Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: 2019 - 2023 Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

I was definitely reminded of "Brown Sugar" too. With a little bit of the Wildflowers outtake "Somewhere Under Heaven" in there as well. And some "What Condition My Condition Was In" for the intro... Great song!

Rockford & Roll and Bonddm like this.
  2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Can we have the 2020 thread now, please?

3. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  4. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

Looking for assistance from all you Tom Petty experts. I remember hearing Tom intro one of their songs on Sirius by mentioning how Mike Campbell used a lick very similar to his work on the Boys of Summer. But now I can’t remember which of the TP&H songs it was. Any idea? Thanks

5. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

"Runaway Trains" reminds me a bit of "Boys of Summer." Could that be the one?

6. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

That would be the one. TP originally called it "too techno" for him when Mike Campbell offered it up, but ultimately was pretty upset for passing on it when it became a huge hit for Don Henley. So "Runaway Trains" was their attempt to recreate the magic a couple of years later. I think it's a good song, though obviously not the hit that "Boys of Summer" was.

7. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

thanks to you both

8. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was forty years ago today...that Tom Petty/Heartbreakers performed the final concert at the Whiskey A-Go-Go. It was arguably the best performance of their legendary stage career!
    [​IMG]
    Just sayin'

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  9. McCool

Tom Petty actually worked on the music for "The Boys of Summer" during the "Southern Accents" period in that he re-wrote the chorus, but aside from that ultimately never finished the song beyond what was presented to him by Mike Campbell. However, the version that Don Henley received several months down the line that he turned into "The Boys of Summer" did have that particular alteration to the chorus that was Petty's contribution to the song. Evidently, around this time Petty also had a piece of music that was in line with some of the progressive rock that was on the radio at the time and much like "The Boys of Summer", this particular piece of music apparently was also never completed in terms of fully fleshing out lyrics or perhaps even the arrangement. Either way it seems as if these would've been those type of things that Stanley may have been making reference to in the 1989 VHS release "A Bunch of Videos and Some Other Stuff", where he's chopping up the drum machine as there was a period there where Petty was employing a "psuedo-Stanley" sometimes referred to around his familiars as Mr. Rhythm Ace.

10. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

looks like 40 years. time sure flies. :righton:

11. McCool

Also doesn't help if you haven't had your morning coffee! Cheers mate! :D

milankey likes this.
  12. McCool

I just want to make one additional correction to this post: It should read "On January 21, 1980, Tom Petty/Heartbreakers performed THEIR final concert at the Whiskey A-Go-Go". The Whiskey is still going strong folks! As an act of contrition, I now offer you the setlist for that evening courtesy of setlist.fm:

01. Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)
    02. Anything That's Rock 'n" Roll
    03. Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)
    04. Here Comes My Girl
    05. When The Time Comes
    06. The Wild One, Forever
    07. I Need To Know
    08. Don't Do Me Like That
    09. Cry To Me
    10. Refugee
    11. Strangered In The Night
    12. Too Much Ain't Enough
    13. Luna
    14. Even The Losers
    15. Don't Bring Me Down
    16. Listen To Her Heart
    17. American Girl
    18. Breakdown
    19. Century City
    20. Shout!
    21. Somethin' Else
    22. I Fought The Law
    23. Any Way You Want It
    24. Route 66

That is almost the entire first disc of "Playback" there folks and with some tasty bonuses thrown in! Doesn't get much better than that!

13. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I got my ticket for the Denver show.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  14. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

When I found out they were doing a show in New Orleans over JazzFest weekend, I wondered if they were going to be at the Festival, too. My suspicions were correct. I'm just relieved that they are offering another option for those of us (LIKE ME) who don't like the festival atmosphere.

Still going to the club show in New Orleans, and the people I've talked to about it so far believe that the JazzFest setlist will be focusing more on promoting the album, while the club show will be closer to what they've done in the Los Angeles-area shows prior to Tom's death.

Once agaion, folks I've talked to about it so far say that the club/pub/bar shows during JazzFest weekend after hours are often superior to what you see/hear at the festival.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  15. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Yes, it's true. And the late night shows often go until dawn. Make sure you are rested up and hydrated before you go out for those late night sets!

16. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

Damn...that is one strong set list...must have been a phenomenal show!

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Was this officially recorded? Could we potentially see a release of this?

18. McCool

Several years ago, I was able to get in contact with a Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fan that attended this particular show. As I recall he resided in Newport Beach at the time and had missed out on the previous night's performance at the Los Angeles' Forum. That concert was one of the red-letter dates on the "Damn The Torpedoes" tour as if I'm recalling correctly it was one of the first major venues in their adopted home state of California that Tom Petty/Heartbreakers would perform at. However, according to this particular fan word began to travel throughout the grapevine that evening, that Tom Petty/Heartbreakers would perform a very special concert the following evening at The Whisky A Go-Go, so it seems that attendance at The Whisky gig was truly a word of mouth affair. He was able to score a ticket to The Whisky gig and the buttons that were either given out/sold that night had to have been printed up fairly quickly as I was given the impression that the Whisky performance wasn't necessarily on the tour itinerary.

I've been given the very strong impression that The Whisky A Go-Go performance was not recorded professionally. That said, NBC did turn up at this particular show and pro-shot some footage and clips of that footage can be seen briefly in the Peter Bogdanovich documentary "Runnin' Down A Dream".

supermd, Prism and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  19. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Barring that, does it circulate in, um, “other circles”?

Paul Getsey likes this.
  20. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Gee, I wonder if there is something in the pipeline. Was listening to the Petty Channel the other day and when they played “The Woods” it no longer lists it as a Petty Channel exclusive unless I somehow missed it

Rockford & Roll and Paul Getsey like this.
  21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Good song. almost sounds like a Heartbreaker's out take.

22. alaskanmalamute

alaskanmalamute Member

Greetings to all the people on this forum.
    Being a fan of Tom since 1988, I always find a lot of interesting things here. Perhaps someone can help me with the answer to a question that has been tormenting me for a long time.
    Tom Petty certainly knew Lindsey Buckingham, especially since they even recorded together (at least Buckingham participated in the recording of Tom's two albums).
    But this is strange ... I have never seen a single photograph wherever they were together. Do such photos exist at all?

23. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Just saw that there's a new European pressing of Wildflowers (2LP, Gold). Anyone have any information?

24. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

I’m blind. It’s a bootleg. Please ignore :doh:

maccawings likes this.
  25. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

here in my time zone it is still Feb.1 ....... Mike Campbell's 70th birthday :cheers:

[​IMG]