 6l6klipsch

6l6klipsch Forum Resident

Am I going crazy... or is there a lyric change on MJLD on this release at "one more time to ease the pain"? Also, mine is flat and quiet, with pretty good sound, but I have a skip at the beginning of "Learning to Fly". Hoping it just needs a cleaning.

izombie73 likes this.
  23. KALEX

KALEX Forum Resident

Clanceman and mayoski like this.
  24. Andy Boyd

Andy Boyd Forum Resident

I noticed an odd deadwax redaction on all four sides. The machine stamped numbers are heavily scribbled out. Has to be some sort of a story there, FWIW.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  25. tak_a_tak

tak_a_tak Active Member

Purchased mine at B&N today in Indianapolis, no issues. Copy has proper discs. Hope you get it squared away, man.

John Bliss and wheatthin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.