Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I never pre order from Amazon anymore as even with Prime the hardly ever get it there on the Friday of the release anymore.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  2. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

You and me, both! :cheers:

Unfortunately, it sounds like that is not what is on deck anytime soon... [rumors are next will be some kind of live release, but at this point its just rumors...]

3. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Pretty sure that most of the tracks have Curt Bisquera on drums.

jumpinjulian and jeremylr like this.
  4. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

The new tracks at least are Stan numbers!

Also, for UK fans who are okay with coloured vinyl for this release, Banquet seem to have received a bump in stock, listing '20+ left' at £22.99: Tom Petty / Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream [RSD21]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  5. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Several of Tom's interviews indicated his desire to revisit and give Echo the attention that was deserved but lost in the wake of Howie's death.

The liner notes for the Live Anthology stated a very significant number of tracks were mixed for the project and not used. Would seem to be a much easier path than a complete exhumation of Echo. I had figured that at some point we'd get another tomb of Live material which is fine by me :) Count my blessings I saw Tom 4 times over the years.

6. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

My dream next project is the unreleased pre-Heartbreakers Mudcrutch LP. Not only would it be a trove of new material, but also a nice cheap single LP for us!

(Of course, a double LP with any songs not slated for the original album will be fine by me...)

7. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

A deluxe edition of Mudcrutch 2 would also be good, considering they reportedly recorded around 20 tracks.

supermd, VictoryHighway, ARK and 6 others like this.
  8. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

On this theme, a box of all the previously unreleased Mudcrutch recordings throughout the years would be even better.

supermd, VictoryHighway, ARK and 10 others like this.
  9. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I am probably in a minority here, but I felt the democraticising on that album was not a positive step. I found some of the non-TP songs a little embarassing.

breakdown7 and Arete411 like this.
  10. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I'm with you on this in that I would rather have just had an album of Petty songs.

Arete411, FJFP and windfall like this.
  11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, I will cross my fingers then and hope for the best...!

I must say, I feel a bit guilty that I saw him enough times over the years [mostly at the same venue] to have lost count... back in '86 [or was it '87, the tour with Georgia Satellites], my car broke down on the way to the show and the tow-guy was kind enough to volunteer to drop us off at the venue, fix my car during the show and pick us up & take us back to his garage after... [I think it was a broken radiator hose, I probably paid way more than I should have for the repairs, but totally worth it!] "Oh, the stories we could tell..." :cool:

12. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Nice story, yes, I only saw him 5 times, all at Merriweather Post Pavilion.

13. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

According to Benmont, there's an entirely "new" album that can be made from the Hypnotic Eye sessions, too.

supermd, 500Homeruns, ARK and 10 others like this.
  14. KinkySmallFace1991

So, the general release for this album will be Friday. Yes, I have the blue cobalt vinyl already, but I don't mind double-dipping to get the uncompressed masters that were used as the source to cut the vinyl...I enjoy this release that much.

jumpinjulian and Arete411 like this.
  15. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

What? Is the black lp better sourced than the blue one?

16. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

No

marcb and onm3rcur7 like this.
  17. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

I'd love to see what's left from Echo. It doesn't seem like one there'd be a lot of demand to revisit, but She's the One certainly didn't seem like a likely candidate, so if that one got a reexamination, you can't rule out Echo. There were 15 songs on the initial release, plus three more out there in some form or another (Sweet William, I Don't Belong, Gainesville) that didn't make the album (Sweet William cruelly IMO, as it is an absolute killer track). Getting close to double album territory, or at least a darn good single outtakes disc, with a few more uncovered gems...

18. KinkySmallFace1991

They are sourced from the same hi-res masters that will be released to the public on Friday...as far as I know...maybe @ryan de topanga can clear this up for us?

19. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

I think 'She's the one' was a natural candidate for re-release after the release of All The Rest, they were literally in the same vault for STO when pulling material to complete the ATR project so it's a natural extension especially when they failed to add 13 Days to the big box set. Tom hated Echo for years until Dana reintroduced him to the disc. Echo is a masterpiece but I don't think it was anywhere near the commercial success of his earlier stuff. I have no doubt the deluxe treatment is applied to the full catalog in due time but I don't see Echo as a big priority.

20. KinkySmallFace1991

I actually see Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) being the album that gets the treatment next. In 2015, Tom said he wanted that album remixed and Benmont and Stan said that the outtakes are a much better album than what came out.

After Live Anthology came out, Mike and to a lesser extent, Benmont, have championed seeing a "Best of the Fillmore" multi-disc set hit the market. I see that as the next big Petty thing, and I see it happening pretty quickly, too. It also follows She's The One in terms of the Petty timeline. I'm with Mike and Ben; I'd like to see the Fillmore set next, too.

Here's all the Fillmore '97 stuff we've seen so far, with dates accounted for:

Live Anthology:
    Diddy Wah Diddy (2/1)
    I Want You Back Again (2/7)
    Friend Of The Devil (2/3)
    Jammin' Me (2/7)
    Green Onions (2/6)
    Goldfinger (1/31)
    County Farm (2/4)

An American Treasure:
    I Won't Back Down (2/4)

Wildflowers & All The Rest:
    Walls (2/6)
    It's Good To Be King (1/31)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    supermd, enro99, laf848 and 12 others like this.
  21. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Ryan already remixed some of the LMU (IHE) tracks for the vinyl reissue a few years back, and they sounded great. I would definitely like to hear an overhaul of that entire album, since the production is the most dated in his discography. And I'd like to have a CD release of the current vinyl version.

Also, on a related note, I'd like to see a Long After Dark deluxe reissue. That's another one where several of the band members, including Benmont and Tom himself, claimed that much of the best material was still in the vaults.

22. KinkySmallFace1991

I knew that @ryan de topanga had remixed "Runaway Trains" and "It'll All Work Out" for the vinyl reissue of LMU, and AFAIK, those two remixes are only on the vinyl. I picked up the 96/24 hi-res remaster of that album back in August of 2015, and that included the original versions of both. I don't know if the title had been revised to include the remixes or not. Either way, his remixes outshine the originals by a long shot. He first remixed "It'll All Work Out" back in 2005 for the Elizabethtown movie soundtrack, and it sounds virtually identical to the one heard on the vinyl, except it fades out later, while the vinyl remix fades at the same spot the original album version does.

He also remixed "Damage You've Done" for American Treasure and that one sounds great, too.

As for Long After Dark, so far, we've heard three different versions of "Keepin' Me Alive" (which all sound great), "Turning Point" and "Keep A Little Soul", which all give a better glimpse into what the album could've been. Contrary to popular belief, I believe it was @McCool who explained to us that "Heartbreakers' Beach Party" was never a Long After Dark outtake, but actually recorded during Hard Promises, and I believe "Between Two Worlds" has a similar story.

enro99, Rough&Rowdy, btltez and 4 others like this.
  23. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

"Runaway Trains" has always been one of my favorite TP songs. But hearing Ryan's new remix, making the song sound more natural and less stilted, was thrilling, and has now replaced the original, in my mind, as the definitive version. I really wish there was some way to get that mix in digital, so I can listen to it on the go.

24. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I’m assuming if you order from the TP store you get a hi res download included?
    Not an option with the blue RSD release.

25. ryan de topanga

ryan de topanga Forum Resident

Yes, both versions of the vinyl are sourced from the 2496 masters that will be available for download.

BTW, really enjoying your ideas for future projects here ;-)

mraulino, supermd, arob71 and 12 others like this.