Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: 2019 - 2023 Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Jan 11, 2019.

1. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Me too. Same way I love Ferrone as the drummer for AWB, but not Petty.

FashionBoy, Christopher B and walrus like this.
  2. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

A lot to talk about here.

I am shocked that "Wild Eyes" has not seen a CD/hi-res/vinyl reissue release. I heard it on Tom Petty Radio twice, and it completely knocked me out. The only version on YouTube is a noisy needledrop.

I read somewhere (late at night, can't remember when/where) that a couple of covers were attempted for Terminal Romance: "Don't Bring Me Down" (a rare studio version with presumably Noah Shark playing a shaker/maracas) and Slim Harpo's "Baby, Scratch My Back", along with the infamous "Parade of Loons"

I've heard of this project, specifically the Irvine Meadows show. "Rockin' Around (With You)" made its way onto Pack Up The Plantation while "Refugee", "Surrender" and "Any Way You Want It" found their way onto The Live Anthology. From other shows on that tour, "Shout" from March 19, 1983 in Richfield, OH, also showed up on Pack Up The Plantation while "Straight Into Darkness", "I'm In Love" and "Louisiana Rain" from December 7, 1982 at Wembley Arena in London and "American Girl" from the Cow Palace on April 13, 1983 showed up on The Live Anthology.

I knew about Dave Stewart (his contributions that wound up on the finished album and possibly more unreleased stuff) and Stevie Nicks (the original version of "The Apartment Song", but I never knew about the Brian Setzer collaboration. I have a lot of respect for him, and he and Tom both love(d) rockabilly, so that collaboration would be interesting to hear! Hearing about it, a rockabilly track would've suited the album's theme better than "Make It Better (Forget About Me")

So far, the Southern Accents outtakes that have been released are "Trailer", Nick Lowe's "Cracking Up", Conway Twitty's "Image Of Me", Jimmy Reed's "Big Boss Man" and "Walkin' From The Fire". I know that Tom said that they laid down a version of "Never Be You" that Rosanne Cash would record, so there's one song that hasn't come out yet. And the Brian Setzer collaboration. A Deluxe Edition is needed for this one!

The songs from these sessions that have been released are "Make That Connection" (the post-Iovine, pre-Lynne incarnation of the band at its best), the odd "Moon Pie", the country version of "Damage You've Done", "Got My Mind Made Up", "Ways To Be Wicked" and "Can't Get Her Out". The Japanese website "Here Comes A Heartbreaker" lists two tracks called "Goodbye Little Rich Girl" and "There Ain't Enough Money In The Whole Wide World" as outtakes from this album.

As far as the album remixed go, "It'll All Work Out" was remixed in 2005 for the Elizabethtown soundtrack, and was remixed again in 2015 alongside "Runaway Trains" by @ryan de topanga for the vinyl reissue of Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) released at the end of 2016. "The Damage You've Done" was remixed by Mr. Ulyate for An American Treasure released last year. After hearing Mr. Ulyate's remixes of those three tracks, I would gladly welcome a remix of that LP with open arms.

I bought the VHS on eBay in 2007 for extremely cheap, and I still have my VCR because of this tape. The only songs that are readily available in audio form are a cover of the Count Five's "Psychotic Reaction", Van Morrison's "I'm Tired Joey Boy" and Charlie Rich's "Lonely Weekends", all of which can be found on Playback while "Into The Great Wide Open" can be heard on An American Treasure.

All the Petty fans here know my thoughts about this one. With the 25th anniversary of the album looming on November 1, which is a Friday, the day new music has been released on since 2015, the timing would be perfect.

As far as I know, these sessions took place between July 21-23, 1993. The covers that have been released are "Baby, Let's Play House", "Wooden Heart" and "Something In The Air". The latter appeared on the final album while former two came out two years later on Playback. The originals that have been released are "Mary Jane's Last Dance" (on the final album), "Come On Down To My House" (on Playback) and "Lonesome Dave" (on An American Treasure)

The top archival release I want to see only beaten by the Wildflowers Deluxe Edition.

I like Last DJ, but I can see why many thought it was controversial. "Here Comes A Heartbreaker" has tracks under the names of "Back Into Los Angeles", "Showtime" and "Alive Again" as three outtakes from this album.

One of the songs my gut tells me was from this batch was "Black Leather Woman". I wonder if it was in vain to how The Rolling Stones' did their Blue & Lonesome album, which was one of the best things they'd done in a long (and I mean LONG) time.

