Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: 2019 - 2023 Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Jan 11, 2019.

1. windfall

windfall Senior Member

As always, it’s an education hanging on a TP thread with McCool in residence!

josegerdes and Mooserfan like this.
  2. Joe Heimbuch

Joe Heimbuch Forum Resident

DAMN does this sound amazing. Was anyone able to get the hi-res download of Kiss My Amps - Volume 1 when it was available?

Joe

3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I wish:)

4. Britt in VA

Britt in VA Forum Resident

The official Tom Petty Account tweeted a Wildflowers gif about an hour ago. Thinking the announcement on this box set must be imminent.

I saw earlier somebody mentioned Benmont Tench replying to them on Twitter. I also had the pleasure of interacting with Benmont there. I reached out to him randomly one night while listening to Echo, and told him that even though Tom seemed to dislike it, I found it to be a beautiful portrait of the human experience, love and loss. He responded "I love that album, I'm not afraid of feeling what it evokes. Just acknowledging it. I'm really glad you appreciate it's beauty." Made my year.

As far as The Dirty Knobs, their album release has been pushed back to November 20th, one would assume to possible not interfere with a Wildflowers release? I had tickets to see them in Alexandria VA, but obviously that tour has now been rescheduled to Fall '21 due to Covid.

Excited to find this thread. I'm a massive fan.

5. Britt in VA

Britt in VA Forum Resident

Also, EXCELLENT 30 minute interview with Rick Rubin on Tom Petty and Wildflowers:

6. Jack

Jack Senior Member

9am tomorrow EST

Britt in VA likes this.
  7. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

8. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

9. Joe Heimbuch

Joe Heimbuch Forum Resident

Hep Alien and faceinthecrowd like this.
  10. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Great way to start the day. First day pre order here as well. Can’t wait!

11. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Count me in for another first day preorder. I'll probably buy the hi-res, too, when it comes out.

12. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Super. Deluxe. 9. LP.

13. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

So glad to see this finally come to fruition. Tom Petty was the greatest singer and songwriter and a class act. I love everything about him and his music will live on forever.

14. windfall

windfall Senior Member

This is kinda fun. Isolated vocal track for American Girl.

15. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Sept.7 ....... today is Benmont's 67th birthday. :cheers:

[​IMG]

16. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Billy_Sunday, Hep Alien and Alan57 like this.
  17. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That is fun!

I never noticed the phasing on the echo before.

Is it like that on the real mix, or just applied after-the-fact to this isolated vocal? I need to go back and listen to the original very carefully in my headphones now............. :winkgrin:

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  18. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

now that we have the deluxe Wildflowers, I wanted to check back with you experts to be sure I've got all the various versions of Tom's albums:

there's Damn The Torpedoes deluxe
    Highway Companion special edition
    Mojo tour edition
    Live Anthology best buy deluxe
    and now Wildflowers

anything else?

19. pandemidd13ton

pandemidd13ton Active Member

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. dollardime

dollardime Forum Resident

Tom Petty's 70th Birthday Bash - Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench

Mike & Benmont at the Heartbreakers rehearsal and recording space The Club House in California perform a special three song mini set of American Girl, Something Good Coming and We What Boogie Bout Midnight as part of the Tom Petty 70th Birthday Bash.

21. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

Hey everyone, I wanted to point out two recent interviews with Heartbreakers that have gotten a little lost in the shuffle over the past couple of weeks. First, Mike Campbell was on The Moment podcast with Brian Koppelman. I've read and heard a lot of Mike Campbell interviews over the years, and this is literally the best one of all time.

Brian Koppelman podcast with Mike Campbell

Mike historically tends to get a little formulaic in interviews, but Koppelman asks really good, really knowledgeable questions and gets some honest responses out of Mike about stuff like his role in the early Heartbreakers, his songwriting process with TP and Don Henley, TP's reaction to the Dirty Knobs, and more. Great anecdote about the writing of "Heart of the Matter" as well!

Speaking of best-ever interviews, this one with Steve Ferrone gets that distinction as well:

Rolling Stone interview with Steve Ferrone

It's the most in depth I've ever seen Ferrone go. He talks about his own personal life and his pre-Heartbreakers career, with great stories about Eric Clapton and George Harrison, before tackling his role in the Heartbreakers, including how he negotiated for the "Sidebreakers."

If you're a Heartbreakers fan, these are two absolute must reads/must listens.

22. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Feb.1 ..... happy birthday to Mike Campbell, 71 today. :cheers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

has this thread been continued somewhere else ?
    or should a gort add 2021 to the title here ?

@McCool ?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  23. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Happy Birthday, Mike!

@FloydMaui -- most of the recent TP chatter has been in the Wildflowers & all The Rest thread....

This thread might be good turned into a general "appreciation" thread, not tied to any specific year.... ? At this point, that's essentially what it is.

24. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

One frustrating trend I am seeing with the Petty family is they are now putting his name and brand on everything and selling it. Saw an ad on Facebook from the official TP page where they are selling lollypops with Tom's likeness on it. No way if he were still alive would he go for anything like that.

25. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

haven't seen the lollypops, but if true, wow.... kinda sad.

OptimisticGoat likes this.