Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

I was going to take one for the team and order the digital version today to see what formats are available. It's pre-sale only till July release of other formats.

2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I just preordered this on CD. I also picked up the Deluxe "Wildflowers" set and "Finding Wallflowers". These are my first posthumous Petty purchases.

FJFP likes this.
  3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I bought 13 albums on RSD and this was the only one that had issues.

4. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Actually, TP himself was always outspoken about disliking the original She's the One soundtrack. He felt he had to pull it together too quickly in order to meet the movie's deadline, and regretted many of his song and production decisions.

Obviously, the release last year of Wildflowers and All the Rest -- another TP-sanctioned project -- also led to this new album's creation, since several songs from the Wildflowers sessions ended up on She's the One.

BTW She's the One is hardly "lost." Readily available on CD. The 2018 LP is out of print, but not hard to find.

jammincrowe, marcb, jeremylr and 4 others like this.
  5. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Additionally as Adria Petty mentioned on SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio", the OST is still going to remain available through all digital streaming platforms alongside the new "Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One") release.

6. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I don't know if this has been mentioned in a previous post, but the pressing of this actual RSD 2021 release was done at Precision Record Pressing in Canada, according to Discogs. Precision Record Pressing is an affiliate of GZ Media just like Memphis Record Pressing. What I find troubling is that Warner/Rhino which has long been the leading label embracing quality vinyl pressings is now sending work to unreliable plants? Maybe Warner/Rhino had no choice given the delays these days in getting vinyl projects pressed, but the recent Joni Mitchell Archive releases seem to have been pressed in the Czech Republic also. If this trend gathers momentum, I will be carefully monitoring my Warner/Rhino purchases in future and won't buy anything that has been pressed at plants with QC/expertise issues. I don't need the [potential] grief!

jumpinjulian likes this.
  7. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

My album had a chunk out of it and looked like it had been through war. No quality control.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  8. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

I have to wonder if just this pressing was done outside of Warner or if the black vinyl released in early July will be too.

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  9. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Wonder why the TP reps here have to say about these poor quality pressed copies of the new album.....

really makes me not want to buy a new TP release in the near future, they are REALLY losing my trust....2 new releases and both have issues in one way or another.
    that's strike 2 now

10. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Oh, that’s just mean.

11. The vinyl version of Neil Young Archive release Noise And Flowers is being done in Argentina.No idea how widely this is being done.
    Glad I gave vinyl up 35 years ago.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  12. windfall

windfall Senior Member

My impression of TP vinyl issues and reissues in recent years has been 99 per cent positive, usually completely glowing reviews. I can only assume that they went a different route with this new release (maybe done as a rush job, different pressing plant?). Mine seems OK but I am not a vinyl obsessive.

faceinthecrowd and jumpinjulian like this.
  13. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Happy to hear. But it shouldn’t be a lottery.
    There’s also reports of the Finding Wildflowers 2LP also suffering from pressing issues.
    It’s a real shame that those involved put so much love and care into creating this release, only to have it ruined at the final stage.

Satrus and hodgo like this.
  14. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Tom Petty's recent vinyl releases have been pressed at Record Industry in the Netherlands and before that, at least the TP & THE Heartbreakers' new releases, Pallas in Germany was used. Usually the plant that presses the initial release retains the Stampers so I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadian affiliate of GZ Media will press the black vinyl. The only way that might change is if there is a significant number of complaints from purchasers who have been 'burned' with defective copies. Given the situation that obtains in the U.S. where the consumer has to 'swallow' the cost of defective vinyl records in many/most cases, I think I would 'walk away' from the format if I lived there. At least in the European Union, we have excellent consumer rights and pretty reliable pressing plants for the most part except for one or two perhaps. How is it that MPO in France can press flawless copies of Bob Dylan's 'Rough And Rowdy Ways' 2LP set and yet produce awful dreck with other artists' releases? It's all down to [cheap] pricing if you ask me. You have to pay for Quality Control and I am fine with that, speaking personally.

marcb likes this.
  15. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Gave this another listen last night. I just can’t hear it as it’s own “album” concept. I hope to change my mind over time but for those who know and loved “She’s the One”, I suspect we’ll only be able to see this as random songs thrown together. And the decision to keep “*******” instead of “Hung up and Overdue” or “California” just makes no sense to me on the track list. That song wasn’t great on She’s the One but at least it made sense as a soundtrack concept. It seems completely out of place here.

JoeF. likes this.
  16. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I imagine you know the track in question is a cover. Was always a bewildering choice for me. It's a dreary drag to these ears. Compared to the gorgeous yearning of Hung up or the sunny pop of California... no brainer. But then I understand the reasoning given those two songs found their place on the Wildflowers ... and all the rest package.

FJFP likes this.
  17. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I’d actually forgot it was a cover! Now it really doesn’t make sense on this release.

windfall likes this.
  18. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I mean, those tracks are missing because they've been sucked up by the Wildflowers package, where they technically belong. I am in the camp that loves the STO LP, and I play it often, but this release, in the wake of W&ATR, makes perfect sense (somewhat).

davenav likes this.
  19. eetu

eetu Forum Resident

Well, technically One Of Life's Little Mysteries belongs to the Wallflowers sessions, so if that track can live in Angel Dream, the others could, too.

The truth is Tom Petty never worked on album like Angel Dream, so any choice is arbitrary.

Still, Angel Dream is a cool what if concept. I prefer She’s the One, though. It’s very to listen to as a stand-alone album, and being a soundtrack it feels more cohesive than Angel Dream. That said, Angel Dream would have worked nicely as a follow-up to Wallflowers if She’s the One wouldn’t have existed.

20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It's a cover of a Beck song that would have fit right in on his own Mutations album released a couple years later.

FJFP likes this.
  21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

To be totally honest, I've always thought of She's the One as "random songs thrown together"--but I still loved it.
    I suspect I'll feel the same way about Angel Dream.

22. MechanicalAnimal6

i think it fits just fine on the album of Becks' that it is already on, Mellow Gold.

such a good album!

JoeF. likes this.
  23. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I know it's on One Foot In The Grave. I don't remember it being on Mellow Gold.

24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I meant that Tom's version would have fit on Mutations.

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  25. MechanicalAnimal6

Looks like i got it confused with another song title of his that is a swear word, haha

Track 11 on Mellow Gold is "Motherf-er"

WarEagleRK likes this.