Judging by "Playin' Dumb", the alternate "Sins Of My Youth", "Bus To Tampa Bay" and "Two Men Talkin'", I don't disagree with Benmont. That one would be fun to hear!

Those "Highway Companions" club releases are absolutely wonderful.

Thanks for the rundown @McCool . An American Treasure and Best Of Everything both have me salivating for more.

3. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

There's another one called "Tonight Might Be My Night" to add to that list. They played it once or twice then cannibalized a guitar part for the riff in"Mary Jane's Last Dance."

I think the "Blue Moon of Kentucky" cover that came out a while back on an Elvis compilation comes from this session as well.

A lot of great potential projects you and @McCool laid out. For me, the aborted blues albums in the '00s would, after the long-overdue Wildflowers box, be my most anticipated one.

4. MCE1965

MCE1965 Senior Member

Are these 2015 remixes of Runaway Trains and It'll All Work Out available on any digital release? I know the hi-rez of Let Me Up features the original mixes.

Billy_Sunday and cwitt1980 like this.

5. Here’s one of those articles with Tom’s quotes, in link coming below:

Tom Petty on Confederate flag: "People just need to think about how it looks to a black person. It's just awful"

Tom Petty on Confederate flag: "People just need to think about how it looks to a black person. It's just awful"
    Musician tells his own history with the flag to Rolling Stone in a smart, honest, moving piece

6. windfall

windfall Senior Member

They played Goodbye Little rich girl when I saw them at Wembley arena 14/10/87.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  7. KinkySmallFace1991

The hi-res version of the album that I purchased on August 12, 2015 (this date is significant because it’s a little under a year and a half before the vinyl was released) has the original mixes. Whether @ryan de topanga saw that the original mixes were replaced with the new ones when the vinyl came out or not, I can’t say for sure.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  8. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

There’s Stan Lynch Heartbreakers and post Stan Lynch Heartbreakers. He was amazing.

9. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not sure, although given that you indicated that the hi-res release of "Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)" does not include the remixes is probably a good indication that they were ever released digitally. That said in addition to the two "Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)" remixes there are a few mixing anomalies that every Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fan should be aware of that are available on the market:

To begin with back in 1985, E.T. Thorngren remixed two versions of "Make It Better (Forget About Me)" which were issued as a single. The first mix is a straight forward instrumental mix of the track, but the second mix is pretty unique. Entitled "Dance Mix", it completely recasts the entire song in nineteen eighties gloss, a good predicator that this particular mix will never see any type of reissue in the twenty-first century. As most Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fans are aware of, "Make It Better (Forget About Me)" was never one of TP's favorites anyhow.

Both the extended mix of "Into The Great Wide Open" (as heard in the music video for the song) and the alternate mixes of several "Wildflowers/"She's The One" tracks that are heard buried deep within the soundtrack of the "She's The One" film have already been discussed here so I won't belabor the point on those. That said, in 1994 Tom Petty and Rick Rubin did prepare an alternate mix of "You Don't Know How It Feels" designated for radio airplay in markets that were uncomfortable with the "roll another joint" phrase. On this alternate mix, Tom Petty sings "So Lets Get To The Point/Lets Hit Another Joint", which makes you wonder why MTV didn't just use this mix for the music video instead of the infamous "Roll another nooge" bastardization of the song.

Although the Ryan Ulyate remix of "It'll All Work Out" as featured on the "Elizabethtown" soundtrack is fairly well known by Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fans, what most fans don't realize about that particular package is it also contains a slightly deviant mix of "Square One". The mix as presented on the soundtrack is nearly identical to it's "Highway Companion" mate until it reaches the final chord which is given a far more elegant presentation on "Highway Companion" (perhaps due to an overdub?) in comparison to the soundtrack which sounds as if it retains the song's original final chord.

The initial vinyl reissue of "Greatest Hits" in 2017, contained a true curiosity as a deviant mix of "Mary Jane's Last Dance" was used in place of it's far more familiar mate. The difference between the two mixes couldn't be more pronounced as the refrain is different as instead of singing "Last Dance With Mary Jane/One More Time To Kill The Pain", Petty sings "Last Dance With Mary Jane/'Round The Room And On My Way". Vinyl collectors will have to confirm as to whether or not this likely error was corrected on subsequent pressings.

