Tom Petty - "Finding Wildflowers" 2 LP & 1 CD releases (Due May 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Mar 4, 2021.

1. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I wonder if people who defend this also cheat and betray their friends and family when dealing with them...

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Maybe he means the alternative Wildflowers (Finding Wildflowers), which in most cases are very similar to the finished tracks.

3. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I have paid almost 200 hundreds euros, including the Import fees for exclusive contents instead of maybe 40-50 Euros for all the 5 cds if I had known before of a later release of the fifth cd. This was an authentic rip off.

zobalob, idledreamer, supermd and 3 others like this.
  4. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

I too ordered from the TP site on March 4. On April 15 they sent me an email with a USPS tracking number. It is supposed to arrive on 4/21. I've had no problems with the TP site. Maybe your email went to spam.

DarkSideOfTheMoo and spacedyed like this.
  5. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I don’t what people are complaining about... my gold vinyl copy from the Petty store was autographed by Tom Petty!!!!

(kidding!)

6. spacedyed

spacedyed Forum Resident

Same. Mine was delivered yesterday from TP.com. The site even says the gold version was going to be released on April 16 through TP.com and selected indie retailers + streaming. The standard black edition comes out in May.

7. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Wouldn't it be something if the black version turns out to be the rare version.

ARK and 4-2-7 like this.
  8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I feel that way about McCartney III. This is actually the case for Moody Blue by Elvis.

The Elephant Man and Hep Alien like this.
  9. Got an email Sunday night (4/18 )saying the items will be shipped out April 19.

10. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Figures, they told me I had the only autographed one. At least I got the red vinyl one.

The Elephant Man likes this.
  11. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Been enjoying the music on this CD. However, they went really cheap with the CD packaging. Just a cardboard foldout. I received Tomahawk's new album in the same package from amazon and they had a simple but sturdier digipack design (no booklet, cardboard with plastic holder for CD). So Warner Bros can't do a proper digipack but an indie label like Ipecac can? I almost feel like throwing it out and just keep Finding Flowers CD in my 4 disc TP Wildflowers set.

12. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

It is hard to deny that sometimes the smaller labels pay more attention to smaller details than the big mega-conglomerates... :shh:

13. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

At the same time I ordered Finding Wildflowers, I also ordered Analog Africa’s Edo Funk Explosion which came packaged in a digipak case with a lavishly illustrated 36 page booklet, all in a nice slipcase. Guess which one was $1 more...

Greenalishi and LonesomeDayBlues like this.
  14. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

That alternate Cabin Down Below (track 3) is awesome.

15. Alright4now

I bought the deluxe edition of the boxed set and have listened to all 7 LPs. A lot. A whole heck of a lot. My Finding Wildflowers just arrived this week and I gave it a first spin last night. What a disappointment! I was hoping that the differences would be more stark, but they're, for the most part, not.

I love the TP demos. I obviously love the remastered LP. The live discs cook. I don't see myself revisiting the 2 Finding Wildflowers discs much. Oh well!

Peja11 likes this.
  16. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Agreed. "You Saw Me Comin'" was worth the cost of admission for me. Benmont is stellar on "Crawlin' Back To You". It's my new go-to version. After that, like you, I won't be drawn back to the other alternate takes.

17. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

"Ok, Ringo, you count it off..." priceless! :agree:

Peja11 and Alright4now like this.
  18. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Well, for me anyway, I think I made the right choice with going with the 4 disc set when it came out, as opposed to the Super Deluxe 5CD set.

I’ve listened to the standalone Finding Wildflowers 3-4 times now, and as good as it is, I think it will be the least played disc of my (now) 5CD set of “Wildflowers & All The Rest”. The music is great, but the majority of these earlier takes do not sound *that* much different from the originally released tracks on the album. For the ones that do have noticeable differences, I enjoy those differences very much, though.
    It is also nice to finally have the single version of “Girl On LSD” available on CD again, and I am happy to add the song “You Saw Me Comin’” to my collection.

