Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Live at the Fillmore 1997 (Including 4 x CD, 6 x LP Deluxe Sets)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aggie87, Feb 15, 2022.

1. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

OR...Maybe neither were grumpy at all and it's just speculation based on one guy on the internet remembering what he thought their face looked like at a concert he saw 25 years ago

ARK, supermd, Sean and 7 others like this.
  2. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

"Smile, Mikey. You look so much prettier (and less threatening) when you smile!" :laugh:

3. depp91

depp91 Forum Resident

Thanks a lot, McCool. A partial "Cabin Down Below" (which absolutely smokes!) was broadcast as well on February 1st.
    So another performance from the Rock Blocks made it to "Live Anthology": "Friend Of The Devil" from February 3rd. Now I wonder whether we'll get an alternate, acoustic performance on the new set. The song was also performed on February 1st.

Hep Alien, ARK, Sean and 2 others like this.
  4. jrice

jrice Senior Member

The happiest moments of my life are on stage, yet in every photo and video I look miserable. Even when I think I have been smiling and connecting with the crowd!

ARK, WhatDoIKnow, supermd and 4 others like this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Will the forthcoming set does anyone know or have a list as the which show each track comes from? I tried the official site but gave up.
    A bit off topic but my favourite TP and Heartbreakers album has always been the live Plantation one. I am no expert on the album or the recordings. Was this set ever considered for an archival type upgrade?

J_D__ and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Amazon UK has the 3LP for £48 and the 6LP for £180. Frankly, if that ludicrous price for the deluxe holds I’ll just “acquire” the hi-res digital and wait for a substantial drop. With the cost of some boxsets now, many are being priced out and the reality is we’ll turn to unscrupulous methods to get the music for free. Written by someone who owns nearly 3,000 records and CDs.

OneLife likes this.
  7. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Tom Petty didn't care for that particular tour. He didn't like the horn arrangements or the female backing vocalists. While I don't have the biography handy I believe he mentioned to Dr. Warren Zanes, that all the bells and whistles that occurred on that particular tour just "turned up" without much forethought to it. I do know that at least in part the impetus for "The Live Anthology" was the fact that TP felt that "Pack Up The Plantation Live!" was a poor representation to have on the market as far as what Tom Petty/Heartbreakers were capable of doing on stage. So without sounding flippant, my feeling is that at this stage just be happy you can purchase that album on the market.

Hep Alien, ARK, Flaming Torch and 2 others like this.
  8. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

+1, Last night I was listening to the live songs from that tour not included on Pack Up The Plantation. “Don’t Come Around Here” did suffer from horn arrangements and female singers. I always wondered why it wasn’t included on PUTP but, now I think I know why.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

On the Plantation video release, they do a fantastic cover of "Little Bit O' Soul" that, as far as I know appears nowhere else.

I see it's not on the Fillmore release, was it done at any of the Fillmore shows?

10. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

No. Tom Petty/Heartbreakers cover of The Music Explosion's "Little Bit O' Soul" was only performed live in the early-mid eighties. The live performance which you reference was however officially released as the b-side to "All Mixed Up" in 1987:

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - All Mixed Up

Hep Alien, ARK, josegerdes and 5 others like this.
  11. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

Flaming Torch likes this.
  12. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

Definitely in for the CD set.

Part of me wishes it was much more comprehensive but I'm not sure how affordable a complete set would be!

supernaut, J_D__ and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

Do you think they will ever assemble all of the random live B-Sides into a album?

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Subjectively I don't. But that would only be an opinion based upon the fact that there aren't all that many unique b-sides left that haven't been collated as part of the various Tom Petty/Heartbreakers box sets that are already available on the market and all of those collections cast a much wider net in terms of scope that just curating flip sides of singles. To that end, a fair amount of that content has found it's way to SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" where is slotted into the rotation from time to time.

15. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

Does anyone have a good list of these random bsides, compilation tracks, and various oddities?

16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

My favorite Petty releases are the “Kiss My Amps” albums. Any chance for volume III?

17. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Do we know if every track on this box set will be unreleased? Or will there be some overlap with tracks that can be found on The Live Anthology/An American Treasure/Wildflowers and All the Rest?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Pop Market daily deal today. About $150 for the 6 LP. OK, I’m in.

Kevin j likes this.
  19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

You don't have to acquire the HD download "unscrupulously". You will undoubtedly get a chance to actually pay for it on release day via prostudiomasters or HDtrscks and probably w a 20%coupon as well. Why advertise being unscrupulous just because you don't think the vinyl is at a fair price?

ARK, milankey, davenav and 2 others like this.
  20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Cool…if you don’t like the price then just steal it. I am sure Steve would be proud to have such upstanding members.

ARK, jonj, davenav and 3 others like this.
  21. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

I'm on fence between 4CD Box + 3LP set or just ordering 6LP from TP site and getting digital downloads. While having all both analog and digital the 3 LP looks to be a nice selection of must haves. Decisions decisions...!

22. SurrenderToTheRhythm

SurrenderToTheRhythm Forum Resident

Will have to go 6LP for this one. Howie is my favourite heartbreaker, so this new set will be just loaded with amazing new performances to hear those perfect harmonies again. Can’t wait, dig the artwork too!

23. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

I ended up canceling my deluxe CD order and going with the 6 LP instead. You only live once, I guess.

24. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

I enjoyed that series as well. Those were Record Store Day releases and along with being issued to support independent record shops, they afforded Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fans an opportunity to hear what the band had been playing on the road, selections that at the time were usually only made available to members of the official fan club. As far as whether or not the series will progress in the future? Please reference post #664 as that would be subjective speculation on my part. To that end, I hope y'all can appreciate that going forward I'm going to refrain from addressing matters which I feel delve into the "rumor and innuendo" side of things. There are a myriad of reasons for this but in regards to this thread specifically, while I appreciate the continued interest (and I indeed too have a great deal of interest in these matters!) I'd rather keep my end of the discussion on point in regards to what is known to be factual as of this date in regards to Tom Petty/Heartbreakers and any/all archival releases.

25. Sipuncula

Sipuncula Forum Resident

Oh just great. I'll spend the rest of my life wishing I had those 3 extra LPs. I've been buying way too many records the last couple of years and decided I needed to slow it down. The one rule I had is that I kept it to a handful of core artists I really really like but got then could get everything in the catalog (Dylan's in that category, so that set me back some). So I ventured out a little into Tom Petty awhile back (not originally in that core group, thus breaking my own rule) then saw this, compromised, and got the 3LP. Should have just gone for the whole set. Or none!

Bananas&blow likes this.