In preparation of the digital release of the "Playback" rarities in 2016, Tom Petty made a slight alteration to the track "Travelin'", replacing the original phrase "I'll Be Good As Good As Gold/Till The Nth Or Maybe Better" with a modern overdub which reads "I'll Be Good As Good As Gold/Hold You In My Arms Forever". The compact disc issue contains the original phraseology, while the overdub can be heard on it's digital counterpart.

Speaking of digital anomalies, at least initially the Pono version of "Echo" retained the original mix of "About To Give Out" which designates the "Roy Rogers Town" as something entirely different. Again, much like the aforementioned "Mary Jane's Last Dance", this was likely due to error and I'm not sure if this mix has been subsequently replaced with it's more familiar mate.

Finally as KinkySmallFace1991 mentioned the Mudcrutch track "Wild Eyes" above, there is an alternate version of that track as well, with a completely different (and superior!) Tom Petty vocal track on it. Hopefully if/when a Mudcrutch archival release reaches market, they use that version of the track, instead of the version that appears on the 45.

10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yup. He also did some nice work with Duran Duran, Clapton, lots of others. But I never thought his style fit with the Heartbreakers, at least when playing the older stuff. Too heavy-handed and on the beat...Stan was more of a Charlie Watts type, laid back and behind the beat, letting the guitars and songs propel him more than the other way around, if that makes sense. I hate that there's so much official live material from the post-Lynch years compared to pre-'94.

RoyalScam likes this.
  11. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Hi - does anyone know which box set (CD) includes "Girl on LSD". There is a place that sells vintage type music and I recall there was some type of box set (some live recordings possibly) that included this song...and now it's been sold....so I want to have them order another one, but don't recall which box set this is on. Does anyone know? Thank you!

12. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

"Girl on LSD" hasn't appeared in any of the box sets. It's only release has been as a b-side of "You Don't Know How It Feels." It will probably be part of the WILDFLOWERS: ALL THE REST whenever that is finally released.

13. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

I remember holding the 12" single in my hand at Musicland back in the day. Didn't have enough money to buy it. For years and years I searched for this, and eventually a year or so ago I acquired a FLAC rip of the vinyl. Upon listening to it, I immediately regretted that I'd searched for so long. I love the album version, but the dance mix is terrible.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

15. MoosicLuvr

MoosicLuvr Well-Known Member

Planning to face the traffic and crowds in October to see this marker raised and attend the Tom Petty tribute.

Sean likes this.
  16. McCool

[​IMG]
    Hey y'all,

I hope you have been enjoying your summer (if it indeed is summer where you are at!). Anyhow here are a few recent news items that you might enjoy perusing as the seasons start to change:

- Mike Campbell recently sat down with Guitar World Magazine to speak about the "Damn The Torpedoes" album: Mike Campbell recalls Tom Petty's Damn the Torpedoes: "We were determined to make the best-sounding record ever made" | Guitarworld

- Likewise Diablo Magazine conducted an interview with Benmont Tench regarding a myriad of subjects including working with Bob Dylan and the monthly Benmont Tench Show which airs on SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio": Exclusive Interview: The Freewheelin' Benmont Tench

- Here is a little bit more about the recently discussed Universal Studios fire and how it relates to the music of Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: Universal Music Group Claims Tom Petty, Tupac and Steve Earle's Original Masters Weren't Lost in Fire

- Rolling Stone recently published an article regarding the sale of several rock legends' childhood homes being sold to market. Within the article it mentions that Tom Petty's estate recently purchased Petty's childhood home in Gainesville. Although I rarely editorialize in this thread, I'd be remiss not to mention that I am glad the plans for a potential "Tom Petty Museum" did not materialize. While I understood that many in the Tom Petty/Heartbreakers community were excited that a Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fan was interested in purchasing the property, I felt that what was being overlooked was that as it pertained to his personal life, TP seemed to be an extremely unassuming, private individual. My best guess was that a tourist attraction/museum piece would've been something he would have not been in favor of: Forget Guitars. Buy a Rocker’s Childhood Home

- A few final notes: Although not yet available for online viewing, the latest issue of Classic Rock magazine contains a feature on Tom Petty with comments from his bandmates and family. The documentary, "Echo In The Canyon" featuring Tom Petty will be issued on DVD/Blu-Ray on September 10. Also the photograph posted above recently surfaced courtesy of Dave Stewart and ties together a few loose ends regarding the "Southern Accents" album. It has been previously mentioned that during the recording of the album, Petty collaborated with several other artists aside from The Heartbreakers and for the first time we have a photograph of some of the participants. Pictured alongside Petty are Dave Stewart, Clem Burke, Brian Setzer, and Jimmy Iovine all of whom contributed to the "Southern Accents" project and although three of the collaborations with Dave Stewart were released on the album, there are still several others that this group of talents recorded that still remain unheard.

17. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

But... WHEN will Wildflowers deluxe see the light of day? Ever?

btltez likes this.
  18. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Thank you McCool for the update!
    I had the same question about Wildflowers...I’m assuming we will hear about the likelihood (one way or the other) of a fall release so I always hope for some tidbit when you post :).

19. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

When the daughters and wife of Petty stop being...petty.

bobloblaw and Billy_Sunday like this.
  20. KinkySmallFace1991

Sadly, I think @RoyalScam seems to have the right idea. If a 25th Anniversary release was going to happen with a release date of 11/1, then I'm sad to say that I think we'd have heard something about it earlier this month.

To take the sting out, all this week, I'm planning to play the hi-res of American Treasure. Gonna have to be Good Enough, I guess. :shrug::hide:

Sean, Paul Getsey, Mooserfan and 2 others like this.
  21. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Unfortunately, I don't see anything else being released of Tom Petty. Too much family fighting going on....and I think there is enough out that he left behind for everyone to enjoy for decades to come. No need to put anything new out cause ultimately, it's probably going to be 99% of songs we already have on previous albums and maybe 1 new song here or there.....I think Petty put out the best stuff he had and left the other stuff in "the vault"....so it should, and probably will, remain there. Just my opinion, but I'd rather see a reprint and update of that book "Conversations With Petty" and some live concerts on DVD or Blu Ray released. The music is "timeless'.....and I enjoy ever single song and album of Pettys.

22. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    RoyalScam likes this.
  23. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

Just published by St. Petersburg Press, I Need to Know: The Lost Music Interviews includes 23 historical conversations that were either never published, never published in their entirety, or were written for Goldmine in the 1990s and '00s and subsequently disappeared. My book includes transcriptions of four lengthy interviews with Tom Petty: 1. 1985, on the roof of the Don CeSar Hotel on St. Petersburg Beach, just after the band's "rooftop" set (a lot of Southern Accents detail; he also talks about the abandoned 1983-84 live album); 2. Midnight in a New York hotel, 1986, following a Dylan/Heartbreakers show at Madison Square Garden. Kind of drunk and freewheeling, talking about his excitement for the upcoming "raw" double album he says will be called Let Me Up I've Had Enough; 3. 1989, just before Full Moon Fever is released, talking at length about that album and the Wilburys; 4. A 1993 Greatest Hits song-by-song (not the transcription, but the original Gainesville Sun story).

Other interviews in the book include Neil Young (2); Stephen Stills; George Martin; Linda Ronstadt (2); Merle Haggard; Emmylou Harris; Rodney Crowell; Guy & Susanna Clark; the Bangles; Bo Diddley; Mary Hopkin; Ian Anderson; Rosanne Cash; Dave Mason and more.

It's available through Amazon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  24. McCool

As it pertains to the ongoing estate issues, I've elected not to comment on those matters as I respect the process and the process needs to play itself out. As to everything else you've written here, with all due respect it's pure fiction. Tom Petty/Heartbreakers have a massive trove of unreleased works including songs that 99% of their public have never heard before or in some cases don't even know exist. I can empathize with your respect towards Tom Petty's judgment when it came to selecting content for his albums, but know this as fact: Tom Petty loved box sets and throughout the latter portion of his career highly rated 1995's "Playback" as one of the cornerstones of his catalog. So yes, there is going to be more music (and likely video) heard and seen from the Tom Petty/Heartbreakers archives. Perhaps not immediately but eventually.

Bonddm, Sean, Billy_Sunday and 8 others like this.
  25. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

I've read that pre-LMU interview — it's pretty great. One of my favorites because TP is so unguarded and freewheeling (possibly because of a bit of inebriation, haha). It's interesting to see how the LMU album morphed from a raw, Exile-style double album to a single album with the '80s pop stuff mixed in.

WaterLemon, jeremylr and DeYoung like this.