Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: 2019 - 2023 Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Jan 11, 2019.

1. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    - On to new horizons! We made to 2019 gang. This thread much like it's predecessor will be a clearing house for all Tom Petty/Heartbreakers news in 2019. I will try to update it as frequently as possible, but as this is a one man shop, I do indulge your patience and understanding. If the GORTS would be so kind to "lock up" the 2018 thread and let this one continue on, it would be much appreciated. For the record the photo posted above is courtesy of Phil Savenick of Tom Petty touring the old Battlestar Gallactica ride at Universal Studios in the early eighties.

- There is going to be a bit of a reunion for the original Dirty Knobs lineup on January 26, as part of the 2019 Imperial Ball in Anaheim, California. Appearing as part of the house band will be Ron Blair, Steve Ferrone and Jason Sinay who will be joined by special guest Mike Campbell. The concert is to benefit the Susan G. Komen chapter of Orange County, California. Gates will open at 7:00 P.M. with the concert commencing an hour afterwards. Tickets are going fast, so for ticket information please visit https://events.admitoneproducts.com/tkt_sales.php?test=true&event_id=928419&sales=

- The Read, Rock, Repeat blog has a short book review of Jon Scott's book "Tom Petty And Me" which can be read here: Read, Rock, Repeat

- In case you haven't checked out the "Wildflowers" thread on the SHF, Rick Rubin recently participated in an extended discussion with Malcolm Gladwell as part of the "Broken Record" podcast where they discussed the "Wildflowers" album in detail including the second half of the record that was left on the cutting room floor: Tom Petty And The Creation Of “Wildflowers” Broken Record With Malcolm Gladwell And Rick Rubin podcast

- From the archives: A Tom Petty fan recently alerted me to a wonderful interview that Tom Petty did with Oxford Magazine back in 2000. It marks one of the few times he spoke publicly about the "Echo" album as well as also giving some insight into his southern roots: Southern Gallery: Tom Petty

[​IMG]
    - A belated birthday shout-out to Duckhead himself, Scott Thruston who celebrated yesterday. Scott was recently a guest of Steve Ferrone's "New Guy Show" as part of SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" and hopefully will continue to turn up on the channel in the future. Happy Birthday to the best dressed Heartbreaker around! (Photograph courtesy of Craig Erickson)

- Finally, thanks to all of you who contributed to last year's thread and hopefully this year's edition will be just as fun and inclusive. 2019 marks several important anniversaries for Tom Petty/Heartbreakers as it will be the fortieth anniversary of "Damn The Torpedoes", the thirtieth anniversary of "Full Moon Fever" and the twenty-fifth anniversary of "Wildflowers". As I'm sure you are all well aware by now on March 1, 2019, Tom Petty will be the recipient of his first career-spanning hits collection entitled "The Best of Everything - The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016" which will feature two previously unreleased recordings. In addition Mike Campbell has already announced that he will have an album out this year with his band The Dirty Knobs and will be endeavoring to tour the record once his commitments with Fleetwood Mac wrap up. Additionally, Benmont Tench has hinted at the fact that he has begun work on his sophomore studio effort, although nothing has been public beyond that. For the time being enjoy The Dirty Knobs performing "I'm Crying" as part of the "Rising Up To Paradise" concert which took place on New Year's Eve.

Talk more soon!

2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

God (and/or whoever) bless this thread!

The MEZ and Telegram Sam like this.
  3. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

I'm glad the Dirty Knobs are still going in spite of Mike Campbell's commitments in Fleetwood Mac. I still haven't given up hope on a full-length album by them, hopes that I have since I first read the title of their original song "I Sang My Balls Off For You" on one of their setlists on a Heartbreakers related forum. I have never been able to see them live because I live abroad. Back in the MySpace days, I loved the studio version of the cover of "Monkey Man" that Jason Sinay had put on his site. It's too bad he never gave that an official release. He is long overdue for a new album.

Thanks for the new album news hint from Benmont Tench. New album news is always good news.

And regarding Scott Thurston: I'd very much like to listen to a solo album of his. Given the input he had in Jackson Browne's "I'm Alive" album, he's way more talented than his role as a utility man for the Heartbreakers required him to be. I feel now would be a good time to get songs of his own out there, if he has got some.

Needless to say, it's sad that Tom Petty and Howie Epstein are not part of this world anymore and they are missed while our lives go on.

