Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: 2019 - 2023 Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Jan 11, 2019.

1. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Thanks as always McCool!!!

2. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

So, any new/unreleased studio releases?

3. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

He has his detractors, but I absolutely love Ferrone’s playing on this version.

Tim 2, Blue Sky and J_D__ like this.
  4. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

There are also a heap of “Unchained” outtakes on Disc 2 of the “Unearthed” box set, this being one of ‘em.

Unearthed (Johnny Cash album) - Wikipedia

Blue Sky and Hep Alien like this.
  5. livin´thing68

livin´thing68 Forum Resident

6. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just push it forward one week, same time-same station. Next Wednesday [2020-08-05], SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" will be premiering an unreleased Tom Petty song at 10 AM ET/7 AM PT.

Sean, supermd, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  7. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Thank you! Hopefully it’s from The “upcoming” Wildflowers release!!

supermd likes this.
  8. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’m fine with Steve but, prefer the swing style of Stan.

9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I have a strange feeling it won’t be from Wildflowers. No facts to back up my feelings but, this Wildflowers project has been difficult.

Blue Sky and wiseblood like this.
  10. JayB

JayB Senior Member

You may be right. "Difficult" is an understatement unfortunately..

Blue Sky and wiseblood like this.
  11. McCool

[​IMG]
    - To begin with as I'm sure many of you are well aware of prior to the pandemic The Dirty Knobs were scheduled to release their debut album entitled "Wreckless Abandon" and begin a cross-country tour to support it. Unfortunately the tour is all but certain to be pushed back to some undetermined date in the future, but the album is still scheduled to be issued to market on 2020-09-18. It remains to be seen how Mike Campbell will promote the record as he's been extremely active on his social media accounts since the pandemic hit performing informal versions of Tom Petty/Heartbreakers classics as well as some his favorite covers of other artists' material. If you haven't checked out Mike Campbell's Facebook page in recent months, I'd encourage you to do so as his informal jam sessions are a nice sidecar to Tom Petty's award winning "Buried Treasure" radio series as Campbell takes you through some of his favorite rock 'n' roll memories.
    [​IMG]
    - Elsewhere Stan Lynch has teamed up with Dan Baird, formerly of the Georgia Satellites and the duo has issued an album under the name, "The Chefs". The album is entitled "Heated And Treated" and is available now through digital media outlets. Dan and Stan recently conducted an interview promoting the album for SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" and also gave an interview to Matt Wardlaw of Ultimate Classic Rock which can be read here: Dan Baird and Stan Lynch Team Up for New LP: Interview
    [​IMG]
    - The Audible installment of Paul Zollo's book "Conversations With Tom Petty" is now available for purchase through the digital media platform and to celebrate, Zollo is sharing with Tom Petty fans the portion of his book which would ultimately serve as somewhat of an addendum to the Tom Petty story as it stood in 2005 and that is Petty's appraisal of his then unreleased third solo LP "Highway Companion". Zollo has revealed that it was Petty himself who was able to convince his publisher to include the addendum in the book while pressing against the deadline for publication. Zollo has included the first portion of Tom Petty's appraisal of "Highway Companion" on the American Songwriter website with further installments to follow: Behind the Album: 'Highway Companion' by Tom Petty, Part One « American Songwriter

Linkage:

Mike Campbell On Facebook: Mike Campbell

"Heated And Treated" by The Chefs [Stan Lynch And Dan Baird] is now available for order through Dan Baird's website: Dan Baird

"Conversations With Tom Petty" by Paul Zollo inclusive of new content added for the republication in 2020 is now available through Audible
    : Conversations with Tom Petty (Expanded Edition)

Paul Zollo has also shared with fans one of his unique work tapes from his archives. These tapes which the author utilized in writing the book "Conversations With Tom Petty" contain dialog between Zollo and Tom Petty recorded in 2004/2005 as Zollo's book was being written. In this excerpt Tom Petty speaks about how a song's melody ultimately is what ends up defining the song itself:

bootbox, Sean, Syd Avett and 8 others like this.
  12. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Thanks!!

Totally unaware of the fb page and all that is served up.

Scrolled down, lo & behold, Jug Band Music!

My day was made!

13. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

As an aside, for your musical knowledge and delectation there was a post punk band called The Chefs, their singer was called Helen McCookerybook!

[​IMG]

richierichie likes this.
  14. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Interesting, didn't know that. :righton:

15. veon

veon Forum Resident

Any word on what the unreleased song will be or am I going to have to painstakingly wait another 38 minutes?

16. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  17. McCool

18. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

19. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Not that this is new, just came across it on a YouTube browse. It's a nice excerpt from the Runnin' Down a Dream documentary that has Tom telling the story of writing The Waiting ("don't play that anymore") and an excerpt of a TV appearance (the song always worked best when they started it off with TP playing and singing the first verse and chorus alone) and then Eddie Vedder being interviewed and performing the song with the band (and I think he does a great job). I am sure most people will have seen this before. It's a nice little reminder of Tom's genius. As if we needed it.

20. McCool

Cooking With Benmont and Alice Tench courtesy of Reverb's Quarantine Kitchen:

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

My buddy was listening to the Petty channel on XM earlier and they teased an announcement for this coming Thursday at 9am.

Alan57 likes this.
  22. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

My understanding is that it is related to The Dirty Knobs.

23. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Over the weekend I responded to a tweet along the lines of, name a avourite album largely ignored by the public and the critics And I replied with Long after Dark, noting how the artist(s) also sometimes, even more crucially, dismiss their work. I know Benmont is active on social media so addd him in. He responded “I LOVE that album!” I replied citing Between Two Worlds as a song almost universally ignored. He replied they rehearsed it once for the last tour and never played it again. But said “it was incredible”. Can you imagine? Such a fantastic song. And unlike anything else they ever recorded I reckon. A real lost gem.

The Killer, laf848, Hep Alien and 4 others like this.
  24. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Great album, unfortunately the cover looked like a cutout ready to happen.

25. McCool

Well it's interesting you mention that because the original title for the LP was going to be "Between Two Worlds" and the cover slick for the record wasn't going to feature Tom Petty/Heartbreakers at all. I used to have a really nice image of it somewhere that has gone walkabout but you can see it briefly in Cameron Crowe's 1982 documentary "Heartbreakers Beach Party". It features a bunch of late nineteen fifties/early nineteen sixties teenagers with records in hand, looking as if they just walked off the lot of a casting session for The Patty Duke Show. In the background there is a bit of a desert scene with some UFOs hovering about, giving off the impression of being between two worlds I suppose. Elliot Roberts in those days though was very big on the idea of TP taking the pole position in the group from a publicity standpoint and that included having him front and center on all of the album covers. So my guess is that an album cover that didn't feature Tom Petty OR The Heartbreakers was never going to fly, although they eventually went that route with "Southern Accents".