Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: 2019 - 2023 Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Jan 11, 2019.

1. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

"If true", thanks for the vote of confidence. Like someone could make something so preposterous up.

Valentine's Heartbreaker Lollipops

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  2. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

3. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Nothing personal. I read a lot of stuff on "the internet." Not all of it is true. But seeing is believing, there they are. I reiterate my previous comment:

Sad.

4. windfall

windfall Senior Member

5. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

That's some KISS nonsense. Sucks in all senses of the word.

Hep Alien and OptimisticGoat like this.
  6. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

7. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

Let's be clear. It's one particular member of the Petty family who is putting his name on everything. It's obvious if you remember watching her super-marketing approach to All the Rest. Remember the salad dressing story? Doesn't look so far out now, does it.

8. windfall

windfall Senior Member

It makes me wonder how long it will be before there is another ruction in the family business over the way it is being run. I wonder if the people involved ever ask themselves, if Tom were still alive, and we said, hey, let's market some TP lollipops, what would he say? Really, look at yourself in the mirror, and ask the question again. Jeez.

The Killer, FJFP, CCrider92 and 5 others like this.
  9. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking "Wildflowers" was becoming a lifestyle brand.

10. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

It's sad to see but not surprising especially after the outrageous Wildflowers All Rest debacle. It was priced to high, certain editions were not made available to Tom's fans outside of the USA, unless that is they were prepared to pay high postage costs, customs charges and suffer long deleys and damaged or missing sets.

11. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Is this a real release or a boot? Interesting as the album cover is included in the tote bag/lollipop/Full moon Fever Valentine bundle picture on the website. No mention of blue vinyl. Damn the Torpedoes bundle is sold out.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  12. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

My guess is someone who would have asked that question had to fold their cards, so to speak, to keep the peace.

After what they did with disc five of All the Rest- where you essentially had to pay $100 extra for that disc and it wasn't available in any digital format or part of any other configuration- to be the epitome of greed. I've developed a lot of negative feelings about the estate since then. I usually buy everything my favorite artists put out but I will be thinking twice about it next time. I certainly don't need another copy of Full Moon Fever, even if it IS blue vinyl!

13. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Hopefully the Fillmore box set comes out first!

14. hodgo

Agreed! but will they price gouge us with this set and ignore the world outside of the USA like they did with Wildflowers?

15. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Yes they will.

No matter what we think, they will view the "direct to customer" approach as successful and profitable - to the extent that some of the "limited" sets received a repress. It also means people are purchasing through the website where other merch is available to order at the same time.

But don't worry, there will be a budget version containing some music at your local Amazon depot.

16. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I can imagine a Fillmore Box that puts all the most exclusive, one-off, performed once only perhaps tracks all on a bonus disc that will be the standard $100 extra with some box/box candy.

The model works too well. And we always have to remember, in the end, this is a business. It is about generating money. And the rhetoric about serving the fans is part of the marketing hype. I am not bitter about it. It's just the way it is.

J_D__, The Killer, KAJ1971 and 4 others like this.
  17. hodgo

Yes, I think you're both spot on in that analysis. I do get bitter about it because as a die hard Yorkshire man I don't like being fleeced especially when there's no need for it. All they have to do is do what Neil Young does, you still buy from his website but he's set up a chain for the world outside of the USA, this way non USA fans avoid excessive postage costs and customs charges, hell, it's the 21st century and it's not rocket science.

18. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Oh yes, I agree with you entirely on this part of the equation. I am still left puzzled by the decision not to distribute Wildflowers And All the Rest via a European store, as they did with An American Treasure. Maybe the numbers did not add up. But I know AAT sold out quite fast in Europe too. So it's a weird one.

The Killer, faceinthecrowd and hodgo like this.
  19. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I wonder if it’s conceivable that they’ll go down the Grateful Dead route and have a limited edition version containing all 20 shows?! Might be better if they don’t, because I can see that spelling the end of my marriage!

WaterLemon, hodgo and windfall like this.
  20. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

What was frustrating is there was a distribution chain in place to sell a load of other (cheaper) editions worldwide, BUT.....the larger sets still sold. And if you can sell it yourself, you make more money. The success of Wildflowers will not encourage them to change to a less profitable model.

I've stated elsewhere -the music is phenomenal, but I did not enjoy the process and pantomime around purchasing the Wildflower set one bit. So much that I haven't even looked inside the box....but I am also thankful as it made me take stock about buying certain sets going forward. It made me realise that some of the fun in chasing these sets had disappeared. It made me revaluate the collection I already have and question why I need more, and to simply really enjoy what I have.

So the outcome of Wildflowers for me is it will take something really important to me, for me to part with money this year on music. Already this year I have passed a number of albums that would have been instant pre-orders in the past. Certainly a Fillmore set is already a pass for me....so, silver linings....

21. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Some are walking on Tom's grave. This is disgraceful in the most intense meaning of the word. Tom would not even spend a fraction of a second considering the stuff that's going on.

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I found cheap postage and wasn't charged customs fees. By some miracle no damage considering how packed. On the subject of marketing TP, things are becoming unacceptable, Everything he was against. Don't the surviving Heartbreakers have some say in this?

FJFP and hodgo like this.
  23. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

[​IMG]

FJFP likes this.
  24. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Somewhere Tom just broke his hand again punching a pink cloud.

25. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

The marketing in the last year of stuff Tom would have never signed off on is embarrassing. I think at least once a week they put out a new product blast on their social media.

FJFP and faceinthecrowd like this.