Do you have any idea what Stan Lynch has been up to lately as a producer, songwriter and drummer? He must have worked on quite a few albums for other artists in the past few years that have gone under the radar, unlike Don Henley's "Cass County" album which he didn't even play the drums on. Thanks for letting me know.

Rainy Taxi and The MEZ like this.
  4. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  5. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Guitar and synthesiser by Scott.

vonwegen, MoosicLuvr, sami and 5 others like this.
  6. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Please keep us posted on Wildflowers on vinyl reissue, as is or deluxe, expanded version.

Sean and Mr Hankey like this.
  7. MWC

MWC Forum Resident

2019 is certainly going to be a good year for Tom Petty fans. I’ve also been told a few other surprises (beyond Best of Everything and the probable Wildflowers re-issue) are in store for the fans this year. :)

8. McCool

The Dirty Knobs are slated to have their debut album out later this year! Stanley to the best of my knowledge is still in Florida and performs occasionally (check the 2018 thread for a video of an appearance he made last year at a Tom Petty tribute gig).

There has been some Benmont Tench news percolating the last couple of days including him recording with Grace Potter and an upcoming gig with Phil Lesh. Tench will be performing alongside Phil Lesh & Friends for three nights in Port Chester, New York (March 14-16, 2019) so for Heartbreakers fans on the East Coast this is a rare opportunity to see Benmont Tench in concert! Jambase has an article up on Tench's upcoming activities and if you scroll down the page, there is even a link for tickets to the Lesh gigs: https://www.jambase.com/article/benmont-tench-phil-lesh-grace-potter

[​IMG]

9. MWC

MWC Forum Resident

Benmont will also appear on at least two of three Ryan Adam’s new records this year (Big Colors and Wednesday’s). Whoo hoo!

10. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Benmont’s shows with Phil Lesh should eventually be available from here.
    nugs.net - Live Music Lives Here

11. McCool

[​IMG]
    Guitar World has posted up a new interview with Mike Campbell, where the guitarist speaks about his relationship with/dealing with the loss of Tom Petty, his new gig with Fleetwood Mac, his upcoming record with The Dirty Knobs and even the imminent "Wildflowers" archival project gets a mention:

Mike Campbell Discusses His New Gig with Fleetwood Mac and an Epic New Tom Petty Box Set

NOTE: It seems as if this interview was conducted under the assumption that "The Best of Everything: The Definitive Career-Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016" retained it's original release date of 11/2018. That collection as indicated above has been pushed back to 03/01/2019.

ceddy10165, FFF, Tedw9 and 7 others like this.
  12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Any chance of a release of "Kiss My Amps III" for Record Store Day this year? I'd enjoy a release from the Hypnotic Eye or last Mudrutch tour.

13. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I always thought there would be a RSD edition of that Live 2014 Fan Club release. It wouldn't surprise me if one arrived this year.
    Or else, perhaps a 7" preview of something from the Wildflowers reissue?

J_D__ likes this.
  14. McCool

SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" has been circulating a bumper crop of tracks from the 2017 40th Anniversary tour for quite some time now. I've always felt that collection of tracks would make an excellent RSD release at some point in the future. As "Four Walled World" referenced above, there have already been fan club issues of material from both the 2014 "Hypnotic Eye" tour and the 2016 "Mudcrutch" tour.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  15. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

16. MWC

MWC Forum Resident

Bonddm likes this.
  17. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Late to the party, didn't know about this thread! Looking forward to any and all updates we can get from the number one Petty authority, @McCool !

The MEZ and Bonddm like this.
  18. McCool

[​IMG]
    Hey y'all. Sorry for ignoring this thread last week. All I can say is influenza is the modern version of the black plague. Getting back to the land of the living as we speak.

- Last year, I mentioned a tremendous film from Andrew Slater entitled "Echo In The Canyon". The film documents the Laurel Canyon music scene in the nineteen sixties including key artists such as The Beach Boys, The Mamas And The Papas and The Byrds. Among the cast of heavy hitters that Slater was able to interview for his documentary, was Tom Petty in one of his final interviews. Last week DEADLINE announced that "Echo In The Canyon" was picked up for distribution by Greenwich Entertainment. More on the film can be found here: Greenwich Acquires Jakob Dylan & Andrew Slater’s 1960s Music Docu ‘Echo In The Canyon’

- "Sizzlin Memphis" Jon Scott recently sat down with the Desert Underground Podcast to talk about his book, "Tom Petty & Me". Scott's recollections always make for an interesting listen and his stories about Petty are second to none: Desert Underground Podcast: Episode 11 - Jon Scott - The Man Who Jumpstarted Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Career