But as I said, I think the other discs in this set will probably get more playtime from me:

“All The Rest” - definitely. This is like a long lost album, with a few of the songs just as good as anything on the “Wallflowers” LP, and I am a big fan of the album. Possibly in my top 25 albums of all-time, by anyone.

Home Demos - OK, so maybe this disc won’t be played too, too often, but it is an amazing listen, artistically and sonically.

Live - over an hour of one of the great live bands playing mostly all “Wildflowers” songs through the years?
    Yeah, I can see this getting more play than “Finding Wildflowers” too.

So for about $50, I’ve got all the music, and couldn’t be happier. I do truly feel for those that bought the 5 disc set and feel duped. That was truly a d%*k move.

19. Alright4now

This is a fun game. If we're gonna rank em:

1. Wildflowers Proper
    2. Home Demos
    3. All the Rest
    4. Live
    5. Finding da Flowers

I'm a sucker for these home demos.

20. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Amazon UK have just strangely delayed my order to 31st December so I've cancelled. I'll pick it up somewhere else.

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Looks like they sold out and there is a delayed repress. Likely you won't have to wait more than 3 months or so. Of course other suppliers may still have stock. Is it possible this is also 'limited'. Even if they were going to crap on buyers of the 9 LP box they could have waited a year or two before putting this out. The main mistake they made initially was making the big box only available to independent stores in the USA. Why not indies in UK and elsewhere? There would then be no need for this release - I don't remember a demos /alt versions disc from any box set ever getting a regular release outside limited RSD vinyl and that after a good time gap.

Rob6899 likes this.
  22. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Same here....

Rob6899 likes this.
  23. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

In celebration of tomorrow's [05/07/21] release of the standalone black vinyl pressing of "Finding Wildflowers", Tom Petty/Heartbreakers have debuted a brand new music video for "Drivin' Down To Georgia" featuring never-before seen onstage and behind-the-scenes footage captured by Martyn Atkins during the legendary 1995 "Dogs With Wings" tour!

"Finding Wildflowers" is a sixteen track programme which expands upon the "Wildflowers" project by presenting sixteen alternative studio arrangements of "Wildflowers" selections previously available only through the deluxe editions of "Wildflowers And All The Rest". Included among the sixteen tracks is the highly sought after b-side "Girl On LSD", a studio take of "Drivin' Down To Georgia" previously available only as a live performance on 2009's "The Live Anthology" and the recently issued single "You Saw Me Comin'".

TRACK LISTING

01. A Higher Place [alternative version]
    02. Hard On Me [alternative version]
    03. Cabin Down Below [alternative version]
    04. Crawling Back To You [alternative version]
    05. Only A Broken Heart [alternative version]*
    06. Drivin' Down To Georgia [previously unreleased studio arrangement]
    07. You Wreck Me [alternative version]
    08. It's Good To Be King [alternative version]
    09. House In The Woods [alternative version]
    10. Honey Bee [alternative version]
    11. Girl On LSD [previously issued as b-side to "You Don't Know How It Feels"]
    12. Cabin Down Below [acoustic version]*
    13. Wildflowers [alternative version]
    14. Don't Fade On Me [alternative version]**
    15. Wake Up Time [alternative version]**
    16. You Saw Me Comin' [previously unreleased song]

*previously issued as the b-side to "You Wreck Me" [1994]
    **previously issued on "An American Treasure [2018]

Linkage
    :
    Official Website: www.tompetty.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/tompetty?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
    Facebook: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

24. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Is the "Girl On LSD" version on this release the same new mix from the Wildflowers box set or the original b-side mix?

25. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

It's the remix by Ryan Ulyate as featured on the box set "Wildflowers And All The Rest".

Also I neglected to include the credits for the "Drivin' Down To Georgia" music video in my last posting. Here they are:

CREDITS:
    Director: Alison Tavel
    Editor: Max Cutrone
    Cinematographer: Max Cutrone
    Producer: Petty Legacy, LLC
    Graphics: Deren Ney
    Archival footage provided by Martyn Atkins & Ron Blair

FrankieFontaine likes this.