Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

This is what piques my interest as well. The quality of material we've received through "new" songs on the posthumous releases has been top notch so far, from "Keep a Little Soul" to "You Saw Me Comin'." That's the kind of stuff that really moves the needle for me, and there's a lot more of that gold to be mined.

2. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Same!
    Enough of these re-releases to get us to buy an album with 1-4 new tracks....just do some nice box sets to gather it all in one place, instead of all these messy and unnecessary re-releases already.

Wingsfan2012, FJFP and faceinthecrowd like this.
  3. Charlie Holt

Charlie Holt Forum Resident

hodgo likes this.
  4. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

looks like Amazon US has pricing and links for both the CD and Vinyl now. CD now at 14.98 and LP for 22.49 I will try to buy this in-store at Newbury or something to support a somewhat local business.

ARK and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  5. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I agree with your main idea, but I'm tired of overarching box sets with different price points that cause arguments here and leave fans feeling cold.

Or out in the cold.

I personally prefer short 1 or 2CD releases that deal with a specific album or era or that are otherwise thematically connected.

A nice big box that claims to "gather everything in one place" rarely succeeds in doing so---certain things are always held back for another release--and are --usually-- overpriced.

But I agree that everything so far has been high-quality.

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  6. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Just a heads up...

SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" just premiered "Angel Dream/French Disconnection", "105 Degrees", "One Of Life's Little Mysteries" and "Thirteen Days" from the forthcoming Tom Petty/Heartbreakers album, "Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One)". The forthcoming release features a fresh remix of the selections as supervised by longtime Tom Petty/Heartbreakers' producer/engineer Ryan Ulyate alongside a reappraisal of the original track listing. Of course the entire album will be available to purchase as an RSD First selection on limited-edition cobalt blue vinyl beginning this Saturday, June 12, 2021!

Talk more next week!

laf848, supermd, Billy_Sunday and 4 others like this.
  7. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

ARK, faceinthecrowd and MikeVielhaber like this.
  8. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

Did they play the full tracks on the show or snippets? It might be worth taking a drive at noon to hear the tracks if it's full songs although Sirius on my wife's car sounds really bad due to the compression.

this is on youtube now.

9. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

The selections were played in full as part of a World Premiere Special featuring Benmont Tench, Dana Petty, Adria Petty and Ryan Ulyate as hosted by David Fricke. There was also a lot of specific information provided on the new release and all of the new tracks [more than I can get into here], so it is definitely worth your time if you have access. Also since it was just posted up by the official Tom Petty/Heartbreakers' social media accounts, I suppose there is no harm in sharing that "Angel Dream", the first single from the new album "Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One)" is now available through all digital streaming services. There is also a music video scheduled to debut to accompany it's release which should premiere shortly.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  10. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

This small record shop literally three minutes from my grandmas house tipped me off that they’re getting one. I cannot wait.

Btw, the remix of the title track by @ryan de topanga is phenomenal, like all of his remixes. I miss him so much. His insights and comments were invaluable. It’d make me a very happy man if he came back.

11. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

Did anyone else get to hear the new songs? I caught them once each on XM. Without scrutinizing or being able to listen super intently, these were my brief first impressions:
    • "One of Life's Little Mysteries" is a breezy shuffle. Kind of reminded me a bit of "Full Grown Boy," except not as good (not meant as a put down — "Full Grown Boy" is an underrated standout track IMO).
    • "105 Degrees" is a "Lonesome Dave" style rave rocker with Stan on drums and Benmont on that vox organ.
    • "French Disconnection" is an instrumental version of "Angel Dream" with a beautiful guitar voicing of the song's melody.
    • "13 Days" we all know and love already as a song the band played live for decades. This studio take, which also features Stan on drums, is a solid, full arrangement.
    I hope to hear them all again soon and frequently!

12. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

According to Pro Studio Masters, the new single, Angel Dream, originates from a 44/24 source so maybe that 44/24 She's The One digital download from year's past is actually 44/24!

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  13. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Trying to decide whether or not to get up early and try my local store. It's a small shop, they may only get one copy in, I guess. How many TP obsessives living in the Winchester, UK area? Declare yourselves now!

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

One of my locals goes online at noon, so I'm focused on that.

windfall likes this.
  15. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Stan on drums:). A little swing please……

breakdown7, hodgo, FJFP and 1 other person like this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'm just about finishing this up. The songs are a lot of fun.

J_D__ likes this.
  17. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Can't wait for this.....what a beautiful song Angel Dream is. Petty was such a fantastic singer
    and songwriter. 40+ years and not a single bad song...at least not to me.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  18. livin´thing68

livin´thing68 Forum Resident

... I am now on my way to my record store. I am very excited.

faceinthecrowd, J_D__, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Good luck!

20. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I've alerted everyone I know in the Winch area.

harmonica98 and windfall like this.
  21. DELLOTRON

DELLOTRON Forum Resident

I don't mind the cover so much but I do the odd bit of design for my own home demo releases etc..so I did this in about 20 minutes with my few little apps. Just for fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

They had 6 copies in Perth UK) There were about 20 people before me at opening time. At 8.40 I was grabbing the last copy according to the shop keeper... pheww....

ARK, faceinthecrowd, supermd and 2 others like this.
  23. windfall

windfall Senior Member

They were all there, all five of them, in front of me in the queue. Fortunately they were too preoccupied, seated in a circle with their Wildflowers scented candles and sharing Tom Petty lollipops, so I managed to sneak past and grab the only copy in the store.

ARK, harmonica98, bobloblaw and 3 others like this.
  24. windfall

windfall Senior Member

First listen. One of Life’s Little Mysteries is definitely one of the most underwhelming unheard TP songs released since his death. 105 Degrees is much better. It’s a nothing lyric but it is a great HBs rocker (Stanley!!). Nice to have Thirteen Days. Have always loved Supernatural Radio so nice to have it in slightly extended form. French Disconnection is sweet. Nothing on this revamp has altered my opinion that ***hole is probably the dreariest recording Petty ever released. I can’t stand it.

Final thought. In 1991 I saw Chris Whitley open for Petty in L.A. on the ITGWO tour. There is definitely some kinship, lyrically, between Supernatural Radio and the Whitley early masterpiece Dust Radio, link below for anyone who does not know it...

25. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Is supernatural a different , longer version then? Didn't know that...How much longer?

Will listen to my copy later on..