- Awards Season Is On...and once again the Tom Petty/Heartbreakers family has much to celebrate. First and foremost, another one of the many individuals whose tireless work behind the scenes throughout the years on the road was recognized on Friday night (01-25-19) at the Parnelli Awards. Chris Adamson, who served as the production manager for Tom Petty/Heartbreakers (among a myriad of other bands) was feted with Parnelli Lifetime Achievement Award, A hearty congratulations goes out to Chris Adamson for his years of service to so many bands. If you aren't familiar with Chris or the work that he has done and want to become acquainted, he appeared the Roadie Free Radio podcast last year to speak about his career which you can listen to here: 059: CHRIS ADAMSON/Production Manager/Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, John Mayer, Pink Floyd AND here is a link to the announcement for his Parnelli Awards honor: Parnelli Lifetime Achievement Honor to Go to Chris Adamson

- Speaking of awards, Tom Petty's classic 1989 release "Full Moon Fever" will celebrate it's thirtieth anniversary by being inducted into the Grammy Hall Of Fame! It was announced last week that the decision had been made to include "Full Moon Fever" for preservation as a timeless recording: 2019 GRAMMY Hall Of Fame Inductees Feat. Tom Petty, Aerosmith, and more - Music Mayhem Magazine

- FROM THE ARCHIVES: Here is something pretty cool, a nearly hour long audio interview with Tom Petty where he speaks at length about "Into The Great Wide Open". The interview dates from 1991 and represents one of the rare occasions where Petty spoke at length about this particular record: Tom Petty- Into the Great Wide Open | In The Studio with Redbeard

- Finally, on Saturday night the original Dirty Knobs lineup took the stage at the Imperial Ball. For those who were unable to attend, here is Mike Campbell, Ron Blair, Steve Ferrone and Jason Sinay performing "Runnin' Down A Dream". Note: The stage positioning for The Dirty Knobs is nearly identical to that of The Heartbreakers!

19. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Thanks for this excellent thread, @McCool! As I noted in the American Treasure thread, I have fallen in deep with the Heartbreakers' music. I am very sad that I didn't do so while Tom was still with us, but I'm glad to see that his legacy will endure and that his music will still be alive in 2019. I'm really looking forward to the probable Wildflowers set. It's a record I've been hearing since I was a little girl. A favorite of my parents.

Sean, Billy_Sunday, GoodKitty and 3 others like this.
  20. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

That mug is great. I wonder if there will ever be a "Concert for Tom" similar to the one they had for George Harrison "Concert for George".

dougb222, btltez and Paul Getsey like this.
  21. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

What's the story on the continual postponement of The Best of Everything set?

November 2018 > February 2019 > March 2019 > ???

22. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

They should. Have the Heartbreakers as the backing band (with Stan Lynch drumming on the pre-1995 (?) tracks) and guest vocalists like Stevie Nicks.

I really wish they'd open the floodgates for more archival releases. I'd like every source concert for the Live Anthology released as a digital download, as well as a Complete Fillmore Concerts mega set.

23. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

:righton:

24. McCool

I mentioned this in TBOE thread (but not here). The skinny as far as it pertains to the push-back of "The Best of Everything - The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016", is that "An American Treasure" outstripped performance expectations commercially. So it was thought best to allow that particular compilation room to breathe before issuing further product onto the market. No fear though, TBOE is coming on 03-01-19 and "For Real" perhaps even a bit sooner than that. Keep your eyes peeled and your ear to the ground.

As far as other things going forward? As MWC indicated above, 2019 is going to be a good year for Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fans. Nothing that can be discussed publicly at the moment but stay tuned!

25. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

This performance is great, but I’m under the impression that’s Mike came out for a couple of songs as opposed to doing a full set like he’d done in the past. The band is hot, though.

I’m surprised Mike chose to play the big body Doozy Fullerton series signature model as opposed to his smaller bodied 30th (blue, I bought this model last year) or 40th (Green) Anniversary Starplayer TV signature models, but at the same time it doesn’t look like he had his familiar amp/pedal setup (no sign of his trademark Princeton Reverb amp is a dead giveaway), borrowed an amp to play through, and the Fullerton signature model has a preamp that must’ve been able to give him the gain he needed when he needed it.

I heard Mark Felsot say that Benmont was supposed to have been a part of the house band, but maybe he either didn’t make it or did a couple of songs as well.

I hope so. Can’t get enough Petty, seriously.